Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80e rebuild. Direct drum, 5 plates with wave plate, or 6 plates without wave plate?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 02:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,246 Likes on 871 Posts

Originally Posted by tayto
I asked dana and he said he had never heard this problem. I have built a few 700s and a buddy wants me to rebuild the 4l80e in his 92 GMC that he uses for landscaping. I want to dual feed but not familiar with this trans at all. sounds like increasing the reverse orfice in the separator plate or (worst case) removing the reverse checkball will make this more "user" friendly. while it's easy for the builder to say wait 2 seconds while switching from D to R, in the real world this probably won't happen or will be forgotten.
If I were to build a 4L80E for a plow truck or something similar, with the direct piston "dual-Fed"...

I would use an after-market direct drum with no place for a lip-seal and multiple feed passages to get more volume of fluid, more quickly to apply the piston...

As well as use a valve-body (or modify a valve-body) that does not block either of the reverse or direct center-support passages... feeding from both sides of the center-support, like in a trans-brake application.

The 3rd accumulator would also be deleted.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,246 Likes on 871 Posts

Originally Posted by tayto
I asked dana and he said he had never heard this problem. I have built a few 700s and a buddy wants me to rebuild the 4l80e in his 92 GMC that he uses for landscaping. I want to dual feed but not familiar with this trans at all. sounds like increasing the reverse orfice in the separator plate or (worst case) removing the reverse checkball will make this more "user" friendly. while it's easy for the builder to say wait 2 seconds while switching from D to R, in the real world this probably won't happen or will be forgotten.
Dana is a Great guy!
He will service, rebuild, and sell parts for almost any type of Transmission (especially GM RWD Transmissions).

However, he specializes in the THM700-R4 Transmissions and the 4L60E/ 65E/ 70E Transmissions.
Over many, many years... he has been able to collect all of the correct information from the correct people and places; to become one of the Very-Best THM700-4R/ 4L60E EXPERTS!

I would not hesitate to send anyone to Dana for a THM700-4R/ 4L60E Transmission or parts!
He has built himself a great reputation! ...and he deserves it!!!

For other types of transmissions, he can also take care of most customers...
He however does Not specialize in other types of transmissions; and if someone needs something special, he would refer customers to someone who does specialize in the particular transmission desired at the time.
He always asks for any information that he does not already have... that way he continues to grow and expand his knowledge-base. Dana is awesome that way!

For anything that is not-stock regarding a 4L80E; Dana will usually reach-out to another expert (He often will give me a call when he has questions).

Quick Reply: 4L80e rebuild. Direct drum, 5 plates with wave plate, or 6 plates without wave plate?