Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THM200C to 4L60E swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THM200C to 4L60E swap

I wasnt sure where to post this...... so admins pls move if not appropriate.

I was going to do a TH200C to 4L60E swap.

I had the following concerns.

The TH200C console shift plate has only 1st, 2nd and D positions where as the 4L60E has OverDrive. I would like to use my stock console, shift lever and ****. How difficult would it be to mate this to the 4L60E shifter? Does the 4l60E care if the lever is in D position and will shift automatically from D to OD based on rpm and throttle position or is there some kind of switch, mechanisim inside the console box that does this and force to to change the console, shift lever.

Thanks.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Has anybody used this or something similar. The discription looks promising. I have not been able to get a hold of the company yet if this will work with a THM200C shifter and 4L60E transmission.

Here's the discription : Part #: SC2262

Use your factory-installed shifter with a newer overdrive transmission. This conversion kit includes a new laser-cut and hardened detent, lens adaptor and all the hardware and brackets needed for use of the original cable.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:58 PM
Banned

You're leaving out just about every piece of information needed to answer any question.
What you're working on would be nice to know.

That shifter stuff is for a specific type of shifter, not universal.

If you had to use a three speed shifter with a 4 speed trans typically manual first is eliminated. Doing it this way will also keep the indicator in the right position for P R N D.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Also is the 60E gonna be full manual valve body are you buying a controller ? How will be be run?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-27-2008, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
You're leaving out just about every piece of information needed to answer any question.
What you're working on would be nice to know.

That shifter stuff is for a specific type of shifter, not universal.

If you had to use a three speed shifter with a 4 speed trans typically manual first is eliminated. Doing it this way will also keep the indicator in the right position for P R N D.
My bad......I have a 1982 Trans Am with a THM200C in it. The indicator's on the console are 1-2-D-N-R-P (bottom to TOP).

I am trying to keep the console stock looking with using a 4L60E which has OD. I looked on later Trans Am with 700R4 or 4L60E , the indicator on those are 1-2-D-OD-N-R-P.

The reason I chose the part above was many 81 camaro's and firebirds has the 3-speed THM200C in them. I was trying to find if this was possible.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Also is the 60E gonna be full manual valve body are you buying a controller ? How will be be run?
I never thought about that. Thanks you asked.

The 4L60E I will be swapping in will be from a 2000+ F-body.

The only thing close that I have on my list-to-buy is the following. I got it from hawksthirdgenparts.com

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/in...ROD&ProdID=906

Electronic to Mechanical Speedometer Box,
Install a mechanical tachograph or operate a mechanical speedometer on a vehicle equipped with an electronic speedometer signal (sensor).

So you are saying that the

4L60E is electronic signal controlled
THM200C is mechanical signal controlled

And I would need some kind of controller. I am also getting the LS1 and the complete PCM and harness. I though that would take care of everything.

Any help is appriciated
Old 06-27-2008, 05:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by screaminChick-n
I am also getting the LS1 and the complete PCM and harness. I though that would take care of everything.

Any help is appriciated
Thats the most important thing right there. You should have no problems with the trans shifting. And if that shifter is specific to your year then it's what you need. Or you could get a shifter out of a '84 or something that had a 700R4 maybe.
Not sure on the speedo. Although the conversion boxes usually work, I am just thinking the 4L60E uses the rear speed sensor for more than the speedo.

You should be able to swap it in and drive it with what you have. The shifter and speedo are things you need to get worked out and it looks like you're going in the right direction with that.

Quick Reply: THM200C to 4L60E swap