Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1973 RS Camaro LSX Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GC99TA
Anyone care to guess what went down yesterday?

Ummm, I'm guessing that someone's trailer brakes locked up on a horse trailer?

J/K nice burnout...
Old 09-13-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by randy129
Ummm, I'm guessing that someone's trailer brakes locked up on a horse trailer?

J/K nice burnout...
LOL.......yeah, I suppose that's always a plausible reason for blackmarks on the back roads out here....but not this time. That was actually a well-earned burn out. These Quick Time Pro 28 x 11.50's on still hot AZ roads really want to hook hard. Not to mention the fact that with the suspension topped out, all the weight is already transferred back there! But, she'll still git er done fairly easy.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I’ve still been fiddling around with the car a little bit here and there as I have time. The other day I riveted in my outer window sweeps and installed the door glass, but I didn’t take any pictures of that since it’s just door glass.

Next I moved on to mounting my hood pins. There are some existing empty ½ inch holes in the core support that I’ve seen some guys use to mount their hood pins through, but they would put the hood pins off center in the body line “valleys” on the hood, and would also place the pin scuff plates at the very front edge of the hood. I don’t care for that look, so I needed to find a way to set the hood pins further back and centered. On most 70-81 F-bodies, there is a short fender brace that runs from the core support to the fender. And since these fender braces dissect the exact area that the hood pins need to be, I’ve seen some guys mount their pins right in the brace bars. But 73 RS Camaros got a much longer, one year only fender brace that has completely different mounting points (further inward on the core support and further back on the fender) that don’t intersect this area. So that left me some open space and the threaded holes on the core support where the standard fender braces would have bolted to work with.

So, I made a pattern out of cardboard for a bracket that I could bolt to the core support and give me an extended platform for the hood pins to bolt through. Once I was happy with the pattern, I took it to a local guy I know that has a CNC plasma table and had them cut them out of .090 aluminum for me.

Name:  IMG_8351.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  153.6 KB

Next I drilled the required holes, and test fit them with the pins installed. One thing I did wrong was make the assumption that the holes I was using had the same spacing on the passenger side as on the drivers side where I took my pattern measurements. Unfortunately, this wasn’t the case, so I had to egg shape the holes on the passenger side bracket. It turns out to be no big deal because the bolt heads cover up the entire hole when installed.

Name:  IMG_8354.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  153.0 KB

Name:  IMG_8352.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  98.8 KB

This shot shows the two holes I’m bolting my plates into. The inner hole already has a 5/16 nut welded on the under side from the factory. The unthreaded ½ inch hole will require a nut and washer on the underside of its bolt, and will also give me a little adjustability. This is actually the spot where I originally had my radiator overflow tank mounted, so you can see in this pic that I’ve relocated it to the fender.

Name:  IMG_8355.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  80.3 KB

Here’s a few shots with the brackets and pins installed after some paint.

Name:  IMG_8358.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  86.1 KB

Name:  IMG_8359.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  37.6 KB

Name:  IMG_8362.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  125.7 KB

And here it is with the hood closed.

Name:  IMG_8356.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  21.7 KB

Name:  IMG_8357.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  77.1 KB
Old 09-16-2011, 06:43 PM
11 Second Club

cool!!! you are the man that work is awesome!!! congratas on gettin it on the road
Old 09-16-2011, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

Wow, Fantastic build!
Old 09-16-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2004yjgto
cool!!! you are the man that work is awesome!!! congratas on gettin it on the road
Originally Posted by ryanzcastro
Wow, Fantastic build!
Thanks guys! She's coming along.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great job on the brackets and hood pins! Way to think ahead and get everything centered and proffesional looking! Your there man your there!!! I know you have to be chomping at the bit to take it to the track. I know I would! Awesome job on everything.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Great job on the brackets and hood pins! Way to think ahead and get everything centered and proffesional looking! Your there man your there!!! I know you have to be chomping at the bit to take it to the track. I know I would! Awesome job on everything.
Thanks dude! He cut those brackets out for a 12 pack of Bud Light, so you can't beat that I guess! I have the desire to be able to do that kind of work for myself......I just don't have the equipment.

