Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

differences in actual block size between LS1, LS2, and the rest of them...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default differences in actual block size between LS1, LS2, and the rest of them...

I have looked for the past two hours..If I missed a post that covers this...can someone please direct me to it?

I have yet to find a post that explains the differences in engines from LS1 thru LS7, etc. Not only would I like to know the differences in the motors, but also if the blocks are physically bigger ( mounting troubles). I am not interested in any information about the cars that they come in. ( I found one post that I thought would be the one.... it started out good, but then got into the differences in the actual years of the car...and I only am searching for motor data).

I am looking to put a LS series motor into a Porsche 944. I know they have been done before, and there are a couple of shops that make the kits to bolt them into the car. I would like to do most of the fab work myself...and not pay the big bucks they charge for the parts. What I am not familiar with is the LS series of motors. I have learned that the LS-1 is a 5.7L and the -2 is a 6.0 L motor. Are the block castings the same on both motors? ( IE, bellhousing bolt holes). Is there any external size difference between the two? What are the LS-6 and -7 motors? How do they differ? Obviously, different car will have the accessories mounted to the motor differently...

Once again, this maybe a newbee question.... and I have searched for two hours... I have tried to find the info on my own..first...but have failed. Again, if I missed a post somewhere, I am sorry. Thanks in advance

Brad
Old 03-03-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Resident

externaly they are basically the same, same mounts, same bellhousing and such. there are little differances like the ls1/6 (ls6 is just a better head/intake/cammed ls1) has two knock sensors in the lifter valley and the cam sensor in the back of intake. the ls2 has knock sensor in the side and cam sensor in the front. and they changed the reluctor wheel on the crank so you have to have the corisponding harness and pcm. as far as accessories they interchange for the most part. the truck stuff wont work with car intake because of the waterpump outlet. but you can change the hole acc drive and then put a car intake on. the 4.8,5.3,6.0 blocks are same external deminsions and interchangable parts wise as well. only thing you run into is two bolt holes missing and only a place to drill/tap one of them. but it works out fine. the ls7 is a 7.0L and has a differant style head/intake. but still externally the same as far as size.

im sure someone has more/better info but thats a start and answer the main question
Old 03-03-2009, 11:43 PM
Teching In

The physical size of the block is the same from the LS1-7, LQ4 and 9, LM7 etc. There were some internal changes from the LS1/6 to the LS2/3/7 but the external dimensions are the same.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:48 PM

Outstanding...thank you very much!!! That is what I needed to know...
Old 03-04-2009, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

i have a question relating

what different wiring harnesses do you need with the motors like lq4/9 and the lm7. i know its a different harness for ls1 and ls2
Old 03-04-2009, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by brandon2000z
i have a question relating

what different wiring harnesses do you need with the motors like lq4/9 and the lm7. i know its a different harness for ls1 and ls2
I am not sure on the stock harnesses....but since I am not putting this motor in a Gm or American car... I will be going with this company...

http://howellefi.com/customer/home.php?cat=259

I have used Howell before on my LT-1 powered Jeep rockcrawler.. I love their product... Hooked up five or so wires..and never have had a problem since...
Old 03-04-2009, 01:05 AM
TECH Resident

its basically weather or not you have a gen III or gen IV. the lm7 went to a gen IV reluctor/pcm like a ls2. and the lq4/9 can be run off ls1 gen III pcm stuff

Quick Reply: differences in actual block size between LS1, LS2, and the rest of them...