Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Guy, Henry J LS1 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy, Henry J LS1 Questions

Hi, this is my first time to post a "Thread", well actually the second. I was informed that I posted this in the wrong area! Oh well thats why we are here I suppose, to get help.
I have a 1951 Henry J and I'm ready to install a 2001 LS1/4L60, The donor power plant and the entire harness/computer & fuel pump came with the purchase of the LS1. I have a couple of questions that I need some help on.
Is there a vendor that can supply me with a "Complete" wire harness (mininum 12 circuit) for my car that will incorporate the LS1 engine harness, and make the necessary changes to the computer, i.e. VAT and RPM. I would very much like to have one company, one harness?
What are some of the things that I should change on the LS1 to obtain more reliable horsepower? Finally, what are some of the "Negatives" that should be addressed before I install the engine. Any help would be appreciated. I was directed to Speartech as one source.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

When I started my research for my conversion I am working on, I was refered to Jeg's for the retro wiring harness from Painless Wiring... I think its $499 and only requires that you add your powers, ground, and your basic ignition connections. I do however recall seeing that it was meant for 97-98... but I could be wrong. Good luck with your conversion...

TTYL!
Old 01-12-2004, 12:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you could also send in the old harness to Speartech(sponsor----------------->)
and they could rework it for $450. plus he will answer any install questions for you, plus edit the computer for a price.
he can also delete all the emissions wiring that you wont be needing.

01+ have the updated oil pump and rod bolts, common problems on pre-01
01+ have the ls6 intake, which you wont have to plug the egr inlet.
the pcv system sucks from the valve cover, which sucks oil, but you can convert this to the ls6 pcv system or just add a catch can.

as for the vats, you can get a module to supply the pcm with the 50hz signal they are 30-50 dollars on ebay. or you could make one but its not worth it.
or....you can go all out and get ls1edit and delete vats(plus all the emissions,rear o2's,and tune anything).

you can get an autometer tach to see rpm, just cut the 6 and 8 cyl wire to make it see 4cyl.

or...........just drag it to phoenix and ill do all the work for a fee.

Last edited by Gen3Benz; 01-12-2004 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gen3Benz
you could also send in the old harness to Speartech(sponsor----------------->)
and they could rework it for $450. plus he will answer any install questions for you, plus edit the computer for a price.
he can also delete all the emissions wiring that you wont be needing.

01+ have the updated oil pump and rod bolts, common problems on pre-01
01+ have the ls6 intake, which you wont have to plug the egr inlet.
the pcv system sucks from the valve cover, which sucks oil, but you can convert this to the ls6 pcv system or just add a catch can.

as for the vats, you can get a module to supply the pcm with the 50hz signal they are 30-50 dollars on ebay. or you could make one but its not worth it.
or....you can go all out and get ls1edit and delete vats(plus all the emissions,rear o2's,and tune anything).

you can get an autometer tach to see rpm, just cut the 6 and 8 cyl wire to make it see 4cyl.

or...........just drag it to phoenix and ill do all the work for a fee.

If you go with Speartech to modify the PCM, he can also eliminate the VATS for you.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:57 PM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome aboard! Sounds like a cool project! I had my harness completed by Speartech and couldn't be happier. Give him a call or e-mail him!
Old 01-12-2004, 01:20 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

To me, Speartech is your best bet, he can work with you on your need and and come up with a solution that best fits your setup. When it comes to something like this, I would not touch a cookie cutter harness.

You might want to figure out where you will mount it since that might impact the length of the wires.

Quick Reply: New Guy, Henry J LS1 Questions