Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

First Toyota FT-86 coupe dyno'd

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on the UK and Japan pricing (both convert to $40k+ in US dollars), this car is going to come in around the same price (I'm guessing around $30k) as a Mustang GT or Camaro SS, who wouldn't pick this over those?? (based on a Miata costing £17,990 there and $23,470 here, the BRZ MSRP is £24,999, so with the same gap that puts it a little over $30k) I knew this car was going to be too expensive for what it is, but holy ****, it's going to be a good 30% more than it should be (~$20K IMO).
Old 02-24-2012, 10:37 PM
10 Second Club

Question

Originally Posted by gocartone
Based on the UK and Japan pricing (both convert to $40k+ in US dollars), this car is going to come in around the same price (I'm guessing around $30k) as a Mustang GT or Camaro SS
Is it REALLY going to base at that price? Or maybe that's fully loaded?

Damn, what happened to all of the $23k - $25k projections that were being thrown around?
Old 02-24-2012, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Is it REALLY going to base at that price? Or maybe that's fully loaded?

Damn, what happened to all of the $23k - $25k projections that were being thrown around?
Well they are still open to change the price for the US as the conversion doesn't always work out the same, but I STRONGLY doubt it's going to be the same price in dollars as it is in pounds(around 1.57 dollars in a pound), and even then it would be $25k base which is high.

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/27...announced.html

Now, had this had a 300+hp turbo boxer engine under the hood like Subaru probably would have done, it would be priced all right. But no, it has a low horsepower, hard to work on, and hard to make power on 200hp, high compression, boxer engine.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Probably the most affordable light performance car on the market next the Miata and everyone hates it anyway, lol
Old 02-25-2012, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TriShield
Probably the most affordable light performance car on the market next the Miata and everyone hates it anyway, lol
I agree completely, not going to be that bad for what it is. Should be a fun little car.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:32 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TriShield
Probably the most affordable light performance car on the market next the Miata
I agree, and at the originally suspected $22k - $24k price they really would've been a hell of a bargain too.
But at a starting price of $30k (if that's actually going to be the case) then no thanks. For that kind of ca$h I'd be all over a 370Z long before these two torqueless wonders.

And at least the Miata has a convertible top for that summer fun LOL.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hashish
So it is weird to be interested in a new RWD sport-coupe offering? This car is actually a great handling contender, and will hopefully have an STi model soon to satisfy those who only care about acceleration.
Has this actually been tested, or is this just something that keeps getting repeated by everyone but has no testing to back it up?

I keep seeing people say "it'll handle great!" but I have seen no actual data.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Has this actually been tested, or is this just something that keeps getting repeated by everyone but has no testing to back it up?

I keep seeing people say "it'll handle great!" but I have seen no actual data.
Everyone says it feels great, but as far as performance numbers I haven't seen any. 1/4 mile times are going to be in the low 15s, which is stupid slow in todays world. That wouldn't be a problem had they kept the cost of the car at or under $20k, but this is way behind everything else that's priced the same.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:42 AM
TECH Regular

Is anyone really excited about this car besides few "tuner" fans and Californians? I mean every magazine I got this month is leg humping these things like they bought back the Supra. Wow, they made a 1990 240sx!! I bet a V6 Mustang rapes it on a track.
Here the facts
It's looks are generic, even by Japanese standards.
It's under powered
Anything over $20k it is over priced.
It has Subaru's noisy engine and leaking valve cover mated to a car with all the character, personality of a Toyota.
Anyone remember the XT or the SVX?
Old 02-27-2012, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 7998
Wow, they made a 1990 240sx!!
LOL agreed
Old 02-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 7998
Is anyone really excited about this car besides few "tuner" fans and Californians? I mean every magazine I got this month is leg humping these things like they bought back the Supra. Wow, they made a 1990 240sx!! I bet a V6 Mustang rapes it on a track.
Here the facts
It's looks are generic, even by Japanese standards.
It's under powered
Anything over $20k it is over priced.
It has Subaru's noisy engine and leaking valve cover mated to a car with all the character, personality of a Toyota.
Anyone remember the XT or the SVX?

