Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 LT1/700R4 into 66 Tempest wagon?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 96 LT1/700R4 into 66 Tempest wagon?

I'm contemplating the swap into a 66 Tempest station wagon like this...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...do-i-need.html

Can you post a pict of the "flipped" motor mount and do you think the 700 was any closer than the factory T350 trans in the tunnel? What did you set the driveline angle at?

I have a 93 Camaro Z28 for parts, including the whole ECM/wiring harness, Anyone ever convert these speed density harnesses for generic use? However the PO told me the car ran an Opti replacement DIS, the one that uses Northstar coil packs. I should expect that harness to be hacked up, right?

What about gas tanks? I know for the a-bod non station wagon, the late B-body tank works. I have been contemplating putting in the 93 Camaro sender and pump in the top of the tank and leaving the factory sender where it is. Tank is brand new and I'm decent with a MIG so I could probably cut that part out of the 93 and weld it into the 66 tank.

I would do the 5.3 swap but I have all this LT1 stuff that I can't seem to give away and as much as I want to put a Pontiac 350 or 5.3/4.8 in it with a 700/200, doesn't look like it will happen.

Why is it that the common aftermarket A/C systems will not work with the factory A/C compressors?

This all needs to be done on the cheapest budget possible for me and if anything, 5.3 completes seem to have gone UP in price over the last year :-( .
I just want something with factory-style reliability so I spend more time having fun and less time fixing stuff.

I've also been looking at dumping the Opti and tacking in a distributor washer while using a 87-93 truck dizzy with a 90-92 Camaro ECM and a older but never used SLP Camaro L98 harness, like what the guy at the site lt1intake.com used to do... Thoughts?

Since my engine is out of a 96 LC1 Caprice, the FEAD is different. I don't mind notching the frame for the A/C as the car is really not worth much, compared to your usual A or F Body. I like the A/C compressor down there out of the way anyways.

Any incompatibilities between the 93 ECM and the 96 Impala motor of note?

I have headers and a y-pipe for a 93 Camaro as well... usable? No smog tests here so I could chop the Y-pipe into a dual ex hookup, I'm sure.

Requirements are cheap, cheap, and reliable. I know it should be reasonably quick long as the intake and exhaust are free.
It's gonna end up like the DIY Resto Rides ElCamino, more or less without the gaudy interior. The car has 44,000 original miles and the seats, door panels, dash and rubber mat are in perfect shape. Externally it's a mess, but I can handle that.
Thanks for any guidance you can provide that does NOT involve putting a 4.8/5.3 in it, unless you are in FL and want to trade ;-)