Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

New rear cv-joint from oem prop shaft available

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Damn, that's some pro **** on some hard to come by equipment. Props to your diligence!! Anxious to hear results...
Old 11-19-2017, 12:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks man, appreciate this, was a big nightmare, costs a lot of hours and nervs to get to this result here...

Now final results are reduced runout on middle bearing from 4mm to 1mm, thats a result, which i can live with...

Now hope the balance shop did also a good job and we all are happy in the end!

Greetz
Ron
Old 12-05-2017, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

Now, since over one week test driving my car under winter conditions, it seems my vibes are completely gone but earned some noises, which also exists before, but one is new and didnīt changed after the poly swap, so the next construction area begins...

Got the runout down to 0.3mm with installed middle bearing, pls see video below:

Now i would suggest everyone, with noise or vibs to look on their car about the runout of propshaft on middle bearing, there might be the culprit, iīm very interressted on, who has similar issues and what numbers, the dial gauge would tell u...

Good luck everybody, iīm now one culprit less, that was jumping on my ***** since over 2 yrs now...

Greetz
Ron
Old 12-05-2017, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

NICE work...and a lot of it! What's next?
Old 12-05-2017, 03:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jmilz28
NICE work...and a lot of it! What's next?
Thanks man, next construction area is stiffen the rear end by stronger axles with Porsche cv-joints and a diff case support with 2.hanger welded to the subframe made of sheet metal...

Greetz
Ron
Old 12-13-2017, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love watching your threads, all of it is just brilliant.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Tuckin15s
I love watching your threads, all of it is just brilliant.
Oh thanks thanks thanks man, i get blushed, never heard something like that before...

Yesterday i checked the diameter and parts of the outer cv-joints between oem and the Porsche 930, looks like all the same, also there would be no gain, that's what CS is telling on their web site, if u swap to the stronger rear axles from DSS on the 8.8 kit, that u can leave the outer joints and only get the inner one plus the axle bars, its rated to 600hp

Next time more pics, i hate this damnin graphite grease everywhere, so difficult to get rid of, if it comes to your fingers...

Greetz
Ron

Last edited by Choppy_Idle; 12-14-2017 at 01:01 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

DSS 930 CV joint

Replacement 930 CV joint from DSS

The CV joints from DSS are a 108mm 930 style CV joint, but the inner section of the CV joint is machined by DSS to work with their axles (larger axles need a larger opening than the standard porsche axle). I ended up having a tear in one of my boots and lack of grease took out the inner piece as you can see i the first photo. I knew the CV was the issue, just drove on it for another month or two until I could fix it.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:59 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for sharing the pics here, what did you payed, only one side or both?

You have the complete upgrade axles of them or part of the 8.8 kit rear axles?

And you think this issue comes only by loosing grease???

Greetz
Ron
Old 04-10-2018, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

bump.

Has anyone used this bearing yet? I am thinking about buying one very soon.

When I did my Voodoo bearing, the cap on my rear CV was loose and let the grease out. I had horrible vibrations before that but I packed the CV with some molly grease and threw it back in the car. I now have less than moderated vibration only while on the throttle driving normally. Quite certain this is my problem due to the changes from me messing with it but I wanted to make sure this part fit for sure before I ordered it.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently had a customer who use one of these joints with success.. youll reuse your rear inspection cap on the BMW joint. Also if that cap is getting loose, bend the edges of it out a bit. It will seat tighter.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

For God's sake, don't separate the ***** and cage or get them out of perfect original order!

Now back to your regularly scheduled program: This looks like a nice piece...
Old 04-11-2018, 01:37 AM
TECH Regular

Multiple ppl's used them on fb now, heard nothing negative about that, but the cost of a OEM BMW, which is GKN brand, also the manufacturer of the whole shaft, can be little bit pricey, around $100+...

Greets
Ron
Old 04-12-2018, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I was going to purchase the Febest version that AAIIIC posted. I'm broke and if it gets me by for just a little bit, I'm cool with it. Only put 3k miles on the car a year at best.

Currently saving pennies to nab some cradle bushings.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The febest unit is what I have sitting here. It feels heavy in the hand, no difference than the oem joint really. I would surely think it would hold up for a good while at least.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have used FEBEST Upper Control Arms on a previous vehicle of mine with great success. I purchased one of these CV joints, just to have.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Choppy_Idle
Hello fellas!

Some good news here, by chance we found a matching rear cv-joint of a BMW 7er Series...

Long story short, had again vibes somewhere in the rear at higher speed, did a lot of stuff new and harder bushings at my SRX diff swap in spring this year and hoped it comes from the prop shaft, bec we didnīt balanced him new after the middle bearing swap...

So again i went to my balancing shop i trust in expectation to find the culprit and get rid of by new balancing... so the theory...

They checked the rear cv-joint and found a little play only in the installed position from the car, so balancing with a damaged joint is worthless and we talked about alternatives and i know the measurements and count of the spline, so they went to their warehouse and comes back with a matching BMW cv-Joint... booom...

Here it is:

Manufacturer is also GKN Germany, like the whole shaft, but only sold by BMW dealers themselves they told me there and i paid 200 for it...

Hope this helps the community a little bit to keep their shaft long time running and not to look at expensive one piece shafts...

Greetz
Ron
I just broke the rear diff on my gen1 2004, Not sure what to do. I think the 04-05 base CTS will work running 3.42s. Does the SRX work also? I see a lot of them out there, and i think thats what you have mentioned here.

Quick Reply: New rear cv-joint from oem prop shaft available