Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80 cluth tech ? for builders

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l80 cluth tech ? for builders

I'm installing the Red Eagle clutch pack in my 4l80, forward drum. The new clutch pack replaces the wavy plate and bottom pressure plate, and gives you 7 clutch discs with a .128 bottom bottom plate. The instructions recommends .040-.055 clearance from the top friction to the bottom lip where the top pressure plate rests. ( I know confusing to type ) The best I can tell I only have .025 or so, unless your suposed to measure to the top of the lip, to the beveled part. And that's after I used one of the old steels which are .060 or so, and not the thick .128 supplied with the kit. Will this work or am I doing something wrong? There is no way you could use the .128 steel, you can't even install the snap ring. Any help would be greatful.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:47 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be taking the measurement between the pressure plate and the first friction. I have not used that pack so very little help here from me. Not sure why a 7 clutch pack would be needed in a forward clutch. To me it really does not make any sense when the clutch pack is really not a failure issue normally in this trans. It is possible that alto had designed that clutch pack for a different apply piston than what you are using. Just a thought. Good luck. Vince
Old 05-23-2008, 08:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Eliminating the wave plate in the forward drum may cause very harsh PRND ENGAGEMENT are you sure you not speaking of the direct clutch the one with the sprag on it ?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-23-2008, 11:19 PM
Banned

Sounds like a direct set up to me. They're both the same, as in the same clutches fit both drums, just different thicknesses and number of plates depending on which drum it's in. Adding a plate to the direct is quite common.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah its the forward drum. Its hard to tell where the top pressure plate rests on the ledge, and the ledge is beveled. You can't get a feeler gauge in there with it assembled because of the springs. If the top plate rests on the top of the beveled ledge, then I think I'm good. Maybe the new clutch pack is made for a after market drum and piston. I did replace the piston just to see if the old one was the problem and its the same. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Firechikn
Yeah its the forward drum. Its hard to tell where the top pressure plate rests on the ledge, and the ledge is beveled. You can't get a feeler gauge in there with it assembled because of the springs. If the top plate rests on the top of the beveled ledge, then I think I'm good. Maybe the new clutch pack is made for a after market drum and piston. I did replace the piston just to see if the old one was the problem and its the same. Thanks for the input.
FWIW in the future play with the adjustments before you put the piston return spring assembly in place.