Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Carb'd crate options

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 05:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb'd crate options

Ideally, what I have been looking for is a simple setup with either a brand new LQ4/6 or LS2/3 block (stock internals) and an L92 head package topped with a carbureted intake manifold. Does anyone offer this at a good price? I have found an L92 head conversion package (http://paceperformance.com/i-5146192...n-package.html), but I really don't trust myself to buy a new short block and bolt on the head package. So what I am looking for is someone who offers this combo already put together.

Most of the packages I have found (TSP, for instance) have all kinds of forged rotating assemblies that I don't need and are therefore waaay out of my price range. I'd like to spend about 6 grand max for an engine ready to run with the exception of carb and headers. I like the LS376/515 crate but I don't know if I could live with the ASA cam for a daily driver. I have also though about just buying a new LS3 crate for around $6,100, taking off and selling the FI intake, and replacing it with the carb'd one and MSD controller. And I do realize there are much cheaper ways if I were to buy a junkyard LQ, but the key here is I would like new, factory assembled components (or new, affordable aftermarket internals assembled by reputable LS builder).

Any better options?
Old 03-29-2013, 01:12 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't think a lot of guys would be thrilled with that intake or camshaft. Most of the feedback I have read, guys prefer the Victor Jr.

As for the price, I guess you would have to compare it to an itemized list of needed components.

I chose the CNC ported LS6 heads. They have a smaller combustion chamber for more compression and do not require the purchase of offset intake rockers. I am not saying the L92 is not a good way to go, but at price, I kind of like the CNC ported cathedral ports with a Victor Jr. and a custom carb camshaft. L92 heads have some camshaft size limitation without fly cutting that you may not have to worry about with cathedral port heads.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input. See, the flycutting issue is exactly why I don't trust myself to buy a shortblock and slap on the L92 head package! I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined, but when it comes to assembling engines that is a whole different ballgame.

I guess I'm stuck on the L92's because that's the latest and greatest design and the LQ4/L92 head package has been proven to work so well and give you a nice 10:1 compression to boot. I'm sure the CNC cathedral ports would work well too.

On another note, let me pose this question. How about I just buy a complete low mileage L92 engine out of an 08 Escalade on eBay. My goals are 470+ crank HP. I could get an engine like this for around $4,000. Would this be as simple as stripping off all the FI/D.O.D related stuff, throwing on some LS6 valvesprings, a nice TSP or Comp cam, a Victor Jr intake, and then call it a day?
Old 03-30-2013, 08:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

GM makes some pretty killer crate engines. Why not get one straight from them?

http://paceperformance.com/i-6255559...te-engine.html
Old 03-30-2013, 12:21 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

All about how much you want to spend. A reputable shop can build a engine with forged pistons that has valve reliefs to eliminate the worry of PTV and can go beyond the call of duty. A rebuild of a 6.0 may be what you are looking for. New pistons and rods for 800-1000$ and you will have a basically new engine that is bullet proof for the most part. Then get the top end and cam together,
Old 03-30-2013, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
GM makes some pretty killer crate engines. Why not get one straight from them?

http://paceperformance.com/i-6255559...te-engine.html
I'd love to go that route but you're looking at over 7 grand for that. Plus, the ASA cam that comes with that crate would pretty much need to be tossed because there are much better options from Comp that geared toward making good streetable power. Like I said, there has to be a cheaper option especially going with a new, stock LQ block and rotating assembly. The problem is that no one offers it as a package.

Maybe I should just learn to assemble my own top end and put the package together myself!
Old 03-30-2013, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
All about how much you want to spend. A reputable shop can build a engine with forged pistons that has valve reliefs to eliminate the worry of PTV and can go beyond the call of duty. A rebuild of a 6.0 may be what you are looking for. New pistons and rods for 800-1000$ and you will have a basically new engine that is bullet proof for the most part. Then get the top end and cam together,
I am starting to think that is the only route, since apparently no one has thought to tap into the market of building affordable LQ/L92 long blocks. I have emailed several of the top LS builders (most of them in Texas, as a matter of fact ) to get a quote just for that. Haven't heard back from any of them yet though.

I know that slapping on L92 heads & a good cam on a stock short block LQ is not rocket science, and there's probably some mechanic who could do it locally, but I honestly would only trust the best of the best to put this engine together, even with it being such a basic build.

I am located in Greenville, SC if anyone has suggestions of such a builder that is close to me.

Quick Reply: Carb'd crate options