LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Carbureted LSX Forum (https://ls1tech.com/forums/carbureted-lsx-forum-172/)
-   -   Fitech install goodbye carb. (https://ls1tech.com/forums/carbureted-lsx-forum/1846611-fitech-install-goodbye-carb.html)

mikes87ss 09-25-2016 08:20 PM

Fitech install goodbye carb.

I just installed a Mean Street throttle body fuel injection unit on my 87 Monte Carlo SS.I had an 08 6.2 with a 850 Quickfuel carb,thunder racing cam,GM open plenum intake,turbo 400,3600 stall,9" with 3:70 gears.Carb just got to be a pain instantly filling garage with fumes and I just got tired smelling of the fumes.I already have GrandNational tank,pump and sending unit.I installed a 255lph pump and ran a return from throttle body to a Y at my corvette regulator.3 wires to hook up and coolant sensor and o2 sensor.Few questions to answer on little dashboard computer and it was running.The best thing I've done to this car to make it a pleasure to drive

ZONES89RS 09-26-2016 06:12 AM

Heard good and bad reviews about them. Any place in particular to see what those systems are actually capable of?

mikes87ss 09-26-2016 09:50 AM

Fitech reviews

I looked all over the internet for reviews and drive ability of system before I bought mine.So far I have no complaints.I have decent cam in mine and AFR is about 14.2 -14.5,so it is constantly trying to maintain that AFR.I bought the Mean Street which has 8 injectors and will support up to 800 HP.My car is a weekend cruiser and I love being able to just turn the key and drive it.I can be going 25 mph in 2nd gear and stomp it and obliterate the tires till I let off of it.No bog no hesitation.I saw no other LS in depth installs or reviews on it.For $1167,well worth it.

AnotherWs6 09-26-2016 10:05 AM

I've been eyeballing these for a time, glad to hear that you are happy with it.

ZONES89RS 09-26-2016 11:46 AM

What all comes with the kit? Pics and details?

mikes87ss 09-26-2016 08:04 PM

The kit comes with carb base gaskets,wiring harness,o2 sensor,and some type of getup to rig an o2 sensor hole if you don't have o2 bungs in your headers.I had to purchase some push lock fittings from Summit for fuel fittings and a 30 micron filter.It also came with a suction cup clamp flexible arm to hold the digital display,and the display.You have to tap into tach signal,key on,and battery positive.The water temp harness uses the LS style plug.I happened to have a LS water temp sensor laying around that I threaded in pass.side rear water outlet.Look around at the prices of these other throttle body fuel injection setups.Dollar for dollar this can't be beat.The display asks a few ?'s.What size cubic inch of motor,cam size 1-4.1 being stock 4 radical drag strip cam.I chose 3.What RPM do you want your at idle at when its warmed up.I chose 800 rpm.I turned the key on,fuel pump kicks on and I can hear injectors click.Fired right up and it took some driving to let it learn some parameters.Its constantly learning.

LS1-450 09-26-2016 09:40 PM

FiTech is just OK. We found that a lot of carb guys are enamored by the "new toy" aspect of the FI & don't reveal all of the FiTech quirks.

-The drawiings have a few un-corrected mistakes
-Wire color changes from one side of a wire connector to the next
-starting issues
-runs pig rich @ tip in @ early WOT
-runs down battery if connected to programming screen
-no written manual w/unit. Have to search & download PDF on line
-need internet search to fine tune in order to find out what worked for others. Without trial & error info from the net, would be impossible to dial in
-Define "self tuning"...it is not. It updates, but requires modification to factory settings by the owner.
-etc, etc, etc

ZONES89RS 09-27-2016 01:05 AM

Honestly, I got a harness and ECM from a 5.3 I purchased. I am sure I could get ahead with that. 90 MM intake and TB are cheap. Stock truck injectors will flow 70 lbs per hour uncapped or get the 100$ 54 pounders. That's just me talking off the top of my head. At 1k I'll spend more for the dominator setup.

mikes87ss 09-27-2016 05:58 AM

I put this unit on and have had no issues with it.My car is a weekend toy.For $1100 and to be able to turn key and drive my car,it's worth it to me.For 80% of the people who are doing these swaps it would fit the bill.

