Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E stock capabilities?

Old 05-05-2008, 06:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E stock capabilities?

Hey just want to start off by saying I'm currently a GT owner(02) and I'm going to make the jump over to a LS1 F-Body. Just wondering how much power can a stock(with and without aftermarket stall if that affects this) 4L hold? As soon as I get the car I plan on using my nitrous kit off the GT(bumping it from a 125 to a 150 of course) and later down the road going with bolt-ons+ a mild cam. I don't beat on cars a lot(had the bottle on the GT for 3+ months only used 4 so far). Just wondering if this transmission is capable of taking 500 or so rwhp beatings every once in a while. If not I will have to continue my search for a "fabled M6" car lol.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

get a good built trans and good converter, emphasis on the good part, the stock 4l60e doesnt like the powert a stock ls1 puts out, if you plan on spraying it you are definatley gonna wanna get either yours built with a good converter or just buy a new trans and converter, and external cooler, big external cooler. if ytou dont wanna do that, keep lookin for a M6
Old 05-05-2008, 10:35 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick Sh0t xMLx
Just wondering if this transmission is capable of taking 500 or so rwhp beatings every once in a while.
I have a question for you: do you expect a medium duty transmission designed to hold 350bhp to hold 500rwhp?

Not only will a stock 4L60E not hold 500rwhp, but it shouldn't hold 500rwhp. Hell, when the 4th gen F-body's were made, GM didn't even have a transmission that was rated anywhere near 500rwhp Even 4L80's aren't rated that stock. Nitrous is one of the worst mods to a transmission too because of the sudden huge torque loads the tranny suffers. It's classic for breaking all kinds of hard parts. You're going to want to go with a built trans, and you're going to want the best model you can get. You want cryo/hardened everything because of the huge torque loads of nitrous.

The 4L60E is a fine transmission for stock and bolt-on cars, but they're no good for any kind of internal engine or power adder/FI mods unless you build them up - and you need to get it from a GOOD builder that specializes in them because they're a very difficult trans to build.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright thanks for the info and sorry for being a "noob." Looks like I'll probably be sticking to a M6.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:40 AM

It's all good. I have some coupons saved up for KFC, I hear they're selling lettuce transmissions now.

We should go grab a couple tomorrow!
Old 05-06-2008, 06:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

sticks are great for the streets...but if you plan on taking this car to the track often id go with a auto...a built auto with a stall is something hard to beat off the line...and you can build these a4's nowadays to almost be bullet proof...put it this way...you can spend 2k on a built tranny or 2k on a rear end for a m6
Old 05-06-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by staringback05
sticks are great for the streets...but if you plan on taking this car to the track often id go with a auto...a built auto with a stall is something hard to beat off the line...and you can build these a4's nowadays to almost be bullet proof...put it this way...you can spend 2k on a built tranny or 2k on a rear end for a m6

exactly!! its either rear end for a M6 or a tranny for an A4! atleast with an auto the rear end has a better chance of holding up than an M6 from what i was told.. im saving up for my tranny right now..
Old 05-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Quick Sh0t xMLx
Alright thanks for the info and sorry for being a "noob." Looks like I'll probably be sticking to a M6.
The M6's are stronger in stock form, but even they won't like 500rwhp. The clutches are absolute junk at that. Even the aftermarket $1,000 clutch setups are replaced often. The rear end explodes under stock power on M6's, too, something that doesn't happen often with an A4.

Fact is, it's cheaper to run an A4. Buy a built A4 and you'll go faster for less money with less problems.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by staringback05
put it this way...you can spend 2k on a built tranny or 2k on a rear end for a m6
And 1k on a clutch and flywheel...and another 1k on a clutch another 20,000 miles later...and another 1k on a clutch 20,000 miles later...etc...all that to run slower at the track

M6's are fun on the street but for the track and for longevity, they take a backseat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4L60E stock capabilities?