Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st and 2nd gear slip and jerk when getting on it ????

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 10:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1st and 2nd gear slip and jerk when getting on it ????

I'm having a weird problem in my 95 TA. I think it's a valve body problem but I havent been able to get it scanned because no one around here can rear codes from an obdI car with an obdII connecttor.

When your driving normal at part throttle the trany is perfect. As soon as you start to get into the throttle more, say past like 3/4 throttle and 3-4,000 rpm and your in 1st or 2nd the trany starts to slip. While it's slipping it shakes the whole car, it's hard to describe but it feels like gears skipping teeth. It feels like you were in a manual and the clutch was slipping and chatering bad as you tried to take off. The thing is it's been doing this for a while and hasn't got worse.

If you put the shifter in 3rd instead of OD it will do the same thing in 3rd as well. But if you are in od and you're going 80mph in od and floor it it will downshift to 3rd and pull fine to 120+

One other thing I should mention... I had a problem with the trany slipping in 3rd and 4th for a while. It ended up being my tail light fuse was blown, when I replaced it the trany worked flawlessly for a week or so before it started me. Call me crazy I don't know if it's possible for that to cause that but the fuse instantly fixed my trans slipping problem and my non working tail lights ha. Before I realized the taillight fuse was blown and I was troubleshooting I would disconect the battery and reset the PCM then go for a drive. The trany would not slip for a few shifts then after a while it would start again...

Well I don't know, I guess I'm just looking for some insight, sounds like a valve body problem to me but I hate autos and know nothing about them, Im a t56 guy. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

EDIT: I also wanted to mention that sometimes it "free floats" until the trany catches up to the rpm that it takes to start accelerating, I forget the term for that, like there's no decell. It usually only does that if you leave in in 3rd instead of OD if I recall correctly.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like the trans is tired, However on the scanning , I dont know if yours has it but I worked on a 95 once and it had and OBD2 connector and My scanner would not work there. But Upon close inspection under the dash guess what I found. It had both connectors the OBD2 and the old GM-1 the GM-1 connector worked and I was able to scan the codes, Be leave it or not it happened There was no power on the obd2 hookup in the car.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-20-2008, 10:45 PM
12 Second Club

I only have the one port, advance auto can scan it but the nearest one to me is pretty far and I don't have the time to get out there. I got it scanned before this started happening and it had a maf and knock sensor code but I had been driving it like that forever with no trany problems.

The trany is a gm goodwrench corvette 4l60e with a f body tailshaft. It dosen't have many miles on it, less than 20k I think. Thats why it leads me to think theres a problem, and its not just tired.

The trany cooler line came loose on it a bit before I had problems and I drove it home after I toped it off but it got drove a few miles on little fluid. Could I have just doomed it with the driving it with little fluid then driving it slipping because of the blown fuse?
Old 08-20-2008, 10:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The blown fuse could only have caused the converter to not lock so no there, But the driving with low fluid even a very short distance could very well do considerable damage

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-20-2008, 11:18 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah. I know the TC wasnt locking up but when in 3rd or fourth when you would get your foot into the petal it would slip, liek from 2k to 6k and not going anywhere, The fuse solved the problem..... odd I know but I **** you not haha.
It did get drove low on fluid...

Would it do me any good to take the VB out and "clean" it? I mean I have no idea what I'm looking for. I've installed a shift kit on a 700r4 before but that's my only experience with autos. Would the fact that 3rd is fine when the gear selector is in OD but it acts up when its in 3rd lead you to think it might be something to do with the valve body or a selenoid or something? What I'm trying to get at is that is there anything I can do to remedy it without droping the trany or paying some one? This is just my DD untill my other TA is finished and I would like to not spend a dime on it because I'm looking to sell it soon.

Quick Reply: 1st and 2nd gear slip and jerk when getting on it ????