Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd Gen header clearance (right hand drive!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 12:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Gen header clearance (right hand drive!)

Hi Everyone,

I'm putting a Gen IV 6.0 into my 71 Firebird Formula and I have found some good info on this site to help with the conversion.

As I live in Australia the Firebird has been converted to right hand drive with the steering box on the RHF chassis rail closely mirroring the original LHD setup. As such I have reduced clearance for headers on the right side (US passenger side) where the shaft from column to steering box runs.

BRP sent me a link with some good pictures of their long tube headers on a 2nd gen Camaro and while they look good the 2nd tube runs down very close to the chassis rail on the right hand side and may not clear the steering shaft.

I have seen some good pics on this site of the Edelbrock headers on A-body's and they look like they may have increased clearance where I need it.

Does anybody have some pictures of the Edelbrocks fitted to a 2nd gen F-Body particularly on the right hand side, or some measurements of these headers.

As I have to ship my choice of headers to Australia returns are not an option so I need to make an educated decision, any assistance would be appreciated.

Jarrod
Old 11-02-2008, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a link to a post with the only pics I've seen of the Edelbrocks installed in a second gen... https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/996963-edelbrock-headers-2nd-gen.html

Not sure if you can tell what you need from the pics but you can probably send him a pm and ask... alot of people here are real helpful.

I have the Edelbrock headers but don't have my motor in the car yet. From what I've heard, you have a couple of inches of room to move them around for clearance.

Last edited by olblue51; 11-02-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been researching headers for fit and believe that the TBSS headers from Kooks may be one of your best bets. The TB's have a very tight engine compartment.

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen header clearance (right hand drive!)