Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

anyone using a netbook with msd 6010 software?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default anyone using a netbook with msd 6010 software?

Just bought a netbook for my bday and thought this would be a great way to change timing curves around town with its long battery life. Unfortunately when plugging in the same USB to serial port cable that works on my ancient laptop to the netbook and trying to connect to the msd software it says "no com port" It's a brand new HP netbook, anyone else using one???
Old 07-31-2011, 09:57 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by xpndbl3
Just bought a netbook for my bday and thought this would be a great way to change timing curves around town with its long battery life. Unfortunately when plugging in the same USB to serial port cable that works on my ancient laptop to the netbook and trying to connect to the msd software it says "no com port" It's a brand new HP netbook, anyone else using one???
You need a geeky neighborhood kid who knows how to assign a com port for you.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol yes that would be great, do you happen to know how to do that? The netbook has 3 different USB ports, I tried all of them, not sure how to turn it into a "com" port though. Figures I run a carb because I know it and now technology is STILL stopping me
Old 07-31-2011, 10:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had that same problem when connecting to my laptop some time ago. Can't remember what it took to set it up.

I thought you can select different com port numbers right through the MSD software. I think I remember just trying different numbers until one worked.

I do know it doens't matter which USB port you plug into, they are all the same.

does the MSD software run on the net book? I was just wondering that this morning believe it or not.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:07 AM
Old School Heavy

lol yes that would be great, do you happen to know how to do that? The netbook has 3 different USB ports, I tried all of them, not sure how to turn it into a "com" port though. Figures I run a carb because I know it and now technology is STILL stopping me
There is some settings in the software to assign com ports. I did it years ago on an XP machine to hook up my DiabloSport for my Cobra to the laptop. I don't remember the details though. I would think as smart as Windows 7 is, that it would recognize and do it all for you. My HP did. I know on my HP the software showed the default as Com 3, but I actually had to select Com 4.

I will point out that once it is all hooked up and the ignition was on, I had to close the MSD software and re-open it before it would recognize the connection. It was at that point that I had to change to the Com 4.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood

does the MSD software run on the net book? I was just wondering that this morning believe it or not.
yes it sure does, although right now I haven't figured out the data connection issue yet.

Originally Posted by speedtigger
There is some settings in the software to assign com ports. I did it years ago on an XP machine to hook up my DiabloSport for my Cobra to the laptop. I don't remember the details though. I would think as smart as Windows 7 is, that it would recognize and do it all for you. My HP did. I know on my HP the software showed the default as Com 3, but I actually had to select Com 4.

I will point out that once it is all hooked up and the ignition was on, I had to close the MSD software and re-open it before it would recognize the connection. It was at that point that I had to change to the Com 4.
Even if I click the "refresh com ports" on the MSD software it still just says error and no com port available.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Old School Heavy

Even if I click the "refresh com ports" on the MSD software it still just says error and no com port available.
Mine did too until I closed the software and restarted the program. Then it recognized the ports. Also, if that doesn't work, try hooking everything up, turn on the ignition to the car and leave it on, then reboot the computer, then open the program. If it still doesn't recognize the coms, I think it is time for Google research or find a geek.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Found a geek at radio shack. Apparently my old adapter cord didn't have the proper driver for windows 7, so I bought a new USB to serial cable and boom....now it shows up as a com port, didn't hook it up to the car yet but I'll be checking it out tonight. Great success lol!
Old 07-31-2011, 06:54 PM
Old School Heavy

Found a geek at radio shack. Apparently my old adapter cord didn't have the proper driver for windows 7, so I bought a new USB to serial cable and boom....now it shows up as a com port, didn't hook it up to the car yet but I'll be checking it out tonight. Great success lol!
Good deal.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:04 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

my laptop doesnt recognize my usb-serial adapter unless I re-boot the computer with the adapter plugged in.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

... Apparently my old adapter cord didn't have the proper driver for windows 7...
Went through this after my Win7 "upgrade", all I had to do was go to the mfg's website and DL a newer driver. Too late now, but keep that in mind for the next time (or 2... or 3...).
Old 07-31-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

no i meant the MFG's website didn't even have a windows 7 driver, so maybe they went out of business. So I was forced to buy a new one.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking at those cheap netbooks on ebay, haven't pulled the trigger yet but like something cheap thats no big deal if it gets jacked up. Anybody try one of those...damn program wont work on Macs
Old 08-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
I've been looking at those cheap netbooks on ebay, haven't pulled the trigger yet but like something cheap thats no big deal if it gets jacked up. Anybody try one of those...damn program wont work on Macs
What is a Mac?
Old 08-01-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Mac=Apple....there great until u get some Software from MSD or Dynojet But Hey..No viruses so far
Old 08-01-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

my netbook was $230 at best buy....so i'd say that was "cheap" enough
Old 08-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Launching!

my netbook was $230 at best buy....so i'd say that was "cheap" enough
If you go on to MSD 's webb site and look under software, they suggest a certain company for the usb/serial adapter for the newer laptops. One that has a sofware cd with it . Run the CD and it will recognize the program. They have them at Best Buy also. 39.95 Haven't got mine yet. But have looked into it. Hope that helps.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Teching In

I'm sitting on my laptop in my car right now running into the same thing trying to find why it won't fire. Damn technology.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Junkie

I had to open and close the program until it found the right port when I dyno tuned my car..irritating But i was restarting the car each time to (didnt know if I relly needed to do that but oh'well)
Old 08-03-2011, 12:54 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You guys should try plugging the adapter into the USB port, then reboot the 'puter.
My computer will play nice with the MSD if I do this

Quick Reply: anyone using a netbook with msd 6010 software?