Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Important Fuel question!! Help plz!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Important Fuel question!! Help plz!!

I have a just put a 382 stroker engine in my 91 camaro and I am unsure if the fuel pressure is significant for the new hungrier and angrier engine! I have a 255 walboro already installed in the tank and I have a non adjustable corvette fuel regulator installed as well. I did have a stock ls6 engine in the car prior to this install and the regulator was sufficient for that engine. Low down on the new engine goes as follows - ls6 382 stroker (all forged), lanati crank, comp cam 236 duration with a .525 lift (112 LSA), ported ls6 heads and ls6 intake AND 39lb injectors. I did measure the fuel pressure at the fuel rail and it was 50lbs at the rail. Will this be enough for this new engine or will I have to look at buying a new manual adjustable regulator. All comments welcome
Thanks
Old 11-13-2009, 02:42 AM
12 Second Club

i thought base pressure was supposed to be around 58psi.what size line do you have?
Old 11-13-2009, 07:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default fuel pressure

if i remember correctly,for lsx engines, you need 54 psiat idle and 58psi WOT. 50 psi seems to be a lil short.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes.. you can get away with 54 psi at idle.. but at WOT you better make sure your up to the +58ps. else you could get a lean condition.

What you many also want to check into is the duty cycle rate for your engine Injectors.

Suggest you research into the Fuel Injector Duty cycle and see what size injector are recommened and follow up with a good tune. Check on the Accel site or other that market performance Injectors.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:16 AM
Staging Lane

Default fuel

when you checked the pressure at the rail did you diconnect the vac line? May explain your 50 psi.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

LSx engine have a constant pressure no matter engine speed/vacuum unless they have an engine bay aftermarket AFPR

The 'vette filter/regulator is hardmounted inline and has no vacuum provision

How old is the filter? How long did it sit while you did the conversion?
Old 11-15-2009, 09:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jomomma
i thought base pressure was supposed to be around 58psi.what size line do you have?
I have a standard 3/8" fuel line running from my regulator directly into the fuel rail. That section of hose is about a foot and a half long.

Yes.. you can get away with 54 psi at idle.. but at WOT you better make sure your up to the +58ps. else you could get a lean condition.

What you many also want to check into is the duty cycle rate for your engine Injectors.

Suggest you research into the Fuel Injector Duty cycle and see what size injector are recommened and follow up with a good tune. Check on the Accel site or other that market performance Injectors.
That is good to know, thanks bczee. The injectors were on the engine when I bought it. He was running ?racetronic fuel? through it when he was driving but he never checked his fuel pressure at the rail so it didn't give me a guideline to follow. I am taking my car to a dyno/tune before I let my foot to the talking with this ride.

LSx engine have a constant pressure no matter engine speed/vacuum unless they have an engine bay aftermarket AFPR

The 'vette filter/regulator is hardmounted inline and has no vacuum provision

How old is the filter? How long did it sit while you did the conversion?
There are no vacuum lines on this regulator, strictly one line in and return and one line out. The regulator is about 3 years old and it has sat through 3 conversions actually..right now I am trying to get rid of the old gas that has been sitting in the tank for months. I have been considering putting in a manual adjust regulator in for awhile now and now I think I might have to anyway.
Is there any brands or types that I should consider more than others? Just a two line in one line out regulator..also, since I just have devised my own fuel line setup from the regulator to the fuel rail, I am using typical hose clamps to keep the hose tight on the rail. This has always been somewhat of a red flag in my mind as I have seen these clamps fail from time to time and if one fails while I'm driving...well, we won't go there. Is there anyway to match the 'stock clip in' setup that comes from factory gm at the fuel rail? Just a peace of mind question really..
Thanks guys for the help btw

Quick Reply: Important Fuel question!! Help plz!!