Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake switch wiring...ok to leave alone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default brake switch wiring...ok to leave alone?

My Painless LS1 wiring harness says this about the brake switch wiring:

"If you ARE going to use a 4L60E transmission, tape off and store the skip shift light wire, skip shift solenoid and reverse lockout solenoid connectors. You must use the vehicle speed sensor (VSS), correct brake switch and a gear indicator switch. These are necessary to make the transmission work correctly. The brake switch should be closed (electrically connected) when the brakes ARE NOT being applied and open (not electrically connected) when the brakes ARE being applied. This is the opposite of a standard brake light switch. If you are using a pressure brake switch, a SPDT relay must be installed to unlock the converter when the brakes are applied."

MY stock brake switch (93 Camaro) is open normally, NOT closed when the brakes are not being applied. My transmission, however, is not a 4L60e, it's a TH400. If I leave the brake switch wire from the Painless harness disconnected, is that acceptable? I have no idea what this will do to the engine (i don't know if part of the pcm adjusts engine speed according to whether or not the brake is applied or something).

Thanks again for any help/advice guys. How many beers do I owe everyone again?
Old 08-24-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

If you're not using a transmission with a lock up torque converter, then you don't need to hook that type of brake switch.

The only thing you might need is a speed sensor. Some people don't run one, but others have said it will cause stalling when coming to a fast stop if you don't have one.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
If you're not using a transmission with a lock up torque converter, then you don't need to hook that type of brake switch.

The only thing you might need is a speed sensor. Some people don't run one, but others have said it will cause stalling when coming to a fast stop if you don't have one.
Thought so. Thanks man. I have the VSS conversion kit (pigtail harness PN 12085498 , rotator wheel PN 8655315, and sensor PN 24232618 ), so I'm good there. My torque converter is a small block chevy tc, so I'm pretty sure it's not a lockup type.

The VSS speed sensor is also beneficial for me because I'm using an aftermarket electric speedometer (Classic Instruments).

Quick Reply: brake switch wiring...ok to leave alone?