Difference between Z28 and SS? - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans
Old 05-13-2016, 05:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Difference between Z28 and SS?

Old 12-27-2010, 09:02 PM
  #1  
Launching!
Thread Starter
 
versz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 211
Default Difference between Z28 and SS?

Im looking forward to upgrading to a newer fourth gen this summer as a graduation present. I don't know what the difference is between a 2000-2002 Z28 and SS. They both come with the Ls1 and they both come with 6 Speed Manuals which is what im going to be getting. They both seem to have T-Tops. Whats the difference? Someone told me the SS is more expensive and Z28s are a dime a dozen. If that's true... WHY? Thanks in advance all.
versz is offline  
Old 12-27-2010, 09:15 PM
  #2  
11 Second Club
iTrader: (27)
 
Z28/2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Posts: 6,803
Default

More Z28's were built than SS's. The main difference is the hood, spoiler, wheels. The SS cars got a different air lid, catback, as well as suspension pieces.

Look for WU8 on the RPO sticker on the driver's door to see if it's a true SS.


Here is a thread with the differences between the LS1 cars from 1998-2002s

https://ls1tech.com/forums/1740880-post2.html


Here is a thread listing specific changes done for the 2001-2002 cars

https://ls1tech.com/forums/1740881-post3.html

Last edited by Z28/2002; 12-27-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Z28/2002 is offline  
Old 12-27-2010, 09:58 PM
  #3  
TECH Apprentice
 
The Bronx Bull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 333
Default

As he stated, the SS package consisted of:
  • SS Hood
  • SS 10-spoke wheels
  • More "free flowing" exhaust
  • Light suspension upgrade
  • SS badging
  • SS spoiler
  • Different gear ratios; I believe A4 SS models got 3.23 gearing.

The performance differences from a stock plain-jane SS and a stock Z28 are negligible.

However, the SS cars were eligible for upgrades from SLP. There were eleven upgrades offered from SLP to the SS model, and they're listed below. A buyer could purchase any combination of these upgrades, and some were pretty good performance choices (Blackwing lid, dual-dual or CME exhausts, 1LE suspension).


1) Intake/Exhaust (all four of these exhaust options were ONLY available in 2002)
-335HP Dual-Dual Performance Exhaust System [Cost:$594 , MSRP:$699 ]
OR
-335HP Center Mounted Performance Exhaust System [Cost:$899 , MSRP:$1059 ]
OR
-345HP Dual-Dual Exhaust Performance Package with High Flow Induction System [Cost:$849 MSRP:$999]
OR
-345HP Center Mount Performance Package with High Flow Induction System [Cost:$1159 MSRP:$1359]

2) Grille
-Camaro SS front grille (N/A on 35th Anniversary models) [Cost:$212 , MSRP:$249 ]

3) Wheels
-17X9", chrome plated, 10 spoke style, Camaro SS aluminum wheels with choice of SS logo center caps or bowtie logo center caps (N/A on 35th Anniversary models) [Cost:$849 , MSRP:$999 ]
OR
-17X9", chrome plated, 5 spoke ZR1 style, Camaro SS aluminum wheels wheels with choice of SS logo center caps or bowtie logo center caps (N/A on 35th Anniversary models) [Cost:$849 , MSRP:$999 ]

4) Tires
-BFGoodrich g-Force 275/40ZR17 tires [Cost:$764 , MSRP:$899 ]

5) Suspension
-Bilstein Ultra Performance Suspension [Cost:$934 , MSRP:$1099 ]
OR
-1LE Suspension Package [Cost:$1650 , MSRP:$1899 ]

6) Differential
-Auburn High Torque Performance Differential with AAM Cast Aluminum Cooling Cover [Cost:$764 , MSRP:$899 ]

7) Deck Mat
-Rear Deck Mat with embroidered SS logo (35th Anniversary models receive unique mat) [Cost:$84 , MSRP:$99 ]

