Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Electrical problem, or starter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problem, or starter?

I have a 2001 camaro 3.8 series engine, I had the monsoon stereo setup when I had received the car used. I replaced the stock radio (without doing anything to the theft lock program) with a newer stereo. I also replaced the blown speakers with new pioneer speakers. I noticed battery drain problems and had a couple batteries replaced before I started unplugging the monsoon stock amp whenever I turned the car off, which appeared to stop the drainage. I did this until recently when the car wouldn't start properly.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:39 AM

Default Electrical problem, or starter?

I have a 2001 camaro 3.8 series engine, I had the monsoon stereo setup when I had received the car used. I replaced the stock radio (without doing anything to the theft lock program) with a newer stereo. I also replaced the blown speakers with new pioneer speakers. I noticed battery drain problems and had a couple batteries replaced before I started unplugging the monsoon stock amp whenever I turned the car off, which appeared to stop the drainage. I did this until recently when the car wouldn't start properly.
I assumed it was the starter because the car would not attempt to turn over, all you would hear was a clicking sound from behind the dash. I checked all of the fuses and they were fine, and I had a friend go under and bang on the starter while I tried to turn it over and nothing. I went and decided to plug the amp back in, and the car started immediately. It lasted about a day until once again the car will not start back up. I don't know if the amp is somehow causing problems for the starter or if its just a fluke. Im about to go buy a new starter but I need input on what I should do first.

Also because I had not disabled the theft lock system, could that be a problem for whatever reason?
Old 03-02-2014, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Check the start enable relay. I am not sure where it is located.

Quick Reply: Electrical problem, or starter?