Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission fluid question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 03:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Default transmission fluid question

I assume you can't put all 11 or 12 quarts in the trans at on time before starting the car and running it through the gears, because I just tried to do that and now there is fluid all over the floor coming from the vent tube i believe and the dipstick. Please tell this is why the fluid is on the ground, I hope its nothing else. Let me know thanks
Old 09-13-2008, 12:00 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Generally you should dump 4-5 quarts in it before starting the vehicle. Have more ready to go in before starting. Then add 4-5 more and start checking the fluid level. Once you feel you are close, while running, move the shifter in all ranges to fill the clutch packs and various circuits. Recheck fluid level again. Top off if needed. When full, with the wheels in the air, run through all the gears to check operation and also to finish filling the clutch circuits that might have not been filled previously. Recheck fluid and go for a test drive. If everything seems good and the trans is full, your ready to start enjoying vehicle again. Vince
Old 09-13-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks for the advice, but what did I wouldn't hurt anything would it, I didn't think it would?
Old 09-13-2008, 01:12 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry I got caught up in the fill procedure. It should be fine and what you see if probably coming from the vent. If when you get it running and it is overfilled here is some info I posted today on how to drain some while running.

I would pull a cooler line and empty some into a clean jug. The bottom line on the trans is the pressure line and the top is the return to the trans. If you have a place near the cooler to do this is where I would attempt to drain some fluid. Trace the lines from the trans so you choose one that will work for doing this. Disconnect the line and install it into a jug with someone holding it. Then have a second guy start the vehicle while the jug fills to the desired amount you need to drain. This way if you need to put some back in you have not wasted the ATF. Good luck. Vince
Old 09-13-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks I appreciate it.