LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) (https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-2004-2007-gen-i-68/)
-   -   CTS-V Coilovers from LG Motorsports (https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-2004-2007-gen-i/1424889-cts-v-coilovers-lg-motorsports.html)

jerrycecco 05-19-2011 11:55 AM

CTS-V Coilovers from LG Motorsports

2 Attachment(s)
As some of you know, I’ve been researching coilovers for the V for a long time.
I was about to pull the trigger on a KW Variant 3 when I met up with Louis & Moze of GSS/LG Motorsports.

Louis agreed to make a set of coilovers for my 2004 Cadillac CTS-V. Louis designed these CTSV Coilovers both for the street AND track.
Louis started with a set of Bilstein shocks as a foundation for the NEW V1 CTS-V Coilovers.
Attached are pictures of the prototype set and we’ll putting the V on the street this week and soon going to test at MSR Cresson.

I’m very excited with the development and can’t wait to get the V on street AND track.

There’ll be definitely MORE news to come in the upcoming days

06vLo 05-19-2011 12:29 PM

Nice to see others are trying to make an alternative to the kw's. Does he have any rounded number of what these might cost?

DrSpeed 05-19-2011 12:29 PM

Those are some serious brackets at the end of that shock - what is that, 1/4"???

GhettoTy 05-19-2011 01:37 PM

I would never hesitate to use anything from LG, only best comes from there.

tweeter81 05-19-2011 01:39 PM

This is awesome news! We are really lacking in the coilover selection department.

I hope to meet Lou in about a month at the Spectre 341 Challenge, maybe he'll give me a good deal on ordering a set from his company. I wonder how much they cost?

jerrycecco 05-19-2011 03:42 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Spring rates: I’ll check again

Price: I don’t know yet, Louis/Moze will be pricing.

The shocks we used on this prototype are non adjustable
…Louis told me once car is on the ground (today) and tested he plans to then add adjustable shocks to the mix.

….update….
Test drive just happened :-)
HOLY CRAP, huge difference!!!!
the V is SO MUCH more planted, firm but not harsh at all
NO NOISE, no brake dive even though we put on NEW Hawk DTC30’s pads in the front.
I did not want to get out of the car!!!
But they needed I back to align car and then corner balance it…

rjoffe 05-19-2011 05:11 PM

Interested in more details :)

Is that a brake duct in the first picture?

jerrycecco 05-19-2011 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by rjoffe (Post 14934258)
Interested in more details :)

Is that a brake duct in the first picture?

yes, but now your jumping ahead in the story...
and no pictures YET

--Jerry

SilveradoSS500 05-19-2011 05:41 PM

Bravo!

Louis@GSS and Lou (LG) are the "Master Yoda's of GM". If there is a GM performance vehicle out there, they have done the R&D on making it BETTER and FASTER. :nod:

:usa:

liqidvenom 05-19-2011 07:19 PM

I cant wait to hear a bit more about this... I need a better suspension then what i have so far.

sciff5 05-19-2011 07:31 PM

How much? Thats what matters. Everyone already knows how awsome these probably are.

06vLo 05-19-2011 07:53 PM

another question, how is the range on these bad boys? Do they go back up to stock height, above? How low do they take the car?

jerrycecco 05-19-2011 08:27 PM

great postings guys..
these questions are being sent to Louis Gigliotti

IF I can get him away from working on his customers cars and in front of his computer, I'm sure he answer these questions...

Keep them coming.... :-)

DamnYankee 05-20-2011 11:23 AM

That is a brake duct.... heh... spy pics.... hah!

These will lower the car as low as you can go, before mechanical limitations set in- IE the A-Arm binds in the rear, and the upper a-arm binds on the chassis in the front. There is still shock travel to be had, so they will go as low as you can get them to go.

Spring rates are in the 7xx/4xx range. These are prototypes, so rates may change when we get track time on it.

Pricing will be 1990$ initially if we can get 3 sets, and 2295 after the intro.

Louis

demang 05-20-2011 11:49 AM

Are those pictures after the corner balance?

jerrycecco 05-20-2011 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by demang (Post 14937297)
Are those pictures after the corner balance?

before corner balance...

--Jerry

tweeter81 05-20-2011 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Moze (Post 14937191)
That is a brake duct.... heh... spy pics.... hah!

These will lower the car as low as you can go, before mechanical limitations set in- IE the A-Arm binds in the rear, and the upper a-arm binds on the chassis in the front. There is still shock travel to be had, so they will go as low as you can get them to go.

Spring rates are in the 7xx/4xx range. These are prototypes, so rates may change when we get track time on it.

Pricing will be 1990$ initially if we can get 3 sets, and 2295 after the intro.

Louis

I'll be keeping a very close eye on this kit. I have a leaking front FG2 and GM only sells full sets of 4 for $1600, so for a few hundred more I could have this sweet kit...very cool.

One thing I would want though would be spring rate options. Currently I run 750 lb/in front and 784 lb/in rear (it's a metric spring rate) and the reason I do that is so I can run much wider tires and not get rubbing because the super-stiff springs keep the car body from moving or squatting. When I had 650 lb/in springs in the rear, I would get some rubbing on the track, so I feel like I found the sweet spot for spring stiffness with the 784-800 lb springs based on the minimal rubbing and the weight of the car (and the great handling of course).

I know with a true coilover conversion in the rear, the new spring rates would need to be much less (due to the changed suspension geometry) to get the same desired stiffness, but I would want at least as stiff a ride as I have now. Would something like this be possible with this kit? Or maybe, you could offer a street spring kit and a stiff track spring kit?

liqidvenom 05-20-2011 01:39 PM

that is a very good price for what looks like a killer set of FULL front and rear coils overs.

jerrycecco 05-20-2011 02:01 PM

Should anyone want a test drive, please contact me directly. I live in the Dallas area.
LG Motorsports is located in Wylie.

I know Louis is planning a day at the track @ MSR within a month or so...
.....that will be VERY interesting.....

--Jerry

Louis 05-20-2011 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by tweeter81 (Post 14937703)
I'll be keeping a very close eye on this kit. I have a leaking front FG2 and GM only sells full sets of 4 for $1600, so for a few hundred more I could have this sweet kit...very cool.

One thing I would want though would be spring rate options. Currently I run 750 lb/in front and 784 lb/in rear (it's a metric spring rate) and the reason I do that is so I can run much wider tires and not get rubbing because the super-stiff springs keep the car body from moving or squatting. When I had 650 lb/in springs in the rear, I would get some rubbing on the track, so I feel like I found the sweet spot for spring stiffness with the 784-800 lb springs based on the minimal rubbing and the weight of the car (and the great handling of course).

I know with a true coilover conversion in the rear, the new spring rates would need to be much less (due to the changed suspension geometry) to get the same desired stiffness, but I would want at least as stiff a ride as I have now. Would something like this be possible with this kit? Or maybe, you could offer a street spring kit and a stiff track spring kit?

We can run 50lb springs to 2000 lb springs, so yes, custom rates are not a problem. Cost wont change, but the order will be custom and lead time will change.

Louis