Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help/advise swapping LS1 into '61 Biscayne

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help/advise swapping LS1 into '61 Biscayne

Hi all- I'm fairly new to the site, have been reading/researching for the past several months and have found a ton of good info on this site, but have a few gaps I need filled in. Here's what I have so far:

1961 Chevy Biscayne 2 door
1999 Trans Am donor car w/ LS1 & 6 speed (which I am parting out to make room for the actual project car)
motor mount kit from BRP

My plan is to get the engine swap done, then drive the car for a while to get any bugs worked out, then pull it all apart and do the body work, motor mods, etc.

Questions I have so far:

Has anyone modified the stock fuel tank to use the in tank fuel pump? Is it required to add baffles?

Is there a low cost exhaust option. (I'm not opposed to buying the BRP headers eventually, I just want to get it on the road for now.)

Will I need to get HPTuners or EFIlive to program comp since I will be eliminating some of the emissions equip, VATS key, etc.

Is it cost prohibitive to scrap the 2-piece driveshaft for a one piece, or what is the preferred method? (I'm assuming that the length and splines need to be modified either way.)

Has anyone used the F-body brakes on a 58-64 B-body? Since I have them, I thought it might save some $

I'll probably have more questions later, this is just the beginning. I'm beginning to wonder if I jumped the gun buying the donor car this early in the process, but it seemed like a good deal at the time.

Any help is appreciated, and if some of this info is on existing threads, I apologize, please link the thread.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also new to the LS1 engines but I've learned a lot from this forum and from swapping a 99 LS1 and 6 spd into my 66 Rambler American.
-Be glad you have a complete parts car. I parted out a wrecked 99 SS. Strip everything off before you scrap it. I've used lots of parts such as radiator, fans, fuel system, gas pedal, clutch mastercyl, brake pedal switches, and more. The wiring has been modified to work including the engine harness, underhood relay harness(moved with computer to under dash-stock harness was long enough!), and even the harness to the fuel tank.
-Your stock fuel tank may be deep enough to use the stock pump setup. Pull your 99 pump. It has a sump well around it and no other baffles in the tank. I used the 99 tank mounted in the trunk just like a fuel cell.
-You're going to need a custom exhaust fabbed anyway so use the stock downpipes from the manifolds and have the muffler shop continue from there. You may have to relocate one 02 bung and you can eliminate the rear 02's.
-The computer will need some reprogramming but there are shops that can do that for you. May be cheaper and easier than buying and learning software.
-You are most likely going to need a driveshaft made so if there is room in your x-frame why not one piece it?
-Check forum and vendors for brake info. You can also sell the 99 brakes and put the money towards a vehicle specific kit.
Learn to search the forums. Lots of info there. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here ia s link to a '60 Biscayne project at Street and Performance. Might be helpful to you

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/60biscayne.pdf

That project was done a while ago, so more and different conversion parts may be available now.

Tanksinc.com offers a tank for your car and they also have a very slick in tank fuel pump kit. You might call and ask if their pump is a direct bolt in to their replacement tank. Their prices are reasonable.

Pat

Last edited by Stu Cool; 01-25-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:53 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the info guys. Keep it coming please.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:11 PM

Default gas pedal?

hello im very new to this site..but to get to the good news i am wondering about a project i have its a 63 impala that i put an lt1 in and it is in and running but need advice on the gas pedal situation , since the 63 has the lever and the lt came out of a 94 impala . so what should i do to make it work take out the gas pedal and cable from the 94?.. if so how do i install that in the 63?..thanks

Quick Reply: Need help/advise swapping LS1 into '61 Biscayne