Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust

Now I know this topic has been disscused. Anyways I recently put an '02 LS1 in my '65 impala. Now I have the original dual exhaust that I had with my SBC hooked up to the LS1. When I say duel I mean duel no h or y or x pipes. Its 2.5 inch all the way back with I think 30 or 40 series flowmaster mufflers. Do I need to change to an X or H pipe? Do I need to change mufflers? Im an old school muscle guy so not really sure about these new engines and what they like or run better with or without. Thanks
Old 03-12-2010, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most guys arent fans of flowmasters on LS1s but that could be in the stock set up with a y and 80 series. I hear the single chambers sound good but its all in preference. The X or H just equalizes the bank pressure helps with scavenging and sound. Your prob fine with what you have. Its just details really. No doubt you have the room to work with so you arent limited with setups. A buddies 65 chevelle has the exhaust run like you described and I like the sound.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Ya the setup is from my old engine and it sounds good. A little quiet at idle but when I get on it, it sounds awesome.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its prob more than adequate. The biggest difference would be adding in an H or X. Your not going to gain alot by going to 3" I think 2.5 can support 500hp. Like I said mufflers are preference. You can split hairs all day but if it sounds good and you like it thats all that matters. The biggest thing for me is stainless steel...I prefer it and well its pretty.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Teching In

well i found an add for a loud mouth 2 exhaust for sale for 250 dollars or i can get a flowmaster with a bent over axle bar for 60

which do i get ^^^^
Old 03-14-2010, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

an x or h pipe smooths out some of the gurgles and boat sounds that you might get without them. in the corvette world some people don't like loosing that sound when they go from the very small stock H pipe (dime size hole) to a real x

Quick Reply: Exhaust