Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

LY6 Carb engine HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LY6 Carb engine HELP!

I purchased a 2008 LY6 engine and would like to convert it to a carburetor, it logged 100K miles in a 1 ton truck, I leaked it down and all holes were 4% or less. This is my first LS / Vortec style engine build and I have a few questions. What is a realistic horsepower goal for a stock short block engine? I have no problem with having to notch the pistons for valve clearance. I was thinking Victor intake manifold, lose the VVT, and would like a cam recommendation as well as some insight on what really needs to be replaced / updated. Lots of people seem to have roller lifter failures with these engines, are the LS7 lifters the answer? Also I see kits to replace the bearings in the rocker arms, are these needed? I am not building a high dollar engine here, but don't want a hand grenade either, I don't really know where this engines weaknesses are. The car is a 1955 Ford Fairlane, about 3500 lbs, 9" rear end, gear ratio and transmission / converter selection will be based on the engine. The car is a cruise night deal, nothing fancy, I have been going to the dragstrip with one of my friends quite a bit lately and would like to try it out. Street manors are unimportant, I have other vehicles to drive to work, I need some fun! Any help will be appreciated, Thanks.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

Many people have used high mileage pieces like yours successfully.

As for the lifters, there is no downside to replacing them except for cost. "LS7" lifter are the same as any new LS lifter. They all resolve to the same part number these days. They are all the same new design.

With 100k on the clock, the trunion bearing replacement is probably a good idea. I highly recommend using an arbor press to replace them as opposed to the vise method. It is just more stable and square. If you don't have one, they can be had from Northern Tool or such for about $80.

The thing about a used high mileage engine is that the more you get into freshening them up, the more they lose any cost advantage they had over purchasing a low mileage engine. Lifters, bearings, valve seals, rings, heads to the machine shop etc. Next thing you know you have spent way more on a high mileage engine then just buying a low mileage piece.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:39 AM
Teching In

here's an article on carb,cam and head swap with dyno results at each stage. I just did a ls swap into my 88 bird I used the hr281xr cam and a 750 proform and love it.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...p/viewall.html
Old 04-03-2013, 02:59 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

You will need a custom grind for those heads. You will love it though. There are many members here running them and they run HARD compared to my old cathedral port 6.0s.

Trunion upgrade is worth it for insurance. I have yet to puke needle bearings, but i cannot act like it is not a concern.

Fly cut the pistons, new springs, cam, pushrods and timing chains and let it eat.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Speedtigger, I agree with you that the replacement of many parts rather than just finding a low mileage engine to start with is not cost effective. That said, if oil pressure is good and the leak down test looks good and the cam, springs, push rods, timing set will be changed any way, I don't know how many high mileage parts I need to worry about, I will probably replace the lifters with the revised style and add a trunion bearing kit, anything else that I should worry about? Zones, I'm on board with the custom cam, with a carb the LCA will most likely be narrower than a computer controlled engine would like. Can you suggest a company that is familiar with cams for rectangular port carb engines? Thanks for the help guys!
Old 04-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by oldnslow
Can you suggest a company that is familiar with cams for rectangular port carb engines? Thanks for the help guys!
Martin @ Tick has some cams on narrow LSAs that should clear with your square port heads. Check with him, he will know which ones will fit.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:13 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Just give Martin a call and he will go through the setup with you and figure out a custom grind that will get the most out of the combination for you.

Pat G is good as well, but he will only reccomend the grind and you will have to have someone grind it.

Martin is really going out of his was for us carbed guys, so just give him a shout.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. I am actually looking to expand the Saturday Night Special "TorqueMAX" line to the square port heads, but I need some solid testing with the square port heads before I put pen to paper.

If I have some takers willing to actually pay for the cam(at a reduced cost of course) I'd love to get the ball rolling on the square port SNS line-up.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:43 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Man, if I had some I'd be in!
Old 04-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
I am actually looking to expand the Saturday Night Special "TorqueMAX" line to the square port heads, but I need some solid testing with the square port heads before I put pen to paper.
I'm in. I'll give you a call next week to discuss, Martin.

Sorry for the hijack. Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:08 PM
In-Zane Moderator

All for the greater expansion of the carbed gurus like us i say!

Quick Reply: LY6 Carb engine HELP!