Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Revshift diff bushing = clunk?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Revshift diff bushing = clunk?

I put the Revshift 95A diff bushing in on Thursday of last week, and this cursed chunk is still there...It's just a more solid thunk now. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Also, is the pinion seal reliable on these diffs? Mine is weeping just enough to get under my skin. Anyone have a part number?

Last edited by GA95DCMSS; 12-27-2012 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Because Fuzzy said so
Old 12-24-2012, 08:34 PM
Launching!

If you are talking about the parade clunk and still have the stock clutch then that could definitely be the reason for the clunk.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:35 AM
Launching!

The "clunk" is occurring somewhere else in your drivetrain and the stiffness of the new mount is amplifying its presence..
Old 12-25-2012, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do your motor mounts look? Replaced mine and my loud clunk went away
Old 12-25-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would have thought they'd be less likely to clink than the stock or CS design due to lack of a metal sleeve to expand or shrink with temperature.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Revshift offers 80A and 95A bushings. They don't sell a 90A bushing.

The Creative Steel bushing (rated at 87A) reduced clunk on my CTS-V by about 2/3, but has since degraded to about 1/3, which may be due to their material generally sucking. I'm still a couple of weeks out from installing all of the Revshift bushings (including a 95A differential bushing)...will have a more definitive answer then. Pictures...probably. Depends on what I have to do to get the old bushing out. When I put it in, I had the advantage of using their bushing installation and removal tool.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Revshift offers 80A and 95A bushings. They don't sell a 90A bushing.

The Creative Steel bushing (rated at 87A) reduced clunk on my CTS-V by about 2/3, but has since degraded to about 1/3, which may be due to their material generally sucking. I'm still a couple of weeks out from installing all of the Revshift bushings (including a 95A differential bushing)...will have a more definitive answer then. Pictures...probably. Depends on what I have to do to get the old bushing out. When I put it in, I had the advantage of using their bushing installation and removal tool.
You know what I meant Fuzzy, 95A. This clunk definitely seems worse than it was before and isolated to the rear end. More specifically its when taking off in 1st i can feel it, or if I'm cruising along and let off the gas to coast, then reapply I can repeat it anytime. I guess I'll be replacing the clutch and flywheel in the somewhat near future anyway, so hopefully that gets rid of it. Btw, the motor mounts are UMIs. I haven't gotten a chance to do the cradle bushings yet, but I'll definitely be checking to make sure things are tight on the diff before I dive into the trailing arm bushings today.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GA95DCMSS
You know what I meant Fuzzy, 95A. This clunk definitely seems worse than it was before and isolated to the rear end. More specifically its when taking off in 1st i can feel it, or if I'm cruising along and let off the gas to coast, then reapply I can repeat it anytime. I guess I'll be replacing the clutch and flywheel in the somewhat near future anyway, so hopefully that gets rid of it. Btw, the motor mounts are UMIs. I haven't gotten a chance to do the cradle bushings yet, but I'll definitely be checking to make sure things are tight on the diff before I dive into the trailing arm bushings today.
I wonder if you forgot to tighten something up when you were putting things back together. You should've noticed a marked decrease in clunk. Maybe give it the Mark 0 eyeball when you're under there next.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 12-27-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
I wonder if you forgot to tighten something up when you were putting things back together. You should've noticed a marked decrease in clunk. Maybe give it the Mark 0 eyeball when you're under there next.
That's what I'm thinking. Maybe didn't tighten down the diff bolts enough. I'll have it on the lift at the shop today to take a look right after I get the old Mark 0 recalibrated.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Found the problem. The front diff bolt had worked itself loose. Why it did, idk. I'm assuming I didn't tighten it as much as I thought I did.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

And the clunk?
Old 12-27-2012, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Chunk is gone. Did the trailing ARM bushing today too. Took me longer to get everything disassembled than it did to actually replace the bashing.

Quick Reply: Revshift diff bushing = clunk?