Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Procedure for LS1 tuning with performance upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Procedure for LS1 tuning with performance upgrades

I have recently finished my '72 Chevelle 'vert LS1 conversion and would like to make sure that I am getting the maximum performance out of the engine configuration. I have a stock '00 motor with Edelbrock headers and exhaust and K&N air filter installed, Howell harness and reprogrammed computer, and an 4L60E. What is the best way to do that? Does that require a tuning shop with a dyno, or can it be accomplished another way? If the shop is the only way, I am located in San Diego if anybody has any references. TIA.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:59 AM
Teching In

theres a few ways to do it. you can send your computer away in the mail (mail order tune) or take it to a performance shop. I'm sure you can ask around different places where you live or maybe ask about a shop to go to in the regional threads at the bottom of the main ls1tech forum page.. somebody should know a reputable shop in the your area. some shops tune the car on the dyno and some do it on the street, and some do both, and they can tune it for your preference (gas mileage, performance or a mix of both)

edit: must be a nice looking swap.. I'm doing a ls1/6-speed swap into a 79 camaro
Old 07-23-2009, 01:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To get it right, a Dyno Tune would be the best..

But if your goad is to get it up and running. Then yes a Mail order tune will be ok. I am still running on mine from Wait4meperformance... But I know there is a lot more that can be found and I know that it is crapping out on the top end at WOT around 5800-6000..

Once you get it running, if you have a scanner, capture the O2 sensors reading on a WOT run (1/4 mile) and then send the PCM and reading to the Mail Tuner. That will help him adjust the Fuel Tables.

What area are you in, someone might suggest a good tuner..
Old 07-24-2009, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

It is up and running and running very well I might add. I don't have any issues that I know of I just want to make sure that I am getting the best out of the package. I am in San Diego and a buddy of mine gave me a name of a place that specializes in Corvettes but will work on all LSX motors- www.excelsiormotorsports.com. Has anybody had any experience with them?

Last edited by clm69z28; 07-24-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

Bump!

Quick Reply: Procedure for LS1 tuning with performance upgrades