Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Diff install

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats would be slick if you could get the latest under the table! My break ended up being a CV joint thankfully. No diff for me!
Old 03-03-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by raven154
Thats would be slick if you could get the latest under the table! My break ended up being a CV joint thankfully. No diff for me!
Oh it would be but he's not really in the position to pull something like that! I wish. Hell, id pay him half price cash in his pocket if he could make that happen... lol

Prob get the money back selling both my 04/05 diffs anyway...
Old 03-04-2010, 01:19 AM
Staging Lane

it's out! honestly a fairly easy task. last night was setting up, dropping the exhaust and the driveshaft. so tonight i started in on the rr hub assembly.
i simply pulled the brakes off, and each 34mm axle nut (discard)
then loosen the upper ball joint nut and then pry apart the joint. i used a picklefork, but many things would prolly work.
then the trailing arm, the toe rod, and the lower shock mount. (one bolt each)
stick a floor jack under the lca so the spring doesnt slam it down and remove the bolt on the lower control arm and the hub is free. (after that bj nut is fully removed.
make sure the abs plug is unplugged but the hub is safe to hang from the e-brake cable
let the jack down and pull the hub off of the axle. then the axle needs one or two good yanks and it pops out of the diff.
next put the jack under the diff, and remove the front bolt first and each of the two rears
i took and put a prybar in between the diff and the d/s cv and popped it out.
with all three bolts out, test the waters by slowly letting down the jack. then its just a matter of getting the d/s axle all the way out, getting apart from the driveshaft enough and slipping the diff case out from its cradle and letting it down
pull it out from underneath and simply pull the d/s axleshaft towards the p/s from underneath and the d/s hub assembly can stay together.
now i wait for parts and this is prolly confusing so i might make a better detailed post with pics when its all said and done and the car actually runs again lol i dnt wanna say all this and find out i did it wrong and it fell apart on me
Old 03-04-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any pre 07 rear is flat out doomed stock or modified
Old 03-05-2010, 12:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Damn man... looks like im saving for an 07 then...
Old 03-05-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Damn man... looks like im saving for an 07 then...
its what stopped us from getting a V. I researched for weeks about the rear and had a chance to see bobs 900+rwhp V with the madman ford 9" rear but for 7500 bucks wheeeew-eee no thanks. even axles and the latest revision of the 07 diff will set you back 4k+

I just dont think a car is worth having to dump a few grand jsut to get a **** poor rear to hold up to stock power.

now with that being said I have heard of a few people discussing the newest V series rear into an older one. it does require the new gas tank and rear cradle similar to swapping a C5 vettes rear with an 06+
Old 03-05-2010, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

No diff problems for me. A broken CV joint however, thats a different story.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

What do u guys think I should do with my stock stuff? A whiney leaking diff and both full stock axles (stub to stub)? Is the diff case alum? Should I gut it and bring it to aluminum scrapyard? Is there a core company somewhere that would take it? Or the axles? There in perfect shape they're just stock n I got the real deal Hendrix now lol
Old 03-05-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TomJoeC88
What do u guys think I should do with my stock stuff? A whiney leaking diff and both full stock axles (stub to stub)? Is the diff case alum? Should I gut it and bring it to aluminum scrapyard? Is there a core company somewhere that would take it? Or the axles? There in perfect shape they're just stock n I got the real deal Hendrix now lol
Is the diff still good (just leaking) or is it junked? If ur gonna throw it away, maybe ill pay to have that stock junk shipped to keep on the side for if i ever blow mine. Unless i find a bad *** deal on an 07, i will just have to take care of my rear and baby it... lol

Good thing is its the original 04 diff in my car with 103k on it now so you know the car hasn't been beat on. lol
Old 03-05-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tainted
its what stopped us from getting a V. I researched for weeks about the rear and had a chance to see bobs 900+rwhp V with the madman ford 9" rear but for 7500 bucks wheeeew-eee no thanks. even axles and the latest revision of the 07 diff will set you back 4k+

I just dont think a car is worth having to dump a few grand jsut to get a **** poor rear to hold up to stock power.

now with that being said I have heard of a few people discussing the newest V series rear into an older one. it does require the new gas tank and rear cradle similar to swapping a C5 vettes rear with an 06+
Yeah, too pricey for my blood but def nice to have when done. Im still looking into other options.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TomJoeC88
it's out! honestly a fairly easy task. last night was setting up, dropping the exhaust and the driveshaft. so tonight i started in on the rr hub assembly.
i simply pulled the brakes off, and each 34mm axle nut (discard)
then loosen the upper ball joint nut and then pry apart the joint. i used a picklefork, but many things would prolly work.
then the trailing arm, the toe rod, and the lower shock mount. (one bolt each)
stick a floor jack under the lca so the spring doesnt slam it down and remove the bolt on the lower control arm and the hub is free. (after that bj nut is fully removed.
make sure the abs plug is unplugged but the hub is safe to hang from the e-brake cable
let the jack down and pull the hub off of the axle. then the axle needs one or two good yanks and it pops out of the diff.
next put the jack under the diff, and remove the front bolt first and each of the two rears
i took and put a prybar in between the diff and the d/s cv and popped it out.
with all three bolts out, test the waters by slowly letting down the jack. then its just a matter of getting the d/s axle all the way out, getting apart from the driveshaft enough and slipping the diff case out from its cradle and letting it down
pull it out from underneath and simply pull the d/s axleshaft towards the p/s from underneath and the d/s hub assembly can stay together.
now i wait for parts and this is prolly confusing so i might make a better detailed post with pics when its all said and done and the car actually runs again lol i dnt wanna say all this and find out i did it wrong and it fell apart on me

I am doing axles and come upon this post through a search. I am having troubles separating the hub/knuckle from the axle itself, I have the knuckle free of all connections except the cv joint splines. I have the 34mm nut removed. Am I getting this right you just pull on it while the axle is still hooked into the diff and the hub/knuckle just comes right off? Is there any special technique or trick to this other than just brute force to pull it straight off?

Quick Reply: Diff install