Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

1998 z28 Street Beast Build - "VENOM"

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 10:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chantro
Definitely the little stuff. This isn't my first build, its just my first "full, it needs just about everything" build. The big stuff I know what to expect, it's always those little pieces that eat the budget. Your build sounds like a monster, what are you putting down?
We had a couple small issues that I have since lined out and were limited with a clutch that is not up to the task (This winters project) but on a 10lb wastegate spring only it made 660hp/680tq. It will be turned up to 16lbs come spring time and we will see what that brings.

The smaller stuff and a few add ons that I did not have to have like a roll bar and far more suspension work than I planned really sent my bill higher than I wanted. . But for now I am pretty happy with the car.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KyleLanter
We had a couple small issues that I have since lined out and were limited with a clutch that is not up to the task (This winters project) but on a 10lb wastegate spring only it made 660hp/680tq. It will be turned up to 16lbs come spring time and we will see what that brings.

The smaller stuff and a few add ons that I did not have to have like a roll bar and far more suspension work than I planned really sent my bill higher than I wanted. . But for now I am pretty happy with the car.
That's pretty good man, let me know how it goes. I really would like to go turbo'd because everyone says that it is one of the easiest set-ups that make incredible power, but I'm just staying the supercharged route because it's less parts you need, less upkeep, and pretty much it's a lazy man's power adder lol.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

UPDATE: I've created a build sheet that I found from another forum and it is looking pretty good as far as build sheets go. If any one is interested in the template just let me know and I can get it to you. I have decided that I'm going to be doing a supercharged 383 stroker that will start life from a iron LM7 block and it will be bored to 3.905 to fit this rotating assembly. http://www.jegs.com/i/Eagle/356/129223905/10002/-1 I'm also going with the Trick Flow GenX 215 Cylinder Heads, which I have heard nothing, but good things about. If any of you guys know of any heads that work just as well for a better price than the $1200 for the Trickflows then let me know lol.

I'm pretty undecided still on what supercharger I'm going to go with. This isn't a blower through the hood type of build, I ideally want a twin-screw top mount, but I just cant find one anyway. I still have no idea on what cam I'm going to run the car so any suggestions would be great. I'm also planning on getting a used Ford 9' rear and rebuilding and beefing it up. I'm also in the works now for a custom driveshaft that will support the power. When it comes to my transmission, its one of those it can be so simple, but I'm making it hard kind of deals. I'm stuck between the 700R4 and the 4L80E, but I also want it be semi-automatic and have a manual/automatic valve body. I seen a couple of them and I'm kind of leaning towards http://www.jegs.com/i/TCI/890/371200/10002/-1. Do any of you guys know will I have to get anything custom built due to me going with a Ford rear-end, custom driveshaft, and GM transmission???? I'm still up in the air with what kind of intake to run, but I'm planning on going with the LSXR 102mm Intake Manifold. Oh, and I'm going with Corbeau seats, halo headlights, 60lb/h Siemens Deka High Impedance (Long Style) with EV1 Connector, Walbro 450LPH - TI Automotive TIA485-2 Fuel Pump on the stock fuel system, aftermarket flat bottom steering wheel, Power Stop 1-Click Z26 Street Warrior Brake Kits with Calipers, with a early model CTS-V brembo conversion on the front, BMR - Level 1 Drag Race Suspension Package, TCI Diablo Shifter: TCI 620004 shifter, etc. I have links to any and everything I'm considering so if anybody is curious about anything I have the full information for it in my build sheet. Also, suggestions and ideas are welcomed and encouraged lol.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subed to watch the progress.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:58 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Lookin' good!
Old 11-21-2017, 03:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TrickFlowTech
Lookin' good!
Thank you, its not moving along like I've hoped and the gameplan keeps changing,but i'm trying to get it going.

Originally Posted by topless2002SS
subed to watch the progress.
I'll say this it will be a almost slow process, but I promise this isn't going to be one of those threads. You know the I get my questions answered then I drop off the face of the earth type of threads with no updates lol.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

Update: The build just got a little more interesting. The 5.3 LM7 block that I've been planning for and was about to start building turned out not to be what I was looking for right now. I lucked up on a combo deal for $400. I picked up a LQ4 6.0 out of a 03 express that had a spun bearing and a 4L80E that has a broken input shaft, but doesn't really matter to me because I was going to rebuild the engine and trans anyway. So now I'm switching gears and tuning everything from centered from a 5.3 to a 6.0. This really is going to help to hitting my HP goal a little easier. If anyone is following this thread and could possibly answer a few questions about the LQ4 and 4L80E could you chime in because I could use the insight and help lol.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

I've been searching around and I've come to a conclusion of how I'm going to d the engine and trans. I'm going to go stock bottom end on the lq4. That comes after seeing so many alike builds that have done the same and some are a couple years old and still ticking. I'm switching in though lq9 rods from the newer style for the little added strength they provide. I'm buying new OEM pistons and crank. The guy said the crank I have now could be turned and polished but I'll just opt for a new one. The trans I'm going full rebuild with a shift kit and a manual/automatic valve body to make it a semi auto. I'm thinking of runing a good lopey cam until I save up for the supercharger. I'm still on the fence about the supercharger I'm going with, but I finally let go of the top mount look lol and I'll settle for any supercharger for a good price as long as it gives me that supercharger whine. I'm thinking of going with a used USA supercharger. If you any of you are on performancetrucks i'm over there as well because as you can see this thread hasn't really been the most helpful. I'm for sure updating that one but this one I may pop back in, but the one I have over there is giving me more help and insight so yeah lol.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

Update: Since this will be sort of a budget build and I'm very impatient. I'm going to get the car up and running without the supercharger at first. So now its more or less a see how far I can push a stock bottom end and how much HP i can make N/A because I mean hey if I blow it up I can also get another block. I'm now in the planning phases and I'm thinking of going with either L92 heads or which ever heads I find out are better than stocks, but don't cost an arm and leg. I'm most likely going with Comp Cams 54-426-11 camshaft, stock rods and pistons *that will be new and rods will come from either ls2 or lq9*, and stock truck intake or anything other intake that gives more, but that still doesn't cost an arm or leg lol.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

I don't even know if people are still even looking at this, but none the less here goes lol.