AnotherWs6 09-27-2016 08:07 AM

And it's not just for swaps. FItech makes sense for guys like me running old school carb motors. I am aware that there have been some issues. But $1,000 is not a ton of money for a fuel injection system, and that's why it is appealing. For guys who have no interest in complicated systems it makes some sense. It does what we try to do with our carbs - hit and keep a good AFR ratio.

pbeck 01-23-2017 09:31 PM

OK, I'm setting up a LC9 5.3 in a mid engine Corvair. Converted from a DOD/AFM, running a Comp "Mutha Thumper" cam (.563"/.546"), LS7 lifters, Comp "Gold" roller rockers, Edelbrock Victor, Jr. single plane intake with a QFT750dp. I just switched from an MSD LS2 #6012 controller to the MSD 6014. I'm seriously looking at a FItech setup for better drivability. Oh, also running a Zex plate system with 150 jets. 2 questions........I asked FItech about running their unit alongside of an MSD unit-generic answer was,"yeah you can run them together"??
Has anyone on here added the FI while using MSD for your timing and spark triggering ?
Also there units are based on HP, is that base (mine is around 450, untested) or power added ? If it's power added (nitrous), I'll have to step up to the 800hp unit. Appreciate the help.

6D9 01-24-2017 04:01 PM

The swap got rid of the fuel smell in the garage? That smell normally comes from the braided AN line or vented gas caps.

Doug G 01-24-2017 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by 6D9 (Post 19515135)
The swap got rid of the fuel smell in the garage? That smell normally comes from the braided AN line or vented gas caps.

I have both, and with adding the AFR gauge, some tuning, a few beers...14's at idle all is well in the world. TUNE YOUR CARB :eyes:

Take a FI motor, add a carb intake, to go FI ??? :bang: to each their own.

mikes87ss 01-25-2017 04:27 PM

To answer question about MSD running spark and Fitech running fuel.That is the way I have mine set up.I believe there is a way to run the spark control somehow on a LS motor.I have the 800hp Mean Street setup.

pbeck 01-25-2017 08:22 PM

So, Mike, do the MSD and the FItech connect ? I know I didn't get much of an answer from Fi.

6D9 01-25-2017 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Doug G (Post 19515284)
I have both, and with adding the AFR gauge, some tuning, a few beers...14's at idle all is well in the world. TUNE YOUR CARB :eyes:

Take a FI motor, add a carb intake, to go FI ??? :bang: to each their own.

I have the same stuff Doug....wideband...14.5 ish a/f ratio at idle. My car still stinks. The camshaft has lots of overlap and that does not help. Do a search on braided line fumes. No need for the rollie eyes and telling me to tune my carb. We have both been around Team Chevelle(Dirtlips 408) and Team Camaro(6D9) for years. I can tune a carb just fine...

Doug G 01-26-2017 04:35 AM

Yes....but these cars do not have cats and a lot of people don't remember back when cars didn't have cats, so the exhaust "smells" different (more of raw fuel).
Roll eyes wasn't about tuning, but to the FI to carb to FI.

Tuning my carb with the AFR gauge got me a cleaner running car, but haven't seen anything in ET/MPH....guess my WOT was fine.

mikes87ss 01-26-2017 04:31 PM

On my Ls motor they are separate.MSD runs the ignition which I put a timing table in.The Fitech runs by itself with the perameters you tell the computer pre -startup.

kennymox510 03-19-2017 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by mikes87ss (Post 19516993)
On my Ls motor they are separate.MSD runs the ignition which I put a timing table in.The Fitech runs by itself with the perameters you tell the computer pre -startup.

you mind sharing your timing curve? i have the meanstreet as well and i am still using the curve i had when i had the 750 carb. not sure if it will make a difference

LS1-450 09-03-2017 07:25 AM

...A year later FiTech update. Opinion from my above post hasn't changed other than to add that off throttle (DFCO) tuning was difficult, as well. Fuel exhaust burn (pop), tuned it out & would come back. The most effective way to fix it is to change IAC decel open to -40. If you are having this problem, try between -10 & -40. The typical MAP/temp DFCO settings alone won't get rid of it.