Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help passing emissons

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help passing emissons

hey guys i think this is the best place to ask i am picking up a 240sx that has a motor out of a 2000 camaro in it with zo6 intake and throttle body but my questions is he had removed the cats on the car and if i put some new ones on will i have any other problems passing do people normally disconnect sensor or any thing like that? live in GA if it makes any difference
Old 12-02-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What state are you in.. are you interested in just getting to pass or to be technically and legally to be able to pass ?

General rule of the law states you have to use all of the OEM for the year of the donner engine and PCM (and VIN) to match the engines year. (yes there is ways around this), same or new year engine only for the swap. You would need to use all of the Smog equipement from the Cats, EGR, AIR, Sensors, 02 sensors, etc). Your car/truck basically become and is tested as the newer car/truck that the engine came from.

Suggest you go to your states DMV web site and look for there links on Engine Swap/Conversion.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:23 PM

dont care to be proper just want to pass so i can drive the car. Am not sure if the guy who built it used all those sensors do most people who swap ls1s do that i live in GA and have never done emissions before had a 63 impala so i have no idea what to do like i said right now it has no cats but plan to fix that and as for the sensors not sure i hope he did. by the way am in Forsyth county GA and i did not see anything about engine conversions
Old 12-03-2009, 04:43 PM
FormerVendor

IN GA if you don’t have to pass via the sniffer test I think 1996 or newer. But as of 2009 you have to have the cats visually inspected… On my 99 LS2 Z I have a chambered muffler with a CAT heat shield welded to it…. Passed fine but the guy was about to die from fumes lol.

Also they look for check engine lights and scan the comp for codes.

The older ones back 96 sniffer test and you going to have to run cats. I’m in Forsyth as well I know some country have not emissions laws like Dawsonville. Its based of the population in the country

Quick Reply: Need help passing emissons