8 ) Floor Mats
-Premium Front Floor Mats with embroidered SS logo (35th Anniversary models receive unique mats) [Cost:$84 , MSRP:$99 ]

9) Car Cover
-Custom-fit Camaro SS Car Cover with locking cable and tote bag (35th Anniversary models receive unique cover and tote bag) [Cost:$135 , MSRP:$159 ]

10) Key Chains/Dash Plaque
-Two Camaro SS key fobs and dash plaque [Cost:$42 , MSRP:$49 ]

11) SLP Commemorative Portfolio
-Commemorative Portfolio that Includes: (See below) [Cost:$49 , MSRP:$59 ]
**Note: This is the regular SLP Camaro SS portfolio, not the 35th Anniversary Edition Camaro portfolio that was part of the GM 35th anniversary Edition Camaro package.
The Bronx Bull is offline  
Old 12-27-2010, 10:05 PM
  #4  
Launching!
Thread Starter
 
versz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 211
Default

Originally Posted by Z28/2002 View Post
More Z28's were built than SS's. The main difference is the hood, spoiler, wheels. The SS cars got a different air lid, catback, as well as suspension pieces.

Look for WU8 on the RPO sticker on the driver's door to see if it's a true SS.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/1740881-post3.html

Thank you for that but in your honest opinion aside from the hood spoiler and wheels. Is the performance in comparison from a z28 to a ss Even noticeable? Or is it just the little things that make that 2-3 horsepower difference? Because if i can get a z28 for 10k but the same exact SS is 15k and all it has is the cool looking hood and wheels i can find online for 400 a piece. Then thats the extra 4 grand i can spend on a supercharger to improve my efficiency
versz is offline  
Old 12-28-2010, 03:32 AM
  #5  
myk
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (4)
 
myk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sun Diego
Posts: 1,838
Default

The only reason why I'd buy an SS over a 'Z is the hood and wheels. Alot of people, including myself, think they can save money by finding a 'Z or a T/A and then "build" a clone SS or WS6. But in the end, you spend the same amount of money and alot more effort tracking down parts and making them look proper on the car. In regards to performance, get used to this saying: "an LS1 is an LS1 is an LS1 is an LS1..." It's been proven that some SS's and WS6's dyno either the same or maybe even less than their Z28 and T/A counterparts-it can go back and forth all day. There was even a 'mag article back in the day where a T/A out-dyno'ed an LS1 Vette (probably because of the power-robbing IRS).

So if you want the hood and wheels, get the SS. If you just want the powertrain and the extra money, get the 'Z. The SS and WS6 packages are not worth it in regards to performance...

Last edited by myk; 12-28-2010 at 03:45 AM.
myk is offline  
Old 12-28-2010, 05:37 PM
  #6  
TECH Apprentice
iTrader: (29)
 
super_fro_daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 906 (Sault Ste. Marie MI)
Posts: 349
Default

Originally Posted by versz View Post
Is the performance in comparison from a z28 to a ss Even noticeable? Or is it just the little things that make that 2-3 horsepower difference?
Stock for stock obviously, but the power difference is more from freer flowing induction and exhaust than internal differences between the them. Some people get an SS or WS6 more to say they have on than because its faster - that only matters stock (and who leaves these stock anyways).

I always said Firebird since no one seemed to know what a Formula was. now I've got a Trans Am and I get a "whoa! a Trans Am!" when its essentially the same car.
super_fro_daddy is offline  
Old 12-28-2010, 05:49 PM
  #7  
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (8)
 
deelong4002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Stockbridge, MI
Posts: 725
Default

No real difference except price. The horsepower difference from the factory was marginal, definately not the 20-25 hp advertised.
deelong4002 is offline  
Old 12-29-2010, 01:12 AM
  #8  
Launching!
Thread Starter
 
versz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 211
Default

Thank you all you've definetly changed my opinion. And possibly saved me 4-6 grand. Definetly putting headers on a z28 so the exhaust didn't matter. will post pictures of her as sooon as I get her.
versz is offline  
Old 12-31-2010, 06:54 AM
  #9  
11 Second Club
iTrader: (9)
 
