Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Jacking points

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Jacking points

Pathetic question, but where are good places to jack and support the V1? I want to do a diff bushing replacement, but everything looks so fragile...Im used to my truck where pretty much everything is a jacking point.

Place for floor jack and then jack stands would be appreciated.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:29 PM
TECH Veteran

There are arrows on the side skirts that show where to jack it up but most people dont kneel down and look before lifting the car up and they crush that lip that runs along the length of the car. I like to go just inside the lip with the jack. There is a place in the front and rear where u can see its a solid section of the floorboard. I slide the jack under, lift it until its almost touching, pull it back right up against that ridge and go up from there. No problems with doing it this way and no damage.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Can you jack there with a standard floor jack and can you support there with jack stands? I looked by those arrows before and it looked like sheet metal that would crush under the weight. I ended up jacking on the fram when I did brakes, but that wasnt the easiest either.

What in the crap is this car being jacked up by in the second image (by the diff)? Are the stands just next to the arrows you spoke of?

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...all/index.html
Old 08-01-2012, 07:36 PM
TECH Veteran

You can jack there just fine. Mine has small marks from using the jack there but it hasnt caved in at all. Its actually a pretty strong location compared to the rest i've found. As far as jack stands, i go under the frame rails with those.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jack picks are where it's at:

www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/jackpuck.html

I made my own with hockey pucks and eye bolts:

Old 08-01-2012, 08:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Or just buy a crane with a 30k lb magnet and pick it up from the roof...
Old 08-01-2012, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

I don't want to scratch the paint though...
Old 08-01-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I usually just stick a bottle jack right under the oil pan and have at it.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Or just buy a crane with a 30k lb magnet and pick it up from the roof...
Hahaha, this is brilliant!

I bought jack pucks and never used them, waste of money IMO. Just follow the arrows like Neversatisfied recommended, personally I always jack on the rail by the oil pan in the front and near diff in the back for time savings to get all 4 sides up quick, never had an issue. I always place my jack stands on the frame rails running on each side.

The biotch is I have to drive up on blocks to fit the jack under the car, it's too damn low!
Old 08-02-2012, 02:27 AM
On The Tree

Use a short (12 inch) piece of 2X4 between your jack stands and the underbody at the arrow mark to prevent damage.
To jack it up, first place a 2X4 in front of the front wheels, drive onto them so you have clearance. Roll floor jack under front crossmember (i remove the round jacking disc on my floor jack and use a 16 inch 2x4 in its place) now jack it up, place your front jack stands (with 2x4s) then place your floor jack under rear diff, jack it up and place rear stands (again with 2x4s) at rear arrow marks up against inside of lip.
Do it 20 times and it gets easy.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by furbe
Use a short (12 inch) piece of 2X4 between your jack stands and the underbody at the arrow mark to prevent damage.
To jack it up, first place a 2X4 in front of the front wheels, drive onto them so you have clearance. Roll floor jack under front crossmember (i remove the round jacking disc on my floor jack and use a 16 inch 2x4 in its place) now jack it up, place your front jack stands (with 2x4s) then place your floor jack under rear diff, jack it up and place rear stands (again with 2x4s) at rear arrow marks up against inside of lip.
Do it 20 times and it gets easy.
This is genius! thanks for the tip!
Old 08-02-2012, 06:44 AM
Launching!

I put my lift pads right where the arrows are and have had no problems. Have had the car on the lift more than a week and no signs of damage to the metal.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:26 AM
On The Tree

So it's ok to jack on the rear diff?
Old 08-02-2012, 07:37 AM
Launching!

Jack it up by the jacking points, then put the jack stands on the part f the frame near the rear wheel, you can't miss is. It's a curved, thick piece of frame. If you look from the rear of the car it looks hollow. There is one by each rear wheel.

One the front, jack it up by the subframe, putting the jace in the middle. Then put the jacks stands on each side of the jack on the sub frame.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always jack mine off
The following users liked this post:
KILL*SHOT (07-31-2021)
Old 08-02-2012, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would not use a floor jack on the rocker points. They are made for a square-head with a notch to go up in there. A floor jack risks the metal seam folding over, which will make you pretty upset.

Up front I jack the car from the side behind the front wheel, on the frame piece about 1.5 feet inboard. I put a 2x4 between the jack head and the frame, just so it doesn't dent from the jack. There's a stamped hole in the frame, which is right around where I put the jack. If I am supporting it, I'll put the jack more towards the center, and put the jackstand right where that stamped hole is instead.

On the rear, I use either of the two frame rails on either side of the diff. I put the jackstands in front of the rear wheel on the trailing arm, there is a flat spot on it that looks like it was just made for a jackstand. But you could also jack the diff itself and put the jackstands on the two frame rails. I think I'd use some wood or a hockey puck or something between the jack and diff if doing it that way, since it's aluminum.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

The factory service manual actually shows the lift pionts as the flat area at the arrow, inboard and up against the lip. Awalys use a 2x4 in this area or you will damage the underbody. You can support it inboard on the cradle but I found this to not be as stable and often times you need to lower the cradle so this would not work.
In my case, i found I was having to put the car on stands several times a week so I made 4X4X24 inch "ramps" with one end angle cut and marked my garage floor for their location so I could quickly lay them out and get the floor jack under the front crossmember.
Just my 2 cents...
Old 08-02-2012, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a old piece of 4x4 post that was from my deck. Works great for jacking on or off
Old 08-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lollygagger8
I use a old piece of 4x4 post that was from my deck. Works great for jacking on or off
I do that but I have ramps to that with a 2x6 gets the car high enough to drive on, makes a huge difference! and can back on to them without an issue, back is high enough obviously. lol
Old 08-02-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought an AC Hydraulics jack last year.
With this jack I don't have to drive up on ramps or 2x4's, slides right under the front.
Its minimum height is 3.15 inches.
I jack the front from the crossmember.
http://www.ac-hydraulic.dk/en/produc...ks/dk20-dk20q/

I want to get something like this to lift from the back.
http://www.ac-hydraulic.dk/en/products/t3/

Quick Reply: Jacking points