Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

ASE Cert

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 06:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 92slowmaro
im in orlando fl. i have been on the waiting list for the assesments since the dawn of time. lol.(not really ive only been at the dealer for 2 years.) my goal is to become world glass, did you fly out to detroit or do they offer them locally to you?
i went to atlanta to do them. just pay attention and do what they are looking for.

we had a guy who was world class, couldnt fix a flat tire. but he could pass a test...
Old 07-19-2008, 02:51 PM
Teching In

The tests are based on the Big 3 so if you're a foreign car tech(me), i think they're more difficult. Example... Auto trans test had a question where the correct answer was that auto drain pans don't have drain plugs. Every auto trans service that i've ever done on a Porsche has a drain plug. I've only done about a dozen of them but that's because we don't see a whole lot of cars with high miles. Many of our customers cars are garaged most of the year and annual miles are fairly low(under 5000). I'm presently an L1 Master but i find the need to use a study guide to keep me up on the Domestic changes.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

i feel some of the questions are good but theres some that they have that you could argue about that could go either way.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fraser@SpeedInc
When I took brakes test, very little had anything to do with basic, how do drum brakes work question, or like car pulls left, could the left front caliper be stuck?

Most of my test was, ABS electrical and hydroboost diagnosis, and of course heavily slanted toward GM vehicles.

Hyrda.... unless you are using water pressure.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Good usefull thread, being that im looking towards when im done with UTI I can do the manafacture programs and in 2 years of working become ASE certified.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Ima UTI graduate and went through the Ford graduate program If you are goin to UTI I strongly suggest the grad programs you will learn far more things when you get into them than the core program especially if you have any automotive knowlege at all u will be bored. But just make sure you keep your grades and your attendance high cuz they don't just let any ******* in if you know what I mean, plus alot of the dealerships u may apply at will ask for them and its on your transcripts, and I know they say they help you with job placement there was alot of openings on the east coast so you have to keep an open mind on your placement. But as far as UTI was all the testing was ASE style multiple choice technician a,b, both correct, niether kind of stuff so it will prepare you for the tests and get you thinking like that.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Technician A is a dumbass...Technician B is a dumbass, but less of a dumbass. Which Technician is correct?

ASE in a nutshell
Old 08-22-2008, 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by delsold
Technician A is a dumbass...Technician B is a dumbass, but less of a dumbass. Which Technician is correct?

ASE in a nutshell
Tests at Wyotech were worded similarly.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:18 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MADMAN
I also learned that the guys with the ASE certs were book smart not hands on smart.
DING DING, We have a winner. I have seen guys with 5 certs get fired because when it comes down to doing work they can't perform as well as there ASE certs say they can.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by delsold

ASE in a nutshell
yep,
i'm ase recetified master tech (trucks) i got mine when work decided to pay you more based on the certs you have. they don't do it anymore after they found out you could be dumber than a bag of hammers and still pass the test.
slow *** parts changers that can't diagnose anything did not get any better with certs. but it was the same way in trade school\HS you can leave either
and not learn much.
if you study and are familar with thier test layout you will do fine.
the best cheapest study guide is

automotive technician certification
test preparation manual
by don knowles delmar thomson learning ( publishers)
amazon should have this book.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

Default test

We could always tell who the ones were who got their certification and could not even use a crescent wrench. You could tell them to hand you a metric cresent wrench and he would come back and say he could not find one. That may be the reason for the metric on 1 side and standard on the opposite now days.LOL In the morning when you pick your work forms he would be at the parts counter loading up with parts. We would say damn you must have a bunch of cars to work on. He say no it has a few miles on it so it probably needs all this stuff anyways. We would tell him when you get all of them installed and it still isn't fixed send it to us. They get 6 to 8 hrs on a ticket when it only took 30 min to fix. Or they talk way over ther head.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

AMEN, I love it when I see that, car comes in cuz the horn doesnt work and tech plugs the right rear tire to fix it....
Old 08-30-2008, 05:18 PM
11 Second Club

My ASE status-

Your Test History

Test history shows which tests you have registered for in the past. History for tests taken before 1990 is condensed.
Type Test Date Status
A1 Engine Repair 05/13/2008 Pass
A4 Suspension and Steering 05/13/2008 Pass
A5 Brakes 11/08/2007 Pass
A6 Electrical/Electronic Systems 11/13/2007 Pass

Passed them all with a large margin, and I thought they are all pretty easy. To be honest I really don't feel like they made me better at being a tech, I learn more just working on cars for a day. I am still going through school and I'll have the other 4 done this year. The only reason I'm doing them is because they do look better than having no certs. I also passed the NATEF tests and those were cake as well.

I know plenty of idiots that have passed ASE tests that have very little clue when working on a car, so they are far from a good way to judge a person.

Quick Reply: ASE Cert