Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

My 2005 V vs. My friend's BMW 335d

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CancerJCC
Chip...Chipped...

What?
Old 10-29-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GhettoTy
What?
You FLASH a tune onto the PCM. Similar to how you flash new firmware onto a phone. There is no such thing as a "chip" anymore. Its just a pet peeve of mine when people refer to a PCM being flashed as a "chip".
Old 10-30-2011, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You FLASH a tune onto the PCM. Similar to how you flash new firmware onto a phone. There is no such thing as a "chip" anymore. Its just a pet peeve of mine when people refer to a PCM being flashed as a "chip".
some cars until recently were still being "chipped"
Old 10-31-2011, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_JBD_...ance_chip.html

Ok so they call it a tuner but it's pretty much a chip. Plugs in to the injector rail and can be removed without a trace for warranty work. If the PCM is flashed then the dealer will know it and probably void your warranty.

EDIT: I just noticed that the hyperlink itself even calls it a chip.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SimplistikTA

Ok so they call it a tuner but it's pretty much a chip. Plugs in to the injector rail and can be removed without a trace for warranty work. If the PCM is flashed then the dealer will know it and probably void your warranty.

Thanks JCC but I know the difference between a chip and a tune, my car is tuned and the BMW's use an actual chip you just plug in. My Typhoons and Syclone also use chips.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GhettoTy
Thanks JCC but I know the difference between a chip and a tune, my car is tuned and the BMW's use an actual chip you just plug in. My Typhoons and Syclone also use chips.
*Bows out gracefully*

Sorry guys, Not familiar with BMW and that they indeed use an actual "chip". I'm just used to hearing the two used interchangeably with LSx vehicles and its annoying.

"Hey dood you should get yer self a chip in that thing". "My buddys Si has one from ebay and it increases his powah 100%"
Old 11-05-2011, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

*Bows out gracefully*

Sorry guys, Not familiar with BMW and that they indeed use an actual "chip". I'm just used to hearing the two used interchangeably with LSx vehicles and its annoying.

"Hey dood you should get yer self a chip in that thing". "My buddys Si has one from ebay and it increases his powah 100%"
It's a common misconception. Tons of people tell me they want to put a "chip" in their vehicles and then look at me crazy when I ask them why they don't get dyno tuned or get a programmer to reflash the ECU for better results.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's a common misconception. Tons of people tell me they want to put a "chip" in their vehicles and then look at me crazy when I ask them why they don't get dyno tuned or get a programmer to reflash the ECU for better results.
Troof. BTW I'm at Benning right now working at the CRC. Where does the Army have you working ATM?
Old 12-05-2011, 10:58 AM
12 Second Club

Bumping this thread again.
Got to run this same 335i this morning. It was a win for me even though my clutch is slipping at high speed shifts. Not sure the mph we started at, but I went with an agressive 3 to 2 downshift (25 mph?) and ran the car to at least 100. I put probably four cars on him slipping 2-3 and 3-4
What is funny is that I am sitting at work crusing the local craigslist and see his car up for sale. So here is the rundown. Let me know if you think this is a good win for me or not.

07 BMW 335i twin turbo. Manual shift. Sport package. Dinan exhaust and intake.
No mention of a tune though
Old 12-05-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those 6 speed 335's are nasty. I drove one with at least some exhaust work (it was on a used lot) and it straight HAULED ***.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:21 AM
12 Second Club

Don't feel like starting a new thread for a kill.
Just ran a 06 300 SRT8. Guy had CAI, Magnflow and cutouts. Didn't really pay attention to my start and stop speeds, but it was a highway run. I think I downshifted to 2nd for the start and got out of it somewhere in early 4th. I had a little over a car length on him. I was suprised because I thought there was a real chance I would lose.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Troof. BTW I'm at Benning right now working at the CRC. Where does the Army have you working ATM?
I'm stationed at Ft. Bliss in a HET unit and hate it. El Paso has ruined my paint. Anywho since we are talking kill stories I ran a E55 AMG(2003-2006 model) this morning from 75-about 115 and got killed. I only dropped it into 4th so I was trying to accelerate from low in the rev range. I pulled a half a car, then he cruised by me and put about two cars on me before I started to reel him in. We let off because we were approaching a overpass that is notorious for cops sitting on the other side. I looked up the stats and it looks like he was stock. 5.4 supercharged with 469 and 510 at the crank. Curb weight of around 4050. I want a V2!
Old 12-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Launching!

Cute little BMW - 6 years newer, two turbo's richer, and it can almost hang. Wonder what the MPG's at full throttle are in comparison? Then factor MPG versus Deisel fuel cost... Cute indeed.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greddy91
Cute little BMW - 6 years newer, two turbo's richer, and it can almost hang. Wonder what the MPG's at full throttle are in comparison? Then factor MPG versus Deisel fuel cost... Cute indeed.
yeah because buying these sort of vehicles is done for just wot pulls....

lets not forget the massive mpg difference, better build quality in parts and interior. Those dont matter when buying a performance sedan/coupe
Old 12-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

I am a big BMW fanatic. The engineering that goes into them is incredible. I have had and still have a couple of BMWs. Right around this time last year I purchased a 2011 X5M as a daily driver and right off the showroom floor, every aspect of this cars performance has left me speechless, especially for an SUV. BMW really stepped their game up with the new turbocharged engines and I think they have set a standard for other vehicle manufacturers to reach. I'm very excited to do a down-pipe and tune on it along with an exhaust when I feel more comfortable with whats available on the market.

However, BMW offers a completely different style and ride. Thats when I decided it was time to get some muscle in my garage which led me to the purchase of my now monster V.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

My only personal experience with cars from the BMW group is a 2007 Mini Cooper S that my wife bought while I was deployed and we owned for five months and 5000 miles. The car was an absolute blast to drive, but the clutch going completely out at 37k and not being covered under warranty due to time led to the purchace of a 2012 Chevy Cruze. Not nearly as fun of a car to drive(we did still get a manual transmission to at least have some kind of engaging driving experience), but very impressive in terms of comfort and build quality, especially compared to domestic compact cars from previous years. As a bonus, I'm pretty sure the trunk is bigger in the Cruze vs. the V lol. I agree with everyone's opinion on BMW engineering(with the exception of Mini), but if the car is that damn good, one would think they would stand by their product and offer a better warranty. It's pretty bad when a Hyundai has double the warranty of a BMW in terms of time and mileage.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

As an update my friend with the 335d has since done a muffler delete which dropped like 80 lbs from the car and plans to do a DPF(urea injection for emissions) delete, add a downpipe, intercooler, and upgraded pluming, along with having the ECU reflashed. He's basically kissing his warranty goodbye along with his transmission. Estimated power and torque are about 350ish and like 550 at the wheels when said mods are complete. I must admit it will be pretty funny watching a pretty white Beemer belch a ton of black diesel smoke whenever he gets on it. Why he's doing all of this I do not understand, but this is the same guy who in the span of one year has gone from a 2009 G8 GXP(which he modded) to a 2011 GMC Sierra Z71(which was lifted with big wheels and tires from the dealer and fruther modded by him) to his BMW.

Quick Reply: My 2005 V vs. My friend's BMW 335d