Cold06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 146
Default

Nothing really special about the ss. I just got a good deal on mine price the the main thing most of the parts on the ss and z will be changed anyway so go with the best deal!! Good luck hunting!!
Cold06 is offline  
Old 01-25-2011, 03:09 AM
  #10  
Teching In
 
wavechaser2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: College Station , Texas
Posts: 34
Default

bought my z bone stock bc i got a great deal. found the hood and spoiler online. guy had them in a barn. go with whatever u find the best deal on
wavechaser2007 is offline  
Old 01-31-2011, 03:14 PM
  #11  
12 Second Club
iTrader: (19)
 
Mr. Trick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,088
Default

Originally Posted by Z28/2002 View Post
More Z28's were built than SS's. The main difference is the hood, spoiler, wheels. The SS cars got a different air lid, catback, as well as suspension pieces.
]
Just wanted to ad not all SS cars got a different air lid, the blackwing air lid was an slp option.
Mr. Trick is offline  
Old 02-01-2011, 10:45 PM
  #12  
11 Second Club
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 1,832
Default

The SS has 325 hp and the Z28 only has 310 hp.

A lot of Z28s are faster out of the box because the SSs and WS6s tend to be more optioned out and weigh more.
02 Camaro SS is offline  
Old 02-01-2011, 11:01 PM
  #13  
TECH Resident
iTrader: (1)
 
LE35thSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 786
Default

i like knowing i own a ss.
LE35thSS is offline  
Old 03-02-2011, 10:04 PM
  #14  
Launching!
Thread Starter
 
versz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 211
Default

Thank you all and 310 hp z28 vs 325 hp ss? Driver's race imo either way I got my eyes set on a 01' 6 spd SS hopefully when i pick it up I will post it in my garage before/after. I always wanted to supercharge an Ls1 and build the perfect daily driver/cruising toy.
versz is offline  
Old 03-03-2011, 09:08 AM
  #15  
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (7)
 
DarkFox118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rockmart, GA
Posts: 590
Default

great info here.

Typical of GM really to do minor tweaks between models like this with an existing engine for "more power" than the other guy, when aftermarket would open them both up pretty easily.

performance aside, basically you're saving yourself money by getting an SS because you don't have to search around for SS stock hoods later like i'm doing
DarkFox118 is offline  
Old 03-03-2011, 01:16 PM
  #16  
12 Second Club
iTrader: (3)
 
dee99gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 375
Default

Originally Posted by LE35thSS View Post
i like knowing i own a ss.
yeah.. my ss was also cheaper than the 2 Z28's that were on the lot, plus I like white so I went with my ss..
dee99gt is offline  
Old 03-03-2011, 02:32 PM
  #17  
Staging Lane
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 81
Default

Didn't the SS cars also include a power steering cooler?
hisjakeness is offline  
Old 03-03-2011, 04:51 PM
  #18  
11 Second Club
iTrader: (27)
 
Z28/2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Posts: 6,803
Default

Originally Posted by hisjakeness View Post
Didn't the SS cars also include a power steering cooler?
It was standard on the SS and WS6 cars
Z28/2002 is offline  
Old 03-04-2011, 06:52 PM
  #19  
Staging Lane
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: spencerport ny
Posts: 62
Default

Originally Posted by The Bronx Bull View Post
As he stated, the SS package consisted of:
  • SS Hood
  • SS 10-spoke wheels
  • More "free flowing" exhaust
  • Light suspension upgrade
  • SS badging
  • SS spoiler
  • Different gear ratios; I believe A4 SS models got 3.23 gearing.

The performance differences from a stock plain-jane SS and a stock Z28 are negligible.