Update: I'm still planning on pushing as far as I can N/A and this will budget build just to get where I can get before I start upgrading. I've gotten pretty much everything planned out and the build sheet is basically filed out for building 2 to 3 full cars lol. I'm going to keep chugging along and will slow build "Venom" as my budget sees fit. If anyone has any LS swap knowledge, if you could chime in because I still have a few blank spots on the build sheet that I'm trying to fill in and have no idea what to go with seeing as this is my first LS swap.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

As far as appearance goes I'm going to leave the crappy paint for now to give it that sleeper look. I'm going with aftermarket racing seats that are about $1000 give or take a couple hundred and I'm leaning towards Corbeau right now. I'm also doing custom overlay gauges for the instrument cluster and I will start working on that as soon as I get some time off. I'm also ripping out the carpet and headliner and replacing both of them due to them just being old and needing replacement. Headlights I will be going with aftermarket projector types, I'm still trying to find some I like or I'll just end up attempting to make some myself. Sequential tail lights will be on the rear and that will be a PITA project that I know will be worth it in the end.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

Update: Build is at a crawl due to budgeting, which is very frustrating, but that's life. Have some wiggle room, so will be sending the LQ4 block off to be hot tanked, cleaned, and have the bearings replaced. While that's away I'm going to try and find a stock rotating assembly with flat top pistons and the stronger gen 4 rods preferably for a budget price lol. I have completed something though. I got done with the custom guage overlays for the instrument cluster. Theme of the car is venom so that's what I went with in mind on the overlays.
Attached Thumbnails 1998 z28 Street Beast Build - "VENOM"-20171231_203315_resized.jpg   1998 z28 Street Beast Build - "VENOM"-20171231_210137_resized.jpg   1998 z28 Street Beast Build - "VENOM"-20171231_205130_resized.jpg   1998 z28 Street Beast Build - "VENOM"-20171231_210214_resized.jpg   1998 z28 Street Beast Build - "VENOM"-20171231_212936_resized.jpg  

1998 z28 Street Beast Build - "VENOM"-20171231_213111_resized.jpg  
Old 01-15-2018, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by trixieSS
I'm new to the LS camp as well. I'm not looking to get into anything crazy and big as of yet. but you can find an SS for an example that is already turn key street ready making in the 500hp range. prices may vary but I've seen them going for 12k. I paid 5k for mine and its 100% stock. now I also have an 03 cobra that I had a Boss 5.0 built for it. just like you I wanted a motor that can handle close to 900rwhp. the motor alone was 13k. not including the Whipple charger, fuel system etc etc lol. You will find the weak links in your car real quick once you start romping on it or in my case having it tuned and finding out the fuel system wasn't up to the task lol. basically what we are all saying is don't plan on a budget
True, but lots of us want to ruin a car ouselelves.

Cory
Old 01-18-2018, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 152 Likes on 137 Posts

I'm following you. Keep at it and be patient.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Nathan C
I'm following you. Keep at it and be patient.
Thank you for following and the kind words. It's a bit frustrating at how slow its going because I like everything to be done quickly lol, but I'm keeping at it because I'm not just building this for me now. My nephew (who is more like a son) is really interested so he trumps all and wants the car to stay and be finished so it will.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

Update: Block is officially sent off to the machine shop. Had some pitting and it wasn't able to be honed so it will now be bored .30 over. Machine shop will also put in new bearings all around and while it's there the shop owner said he can find some internals for me so I'll just go that right for now. Looking for a crank though, if anybody knows where I can find a good condition one for a fair price let me know. I'm also doing a LS3 top end and have already bought the intake manifold, which should be in next week. Also looking to pick up some good condition LS3 heads if anybody knows where I can find some of them as well.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:40 PM
Staging Lane

UUUUUUPPPPPPDDDDDDAAAAAAATTTTTTTTEEEEEEE: Block is off at the machine shop getting all prettied up and due to some fortunate events, I now have some wiggle room and excess to spend on the build. *insert happy dance here*. Right now I'm shopping to finish off the engine and start on the suspension. So right now I'm trying to buy some ls3 heads, cam, fuel rails, etc. With the suspension I'm trying to get k member, lower and upper arms, etc. If I play my cards right I might even be able to sneak in a driveshaft and a rear end. Should be fun. Also does anyone know how I can get into contact with Texas Speed on here? I'm in need of getting a cam spec'd.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

UPDATE: So today I did something incredible. I was building the 6.0 and was going to put a 4l80e behind it. That was the game plan........until today. I just picked up a LS3 long block that, the guy said spun a main bearing. Will be rebuilding this and throwing a nice trans (to be decided) behind it. The build honestly for me just got a little bit easier. Pics will be added when I get home from work.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

Update: So the build as many is at a standstill. The LS3 is off being worked on and built. Plans are to do forged internals, with stock top end (I may do some porting on the intake and TB if I can find a reason to), and a mild cam, but I may go as wild as I can with the cam but try to make sure it's still streetable.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do yourself a favor and get one plan and stick with it. Switching to every block that comes your way isnt helping much. With that said if you are still planning the boost route a wild cam is not what you want. Call up BTR or comp and talk with someone who has the experience towards specing a cam for your application.

Quick Reply: 1998 z28 Street Beast Build - "VENOM"