Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Swap question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Swap question

Sorry if this has been posted before, or if there's a sticky somewhere ( looked I must be blind if there is ).

What's the average cost of an LS1 swap on something like a 98 V6 firebird ASSUMING I get the motor for oh say... $700. (cost of installation/modding etc) What else needs to be changed out? Trans, Exhaust etc...?

Sorry for the very vauge question...but in a few months, and when I get the money, I want to LS1 swap the bird I just bought. (I had every intention of swaping it when I bought it, just never looked into it.)

Oh, also if there's a site/post where it explains it, let me know.

Last edited by wombattx; 08-21-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know the condition of your current v6 car but it would be much easier and cheaper to sell it and buy one with an ls1 already installed. From the top of my head you would need: computer, wiring harness, accessory brackets, manifolds, trans, torque converter, flywheel, I think drive shaft (check on that one idk), maf, throttle body, injectors, airlid, coils, plugs, wires, tune, etc... As you can see the list keeps going on and on. Trust me, unless the car is a total beater it's just easier to buy a 98+fbody w/ an ls1 from the factory. I see good, clean fbodys with under 100k miles for under $9k. Heck right now I'm selling my very clean 99 pewter Z28 with a bunch of suspension and appearence accessories for $8,300. And it has 95k miles on the clock.

Last edited by Hamrdown; 08-21-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Personally its not worth it. Especially since ls1's are pretty cheap and easy to come by. Swap cars are more likely to have problems.

I would guess, doing everything... motor, tranny, harness, brakes/rotors, suspension, gauge cluster, all the little parts and misc things. probably 3-4k. if you did it yourself. But i would change all the seals/gaskets, fluids... etc.

Good read...

LS1 Swap
http://www.lvcfo.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1711

Last edited by xxrillixx; 08-21-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I was afraid it was going to be that bad. That helps. Thanks!
Old 08-22-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry, hope it wasnt too discouraging... but Id rather know what im getting myelf into.

If you were going to make a track car, or completely redo it... your car would be a perfect roller for that. But just wanting to do a basic swap is alot of work and money to just have a stock v8. Your likely to have more money in it then you could ever sell it for. And for some people thats ok, they just want the experience from it. But from a financial perspective, its not worth it. Usually your better off selling what you got and buying the car you want.

Quick Reply: LS1 Swap question