However, the SS cars were eligible for upgrades from SLP. There were eleven upgrades offered from SLP to the SS model, and they're listed below. A buyer could purchase any combination of these upgrades, and some were pretty good performance choices (Blackwing lid, dual-dual or CME exhausts, 1LE suspension).


1) Intake/Exhaust (all four of these exhaust options were ONLY available in 2002)
-335HP Dual-Dual Performance Exhaust System [Cost:$594 , MSRP:$699 ]
OR
-335HP Center Mounted Performance Exhaust System [Cost:$899 , MSRP:$1059 ]
OR
-345HP Dual-Dual Exhaust Performance Package with High Flow Induction System [Cost:$849 MSRP:$999]
OR
-345HP Center Mount Performance Package with High Flow Induction System [Cost:$1159 MSRP:$1359]

2) Grille
-Camaro SS front grille (N/A on 35th Anniversary models) [Cost:$212 , MSRP:$249 ]

3) Wheels
-17X9", chrome plated, 10 spoke style, Camaro SS aluminum wheels with choice of SS logo center caps or bowtie logo center caps (N/A on 35th Anniversary models) [Cost:$849 , MSRP:$999 ]
OR
-17X9", chrome plated, 5 spoke ZR1 style, Camaro SS aluminum wheels wheels with choice of SS logo center caps or bowtie logo center caps (N/A on 35th Anniversary models) [Cost:$849 , MSRP:$999 ]

4) Tires
-BFGoodrich g-Force 275/40ZR17 tires [Cost:$764 , MSRP:$899 ]

5) Suspension
-Bilstein Ultra Performance Suspension [Cost:$934 , MSRP:$1099 ]
OR
-1LE Suspension Package [Cost:$1650 , MSRP:$1899 ]

6) Differential
-Auburn High Torque Performance Differential with AAM Cast Aluminum Cooling Cover [Cost:$764 , MSRP:$899 ]

7) Deck Mat
-Rear Deck Mat with embroidered SS logo (35th Anniversary models receive unique mat) [Cost:$84 , MSRP:$99 ]

8 ) Floor Mats
-Premium Front Floor Mats with embroidered SS logo (35th Anniversary models receive unique mats) [Cost:$84 , MSRP:$99 ]

9) Car Cover
-Custom-fit Camaro SS Car Cover with locking cable and tote bag (35th Anniversary models receive unique cover and tote bag) [Cost:$135 , MSRP:$159 ]

10) Key Chains/Dash Plaque
-Two Camaro SS key fobs and dash plaque [Cost:$42 , MSRP:$49 ]

11) SLP Commemorative Portfolio
-Commemorative Portfolio that Includes: (See below) [Cost:$49 , MSRP:$59 ]
**Note: This is the regular SLP Camaro SS portfolio, not the 35th Anniversary Edition Camaro portfolio that was part of the GM 35th anniversary Edition Camaro package.
the Z28 A4 is 3.23 gears as well. when i had it on the lift i used a trick my dad tought me... use a marker and make a mark on one of your rear tires... and then turn the driveshaft, every rotation of the driveshaft equals 1.00 on your gears... i ended up with 3.25 with my eyes which equates to 3.23... just a lil trick for anybody who is wondering what thier car has... its an easy check
motooleLS1 is offline  
Old 03-06-2011, 02:47 PM
  #20  
11 Second Club
iTrader: (27)
 
Z28/2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Posts: 6,803
Default

Originally Posted by motooleLS1 View Post
the Z28 A4 is 3.23 gears as well. when i had it on the lift i used a trick my dad tought me... use a marker and make a mark on one of your rear tires... and then turn the driveshaft, every rotation of the driveshaft equals 1.00 on your gears... i ended up with 3.25 with my eyes which equates to 3.23... just a lil trick for anybody who is wondering what thier car has... its an easy check
Not all have 3.23s, depends on how the car was optioned. My '02 had 2.73s
Z28/2002 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Difference between Z28 and SS?


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: