Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

Learning to weld in Calgary?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Learning to weld in Calgary?

So, my '70 Impala has a blown LQ9 (that was the fun part!), now it needs quarter panels... So I need to learn to weld...
Anybody can recommend a place in Calgary to learn "autobody welding for the hobbyist"?
Thanks!
Old 05-15-2011, 01:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SAIT offers a few different welding courses for beginners:
http://sait.ca/pages/cometosait/cont...ggeneral.shtml
Old 05-31-2011, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Go to Canadian Tire and buy a Lincoln Electric MIG PAK and a **** load of scrap metal and go to town! practice building little things. They can be used as a flux core or a MIG. I use mine just as a Flux core and with some practice your welds can be awesome. Thats what i did.. works great for me!
Old 06-04-2011, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mereniuk
Go to Canadian Tire and buy a Lincoln Electric MIG PAK and a **** load of scrap metal and go to town! practice building little things. They can be used as a flux core or a MIG. I use mine just as a Flux core and with some practice your welds can be awesome. Thats what i did.. works great for me!
x 2 on this one. I taught myself as well with a little Lincoln MIG about half a year ago, it works great for sheet metal! I'm currently restoring a '72 Nova and have put in a new floor/trunk pan and next is the rear quarters. Trial and error works great for welding, at least it did for me. The nice thing about working with metal is that no matter how badly you screw it up, it can always be fixed!
Oh and there's a TON of YouTube videos that have really good tips/pointers on welding for beginners.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Learning to weld in Calgary?