I love the SVX! They were a decent GT car with a cool and different design.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Everyone says it feels great, but as far as performance numbers I haven't seen any. 1/4 mile times are going to be in the low 15s, which is stupid slow in todays world. That wouldn't be a problem had they kept the cost of the car at or under $20k, but this is way behind everything else that's priced the same.
That's not what this car is meant for though, I don't understand what is so hard to get about that. You have to think, this car is directed towards the same type of people who are enthusiasts of the Miata, S2000, etc., etc., none of those types of cars are manufactured for the 1/4 mile. They may not be very fast in a straight line when compared to Mustang's and the like, but they are engineered to create a good all around driving experience and some people prefer having that as a whole versus just banzai straight line performance.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
That's not what this car is meant for though, I don't understand what is so hard to get about that. You have to think, this car is directed towards the same type of people who are enthusiasts of the Miata, S2000, etc., etc., none of those types of cars are manufactured for the 1/4 mile. They may not be very fast in a straight line when compared to Mustang's and the like, but they are engineered to create a good all around driving experience and some people prefer having that as a whole versus just banzai straight line performance.
Yes, but not many people can deal with a sports car that runs 15s for over $25k. Having a good feel only goes so far, and that cheaper V6 Mustang is going to be very fast in the corners compared to this as well. The Miata and the S2000 both had the whole convertible thing going for them, and they were lighter (and faster in the S2000s case), and both of them were out YEARS ago. And I mean really, who would have cried foul if Toyota had put a turbo'd engine in this car with 300hp? Nobody.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hey, if it is underpowered then it will be a piece of cake to beat up on snotty kids who think they are hot stuff in their new yotas. They'll be like annoying little flies that we just smash without a second thought
Old 02-27-2012, 10:09 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

True. And that will be all fine and good if the car still ends up being sold for under $25k as some (in this very section of this board) had originally projected, some even almost swore that it was going to be priced very low.
I don't think he's talking about that, I believe he's talking about trying to sell that concept but at a certain price.
Would that same 'basic nimble sports car' concept (that I believe these two cars are shooting for) that you speak of still make total sense to you if the price was going to be $40k? $50k?
At what price does one draw the line and say "dudes, c'mon, where's the beef for that kind of MSRP?"

I suppose one could look at the (non supercharged) Lotus Elise as an example of an expensive yet quite slow, bare bones sports car offering...but even that had enough ***** to at least run in the 13s if need be. And it was also a limited production, mid engined car with some high tech materials engineered into it. Not a mass market, basic front-mid engined design.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, but not many people can deal with a sports car that runs 15s for over $25k. Having a good feel only goes so far, and that cheaper V6 Mustang is going to be very fast in the corners compared to this as well. The Miata and the S2000 both had the whole convertible thing going for them, and they were lighter (and faster in the S2000s case), and both of them were out YEARS ago. And I mean really, who would have cried foul if Toyota had put a turbo'd engine in this car with 300hp? Nobody.
You can even take a look at some of the newer sport compacts out there on the market. Take for example the VW GTi and 8th/9th gen Civic Si, those are both right in that 25k ballpark and neither of those cars run very fast 1/4 times at all, however you still have a relatively large following for each. I don't think 1/4 mile times are going to be a major priority for the people who are going to buy this car. It seems like it's directed towards those who want to have an actual "drivers car", something that's actually fun in more places than just the 1/4 mile. Not every car enthusiast out there really cares about having a lot of power. Some like a good balance of everything and that is a trait that cars like this Toyota seems like it will have, which is why I think it's pretty cool.

Also, the Mustang may be able to outperform it, but at the end of the day it's still a V6 base Mustang. I would much rather have a more expensive FT86 or GTi, even a new Civic Si over that car.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Also, the Mustang may be able to outperform it, but at the end of the day it's still a V6 base Mustang.
Oh I don't know if I'd word it that way...at the end of the day those other cars are just some basic entry level Toyotas, Subarus, Volkswagens and Hondas too.
Mustang is an American icon, a virtual legend in the car world.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Oh I don't know if I'd word it that way...at the end of the day those other cars are just some basic entry level Toyotas, Subarus, Volkswagens and Hondas too.
Mustang is an American icon, a virtual legend in the car world.
True, however, the Si, GTi, WRX, etc., those are also known by many people in the car world as being actual purpose built performance oriented trim levels of these base model foreign compact cars. The names have been around for years too and they do stand for something to some people.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

It would suit my purposes just fine. Commuting and the occasion canyon run on the way home, I work swing = empty roads

Quick Reply: First Toyota FT-86 coupe dyno'd