Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 Camaro Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 03:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1969 Camaro Wiring

I'm putting an 1999 LS1 in to my 1969 Camaro with a 4L60E. I have the engine wiring figured out, using a repinned 1999 F-Body engine harness. I'm just stuck on how to tie the 1999 engine harness into the 1969 wiring harness. I'm not a wiring genius. For the guys that have done this. I have looked at wiring diagrams for the 1969 Camaro. I know that the alternator(generator) in 69 was externally regulated and in 99 it was internal. So I can get rid on the voltage regulator totally as well as the alternator wiring. The coil wiring I won't need either as I am running fuel injection. Also the purple wire that goes from the ignition switch to the starter, I will just run that as normal. For the red wire that used to got to the junction block on the passenger side of the car, this is the wire that brings power into the car. Can I just put it back to the junction block, which connects to the battery positive, or connect it right to the battery positive, or can I use the positive from the battery cable that would have went to the 1999 F-Body under hood fuse block junction. Just need some direction.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just completed a similar wiring job. Use all 99 wiring for engine control, fans, fuel pump, charging, starting, etc. (The underhood fuse/relay blocks have everything you need) Use the 69 ignition switch to provide "ign on" and "start" power to the 99 relay blocks. Also leave the 69 ign switch powering the 69 body harness (original 69 wiring). Grab constant batt power for the 69 anywhere. (the 99 has a fusible link feeding interior fuse panel-good feed for 69) Have schematics of both cars in front of you, keep lots of notes, and tag all wires. I'm not an expert but pm me with specific questions and I'll try to help.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

hey am doin the same swap into a 69 camaro but with a 2000 ls1 camaro ss motor. so did u cut ur wire harness are have it worked on? i was goin to let someone do the wire harness for me.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did it myself with info from this forum but it was a lot of work. I'm an electrician and can understand relays and read schematics but it still took a long time. Unless you have some understanding of wiring and have a lot of time, look into having a reputable company do your harness.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:17 AM
Staging Lane

I am rapily approaching this point in my build ('69 Camaro/LS1/T56), and am using a 2001 underhood harness to get some of the stuff powered (fans, horns, and hopefully all the lights). I am no electrician but have almost infinite patience. I have a complete 2001 wiring diagram, just need to find my '69 wiring diagram.

Quick Reply: 1969 Camaro Wiring