Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have spark but injectors won't spray. vats?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Have spark but injectors won't spray. vats?

Tonight I finally got my car to a point where it is ready to start. I spent most of the night checking over all the wiring and am positive it is wired correctly. I have spark on all cylinders, and pressure at the rail, but my injectors are not spraying. My ecu was retuned and the first thing I put on the list was to remove the VATS. Is there anything else I should look at before contacting the tuner who reprogrammed it?
Old 11-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Teching In

up u ppup u
Old 11-09-2008, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

how long has it sat, mine had 6 out of 8 injectors froze shut, take them out, soak them in alcohol, tap on them and put 12 volts to them, they will tick if they are working right, just like a solenoid.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LUMPY85
how long has it sat, mine had 6 out of 8 injectors froze shut, take them out, soak them in alcohol, tap on them and put 12 volts to them, they will tick if they are working right, just like a solenoid.

I'll second that. Have you put a test light to the injectors to see if you have power and if the PCM is firing them? I would start there.

Re'
Old 11-10-2008, 08:21 AM
Staging Lane

Thats a good idea, I'll try that tonight. I checked that all of the pins at the injector plugs were grounded but did not check to make sure they were getting power. I'm going to run by radioshack also and pick up what I need to make a vats bypass.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Question ??

Originally Posted by rigid
Thats a good idea, I'll try that tonight. I checked that all of the pins at the injector plugs were grounded but did not check to make sure they were getting power. I'm going to run by radioshack also and pick up what I need to make a vats bypass.
How did you check to see that "I checked that all of the pins at the injector plugs were grounded"???

Key on, should have 12v at 1 side.. The other side is not grounded, unless the engine is turning over/or running. And, only when that particular inj is being fired....
A noid lite is the proper tool to check for inj circuit operation @ the inj.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Launching!

Do NOT use a test light on your injectors. Use a multimeter or noid lights to see if the electrical side is working..
Old 11-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by samh_08
Do NOT use a test light on your injectors. Use a multimeter or noid lights to see if the electrical side is working..
what is diff about the two, a test light and a noid light? never heard of these
Old 11-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Launching!

98% of test lights arent very high quality and can have excessive resistance which in turn puts a greater load on the PCM and could mean a failure. A noid light is something that plugs directly into the injector harness and will blick every time the injector is commanded by the PCM. Noid lights were designed for injector testing so there is no harm in using them...very easy and efficient way of seeing if the electrical side of injectors is working
Old 11-10-2008, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got my 07 5.3 into my 84 Silverado and I think I'm having a similar problem. I have spark at the plug, fuel at the fuel rail, but unknown in the injectors are firing. Harness was by current performance and program was by wait 4 me. Now i'm worried the anti-theft wasn't removed. Can u rent a noid test light or do u have to buy the kit?
Old 11-10-2008, 04:00 PM
11 Second Club

Could you use a stethoscope or the screwdriver handle in ear trick to hear them clicking? while still on the engine?
Old 11-10-2008, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ryanvv355
Could you use a stethoscope or the screwdriver handle in ear trick to hear them clicking? while still on the engine?
Yes you could also use a piece of heater hose to tune your ear to the sound of the injectors ticking. If you have a multimeter and know how to use it, you can either put it on continuity or ohms and backprobe the odd colored injector wire. If the electrical side is commanding the injector on, your multimeter will beep or go from 'out of range' to some number under 1ohm. Any more questions..ask away.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

get a 12v LED from Radio Shack, put each pin in the backside of the injector plug - long side positive, short side ground ( may have to extend the pins with wire).....crank over while someone watches the LED....
Old 11-10-2008, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry if i am hijacking your thread - I just need help.
Just tried a noid test light & I got no signal. I called Wait 4 Me and he said that even w/ an 07 the engine would still start & run for 10 seconds if the VATS were still in the computer? Any truth here? I was just told by Current Performance that 07-up were different and if the Anti-theft were not disable it would send no current whatsoever to the injectors. HELP! Someone is wrong here. Jesse at Wait 4 me said he thinks I am not getting a full 12 volts to the injectors either b/c it was wired incorrectly or I powered incorrectly. I have to go buy a new voltmeter so I can check. Input very welcome.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Launching!

Check to see if you have 12v ignition at the injectors and if not, follow your circuit back until you find your problem
Old 11-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

So heres what I have found tonight with a multimeter and test light. With the ecu power off, zero power at pink wires to injectors, grounds all show grounded. With power on, pink all have 12v, no grounds on other side. Crank it over and ground comes in and out. If I plug a test light in, it flashes on and off. Guess my injectors are stuck. I'll pull them out tomorrow and see about having them cleaned at a local injector place.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:28 PM
11 Second Club

Do you have fuel pressure?
Old 11-11-2008, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yup. Sounds like you got stuck injectors. I've seen it in about 20% of replacement salvage yard engines I've installed.

Originally Posted by ryanvv355
Do you have fuel pressure?
Read his first post.

Yes.

Re'
Old 11-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

I had the injectors cleaned at a local injector place in an ultrasonic cleaner. They said they were really stuck and they had to back flow them several times to get all the grime out of them. But they ended up flowing pretty even on the flow bench. Put them in and it fired up first try tonight. After 3 months I'm one step closer to getting my car back on the road with the new power plant. Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: Have spark but injectors won't spray. vats?