Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trans gurus, need your help

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008 | 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Default trans gurus, need your help

i just put my whole car back to stock, i had lost third and fourth before i tore the car down. i had a freind of mine fix the trans, it was a bad band, and he ended up changing just about everything. before i ever blew third out, when the car was in first gear and you give half throttle, it would instantly shift to second?? so no i just took the car out and all the gears are there, no slipping, or grinding or any problems besides it shifting into second way to soon.
note, i dont have the car on a stock tune right now, i had a stroker motor in there, hence why it blew. right now the rev limiter is at 5300 (because it ran out of injector). i never did have this problem until after the tune also. what do you guys think? could it be the 1-2 shift solonoid?
Old 07-18-2008 | 11:23 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor
15 Year Member

No I would bet on a tuning issue and the very early shifts will kill the trans particularly the 3-4 clutch set. By the way the band is second and 4th not 3-4

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-19-2008 | 01:30 PM
On The Tree

thats kinda what i was thinking, because my limiter is set at 5300rpm, and my shift points would have to be screwed up i would assume. do you think ok to drive it out to my tuner who is about 45 min away?
Old 07-19-2008 | 01:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor
15 Year Member

well I would manually upshift to prevent the early shifts but as long as you do that and the shifts are firm you should be good to drive to the tuner

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-19-2008 | 10:50 PM
On The Tree

I did also notice that it shifts early even if you manually put it in first.
Old 07-20-2008 | 12:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

not to try and hijack but my tranny does this as well now i have 116K on the clock and few mods but i have driven it hard since the additions and i felt that the car was shifting way too soon especially when i give it more throttle. i didnt know if this was a problem but i knew it wasent good cause where i would expect the car to stay in first or second it would shift up when i rolled into the throttle and then back down when the TPS figured out the position i suppose. the shifts would be first to second and second to third and each one would be early. it doesnt do it all the time though.

by the way everything on the tranny is stock but i think there is a shift tune on it with ls1edit, i have the program on my laptop and i can change it if i need too just someone tell me which direction to go(and explain everything to me with a little more depth shoot me a pm so we dont clutter this fellas thread) again im sorry i dont mean to hijack. oh i also feel a shudder(small not very big but i can feel it) when i take off hard or when i rev the engine or when crusing over 2k or right at 2k. ???????

Last edited by usaf_hess; 07-20-2008 at 01:01 AM.