Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E knocking???

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 12:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 4L60E knocking???

i need help trying to figure out what is causing this noise on my 99 T/A thats practically stock(Mods in SIG).After the car is warmed up the trans makes this clunking, knocking noise in Drive and Reverse when applying the break(stopped), but once i start going i can't hear it anymore and its not like my exhaust is loud at all since its stock. If i put it in park you can't hear anything. The trans shifts great and firm and has 50k on it. Im not too worried yet but want to know what everyone thinks is wrong before i go to a trans shop. thanks for any help, i need it bad.

UPDATE

i took a look at the flexplate and it is fine no cracks. the converter bolts werent loose at all either. so now im puzzled of what to look at next. like i said it only makes the noise in gear at idle. it goes away once i start moving.

Last edited by fbodyman1026; 10-12-2008 at 01:26 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 08-12-2008, 09:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

well if it makes the noise in gear brake applied I would have to say converter bolts or cracked or damaged flex plate would be likely

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-12-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah its only when in gear and when brake is applied. so to be sure would i have to drop the trans and check everything out or what??
Old 08-12-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fbodyman1026
yeah its only when in gear and when brake is applied. so to be sure would i have to drop the trans and check everything out or what??
Should be able to get the car in the air, remove the dust shield off of the trans and with a flashlight check all the convertor bolts, look for cracks, etc.

Stick a long arm rachet on the crank nut and turn it so you can get a good view of the whole flexplate and convertor. Be sure you're turning that rachet to the right on the crank...dont want to loosen that sucker at all.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by performabuilt
well if it makes the noise in gear brake applied I would have to say converter bolts or cracked or damaged flex plate would be likely

had the same problem on my 99... Check what he tells you.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

sorry for bringing this thread from the dead but where exactly is this dust shield located and what does it look like. I think I found it, is it the small round circle on the drivers side. I don't understand how to get a good view from there at all.

Quick Reply: 4L60E knocking???