Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Lean or Rich?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 09:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lean or Rich?

My 02 M6 Camaro has been running pretty strong for my butt dyno. However It was brought to my attention that It's shooting flames from the exhaust tips. I have had it Dyno tuned for the cam, Headers, and ORY but not for the SLP Loudmouth II. I recently put a new set of NGK TR6 Plugs and K&N filter. The car is mostly stock save for the cam (valvtrain upgrades) and exhaust. My question is should I be concerned? Gas mileage ranges from 10-14 city but 24-25 on the Highway. I just changed over to 3.90's so I am not sure if that'll change but that's whats going on. Should I change something or be concerned?
Old 06-01-2015, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would find someone with a wideband, hook it up, and see what the readings tell you. I would also invest in buying a wideband and an a-pillar pod. AEM makes a very good wideband for not a whole lot of money. A car can be tuned to run lean outside of WOT, as that's going to get you the best gas mileage. Once you hammer down on the gas pedal, the Air/Fuel readings should go to reading in the safe range.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I would find someone with a wideband, hook it up, and see what the readings tell you. I would also invest in buying a wideband and an a-pillar pod. AEM makes a very good wideband for not a whole lot of money. A car can be tuned to run lean outside of WOT, as that's going to get you the best gas mileage. Once you hammer down on the gas pedal, the Air/Fuel readings should go to reading in the safe range.
I wanted to add the AFR gauge, oil temp gauge, and a fuel pressure gauge but my I am not sure how to run the wiring or connect to a 12v source. I am not sure how to do it. I put in a cam, but I am ignorant to that stuff. Is there a hole that'll run the wires through?

Is there a way to know if its running lean or rich by the fact that its spitting flames?
Old 06-01-2015, 11:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Flames out of the exhaust just means there's fuel droplets being thrown around a hot exhaust and lighting off. Could be from improper burning in the combustion chamber or depending on the cam just straight up raw fuel being sucked out the exhaust during cam overlap. You still need a wideband to actually see what is going on.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nwilson44
I wanted to add the AFR gauge, oil temp gauge, and a fuel pressure gauge but my I am not sure how to run the wiring or connect to a 12v source. I am not sure how to do it. I put in a cam, but I am ignorant to that stuff. Is there a hole that'll run the wires through?

Is there a way to know if its running lean or rich by the fact that its spitting flames?
The 12v source can be had by doing an "add a fuse" in the fuse location when you open the driver's side door. Wiring up a wideband is very simple. I had never done anything like it either, but was able to wire up a shift light, wideband, and fuel pressure gauge. You can run the wires through the firewall.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

The Aem wideband is a must along with a handheld tuner. I have the" Diablosport tuner". And it's great for changing gear ratios , adjusting fuel trims and timing. These tools are a must. Or you are just shooting in the dark. Know what your afr is at WOT is very important plus you can adjust you slope injectors for part throttle afr. I started with new 02 sensers. And then tunedy Car my self with these tools, by adding/subtracting timing were needed and adjusting my AfR. To have 12.2 all the way to red line with no spark knock running 91 octane. The car ran like **** on the stock tune and sometimes I would have the same problem as you do between high rpm shifts. But now it runs like a beast. And I can retune it for all the different seasons.

Quick Reply: Lean or Rich?