Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS Turbo Oil Return Pump Keeps Blowing 15Amp Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default STS Turbo Oil Return Pump Keeps Blowing 15Amp Fuse

I’ve had the STS system in my 1997 Camaro now over 12 years with no issues. I recently had a new clutch installed and that’s when my problem began. When driving the car under normal conditions, the car runs great. If I take the car over 2500 RPM, the fuse blows for the oil return pump, oil pump alarm sounds, and of course white smoke comes out of the exhaust.

Items that have been changed:

1. Fuses

2. Both Relays

3. Oil pump

Still have the same issue. I have checked the wires, and all looks good. I’ve checked for shorts, no luck. Unfortunately, STS doesn’t have schematics for the oil return pump system. It doesn’t look like much as far as wiring but I’m confused with using 2 relays, and some type of pressure switch next to the oil return pump.

Has anyone here have this system that had a similar problem? I guess I will probably end up getting a new wiring harness.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever sort this issue out?
Old 05-29-2020, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Yes, I sure did. It turns out I had an old wiring harness. I purchased the newer one from STS along with a new turbo. The issue was definitely the wiring harness. I purchased a new harness, oil return pump and a new turbo. Good thing I decided to purchase a new turbo as the old one on finally gave out.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the quick reply. I've just inherited (Father-in-law) a very problematic G8GT with the dual STS rear turbo kit. Keeps blowing the 15a fuse on the passenger side. Last mechanic that worked on it butchered the wiring job. I'm replacing both turbos and surge pumps with decent parts.
The following users liked this post:
97SS4KS (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Man, great car and with twins, wow. You may want to contact STS for those parts. From what I was told by the owner, Holly is a partner and distributor for the STS parts. In my case, they redesigned the harness for the return oil pump. Its all fixed and working now. Funny thing happened to me. Once I got that fixed, the rearend and transmission went out on the Camaro. I now have a new drivetrain that can handle the power. Good luck with your project

Quick Reply: STS Turbo Oil Return Pump Keeps Blowing 15Amp Fuse