Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Intermittent starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent starting problem

I hope someone can help me with this, my Wife's Camaro (year 2000 3.8 V6) has a starting problem, She has
had this car since it was new and never had a problem starting it until we did an engine swap.

Now occasionally when she turns the key the car will not start, all the power comes on but the starter
motor will not engage, I have replaced the key cylinder with the correct chip in the keys to match the car,
I replaced the ignition switch under the dash on the steering column, I replaced the starter relay under the
hood, I replaced the starter motor and it still does the same thing sometimes it will start as soon as she
turns the key and other times she has to wait 15 to 30 minuets before she can start the car.

Any ideas anybody? If its a costly repair is it possible to by pass the relay with a direct fused line to the
starter solenoid connected to a momentary push button switch in the dash?

Thanks for any help
Old 01-06-2018, 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A little clarity needed here, as my '02 Z28 does something similar. Only on first start attempt, when its colder than 30 degrees or so. No response from cluster or starter, but radio, windows and external lights work. Can hear a clunk from one of the underhood relays (not sure which one though).....but car dead as a doornail. Cycle key 4 or 5 times, cluster comes on, proves out and car fires right up. Will not occur for the rest of the day.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Intermittent issues are always the hardest. You need to start testing to eliminate possibilities and narrow down the real issue. I'd probably start with seeing if the start wire is powering up. Not sure if it is also the large purple single plug MP250 connector on the fender of the V6. If that isn't getting power work your way back toward the ignitions switch to find the circuit that is on part time duty.

Quick Reply: Intermittent starting problem