Canadian Members We never leave because we have The Beer Store

Toronto

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Toronto

Hey guys, I'm going to be up in Toronto around May checking out some schools. Obviously I am going to the Hockey Hall of Fame, but is there anything in particular that I should try to see/do? I've been told the night life is pretty crazy. Anything would be cool!

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2012, 04:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RikkiTorment
Hey guys, I'm going to be up in Toronto around May checking out some schools. Obviously I am going to the Hockey Hall of Fame, but is there anything in particular that I should try to see/do? I've been told the night life is pretty crazy. Anything would be cool!

Thanks!
you're coming from the States to go to school here? are you high lol? what could we possibly offer programs wise that you guys don't have?

Hockey hall of fame is a must...Steamwhistle brewery tour is good to.

Bring a ton of cash...no 18$ 30 racks over here...a 24 of decent beer is gunna run you atleast $40...

what school/program you looking at?
Old 03-04-2012, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going for Sports Journalism to specialize in hockey. So far I have Ryerson University, Centennial College and Seneca College. I don't drink our typical Bud or Miller sludge, so I'm used to forking over $40 a case for beer lol
Old 03-04-2012, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Humber and York are very highly rec'd Universitys out this way. Im out in the East end and at Durham College in trades and im very happy with the school, material, and teachers.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll add them to the list. We could grab a beer or something too if you guys are willing.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:30 PM
TECH Regular

I'll bite my tongue about what I think of Ryerson (I promised myself I'd stop saying negative things) since I went there for a few years before going over to Humber for their Sports Management Program (which is sweeeeeet and I'm still in it cause it's a 3 year program)

On the upside to Ryerson they have the worst hockey team in the history of CIS, so if you want to play some university hockey it probably won't be very hard.

We're still hoping Humber is getting a team as of next year...Humber is insane with our varsity sports teams...5 of our teams rank I think top 5 Nationally.

Durham has a sweet sports management program as well from what I hear...York is a pretty good university.

I don't know if we offer a sport journalism specific program though.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LETZRIDE
I'll bite my tongue about what I think of Ryerson (I promised myself I'd stop saying negative things) since I went there for a few years before going over to Humber for their Sports Management Program (which is sweeeeeet and I'm still in it cause it's a 3 year program)

On the upside to Ryerson they have the worst hockey team in the history of CIS, so if you want to play some university hockey it probably won't be very hard.

We're still hoping Humber is getting a team as of next year...Humber is insane with our varsity sports teams...5 of our teams rank I think top 5 Nationally.

Durham has a sweet sports management program as well from what I hear...York is a pretty good university.

I don't know if we offer a sport journalism specific program though.
I have only stepped out on the ice maybe twice in the past 10 years haha, but I used to be hardcore into roller hockey because it was cheaper.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:41 PM
TECH Regular

If I were in your shoes, I would definitely go to Ryerson. My brother went there, and is doing very well.

Keep in mind that College and University are not on a level playing field here like they are in the States...
Old 03-04-2012, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 94LT1TA6spd

Keep in mind that College and University are not on a level playing field here like they are in the States...
I disagree with that statement, that depends on the program. My program at Humber is wayyy more intense than what my Ryerson Program could dream to be. The workload I have right now is actually beyond ridiculous. Ryerson I had midterms and a final exam with the odd assignment for the most part.

Humber I have multiple assignments per course with the midterm and finals on top of that...most of my assignments haven't been less than about 20-24 pages...with the longest being about 35-36. The assignments have all been useful as well...like I've actually applied most of the stuff I've done to the different jobs I've had in this field already...which wasn't exactly the case with what I got out of Ryerson.

to each his own, but fwiw I accidently took a risk management course at Humber not realizing it was more or less the exact same as my Hazard recognition course I took at Ryerson...needless to say I learned tons more through the course at Humber than I did in that exact course in Ryerson...I could've got a transfer course for it but I chose to stick it out because what I learned will be a heck of a lot more useful to me down the road in this profession.

Oddly enough I got an 88% in hazard recognition at ryerson...but somehow only a 66% in Humber...thats how much more intense the course was...about 4x the info, and you actually applied it, didnt just sit and listen about it.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's much cheaper to go to school up here! I don't blame you for wanting to come up here.

I'm in Ottawa (4 hours North-East of Toronto). Carleton University has an awesome journalism program. I'm at the University of Ottawa myself. Let me know if you're up in Ottawa - I'm pretty well connected so I can get you into pretty much any club on VIP.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm also half wondering if I should apply for dual citizenship or not while I attend class. Not sure if it will be cheaper for me to try for that.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RikkiTorment
I'm also half wondering if I should apply for dual citizenship or not while I attend class. Not sure if it will be cheaper for me to try for that.
uhh...I dont know that it is that easy to just get citizenship like that...
Old 03-05-2012, 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It would take a little while, but I don't see how it could possibly be that hard.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Become a permanent resident, that is fairly easy. Getting citizenship is going to be MUCH MUCH harder.

Also +1 to Durham College sports management program. I have a few buddies that have taken that and all of them are doing jobs in their field.

But you'll also want to check out York U for journalism.

One of my friends is at Seneca now, and is going to transfer into Ryerson for journalism. You get straight into 3rd year uni out of college, worth looking at that.

I'm at centennial college right now and I'm kinda annoyed at them, but completely different dept.

What are you into nightlife wise?
Old 03-05-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Meemperor
Become a permanent resident, that is fairly easy. Getting citizenship is going to be MUCH MUCH harder.

Also +1 to Durham College sports management program. I have a few buddies that have taken that and all of them are doing jobs in their field.

One of my friends is at Seneca now, and is going to transfer into Ryerson for journalism. You get straight into 3rd year uni out of college, worth looking at that.

I'm at centennial college right now and I'm kinda annoyed at them, but completely different dept.

I'm a pretty big bar-hopper with my friends, the only thing is that I will be starting over lol
Old 03-05-2012, 02:00 PM
TECH Regular

The fuzz...you didn't tell me you know guys in SM??

I almost went to the Durham one, but I liked the extra 3rd year humber offered which gives us 3 semesters of internships. I did some work last summer with the nhlpa along side a guy that just graduated from durham for the same program and was now with the PA fulltime.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LETZRIDE
The fuzz...you didn't tell me you know guys in SM??

I almost went to the Durham one, but I liked the extra 3rd year humber offered which gives us 3 semesters of internships. I did some work last summer with the nhlpa along side a guy that just graduated from durham for the same program and was now with the PA fulltime.
Well you never asked lol. They're all done now though.

I'm a pretty big bar-hopper with my friends, the only thing is that I will be starting over lol
What kind of bar though lol... Pub, Lounge, Dance club, rock club....gay lolol

All kinds of fun stuff in city.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well you never asked lol. They're all done now though.

What kind of bar though lol... Pub, Lounge, Dance club, rock club....gay lolol

All kinds of fun stuff in city.
I guess pubs, lounges and rock clubs. I come from a "party hard" town, so I hope Toronto lives up to what I have heard lol
Old 03-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Pubs are everywhere in Toronto,

You'll wanna hit The Phoneix, Tattoo Rock Parlor, The Bovine and then get some great food at sneaky dee's after hours. Although they're not close to each other lol.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:36 AM
TECH Regular

+1 for tattoo