I'm definately anxious to get it to the track, but I'll have to (or at least I should) wait until at least October to be able to do a few of the more strenuous jobs that need done before the first trip to the track.

I still haven't made up my mind if I should swap the cam before my first track outing or if I should do a before and after cam comparison with two different trips. Before and after would be cool, but I'd really like to sell my current cam to fund a few other things before my first visit to the track, so I guess I'll have to see how that plays out.

One of the main things I still need to do is take the car back to the chassis shop to have the harness tabs relocated further inboard and that means a 6hr round trip on the trailer. So I pretty much refuse to do that before I can afford to also have the chassis NHRA certified while I'm up there. Killing two birds with one stone will make me feel better about making the trip with the car again, and my chassis guy has an NHRA chassis cert tech that will come out to his shop for the regular NHRA cert fee of $150 plus $30 for the "house call".

In reality, the car is nowhere near fast enough to need the chassis cert'd, but since I'm moving from AZ next year, I want to have it cert'd while I'm still here. My chassis guy guarenteed it to certify to 8.50 (just the chassis), but his guarentee isn't worth much to me if I'm on the east coast if it fails to pass. So getting it done right in his shop is a big plus. Also, having it certified should increase the value of the car if, God forbid, I ever have to sell the car. Of course I'll have to keep the certification updated, but I think the first one is probably the biggest hurdle.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:34 AM
Staging Lane

3 and 1/2 hours later.... my eyes hurt but I couldnt stop reading your build thread!!! The car looks amazing compaired to what you started with! Im really wanting to get started with more work on my 70 but without the space or money to do it Ill have to keep dreaming and reading great build threads like yours!

Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing more updates!
Old 09-17-2011, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dracer35
3 and 1/2 hours later.... my eyes hurt but I couldnt stop reading your build thread!!! The car looks amazing compaired to what you started with! Im really wanting to get started with more work on my 70 but without the space or money to do it Ill have to keep dreaming and reading great build threads like yours!

Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing more updates!
Thanks for checking out the whole thing man! I know it's getting to be quite a long read by now. The best advice I can give you is to take your time with your 70 and make it what you want it to be, no matter how long it takes to save up and do it right. You'll be much happier with it in the end.

I got a little more done today so I should have some more updates soon!
Old 09-19-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

So, I’ve been scratching things off of my list here and there over the past couple of days. This isn’t necessarily in the order things happened, but here’s what I’ve gotten done, along with some pics.

First I’ve cut one coil from each of my Moroso Trick Springs, which gave me about a 2 1/8 inch drop. It could maybe stand to be a touch lower, but I’m not going any lower until I swap out my LH8 pan for an F-body pan for ground clearance reasons. It’s great now because I have 4.5 inches of upward travel and still could remove the upper bump stops if I needed more. While I was at it, I also installed my new CE adjustable front shocks, loosened up and double nutted my lower control arms, and bled my front brakes.
When I was done with all of that, I installed my Caltrac bars and went out to make a few hits. Man does this thing hook up nice on the street!

Here’s the cut coils.

Name:  IMG_8372.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  77.7 KB

Out with the old Red Riders and in with the CE’s.

Name:  IMG_8371.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  78.4 KB

And here’s my new ride height.

Name:  IMG_8373.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  180.9 KB

Name:  IMG_8379.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  109.7 KB

Name:  IMG_8376.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  169.3 KB
Old 09-19-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

The other day I also installed my roof rail/window weather stripping and adjusted the door glass to fit in the window hole properly. In the process of this, I replaced the worn out old felt on my window guides. To do this, I simply raided my wife’s craft supplies for some self adhesive Velcro. I just used the fuzzy side as a replacement felt. It worked very well and the windows don’t howl anymore when they go up and down.

Name:  IMG_8369.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  140.8 KB

Name:  IMG_8370.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  147.0 KB

I have also gotten back to working on some interior stuff. Saturday morning I brought my door panels in the house and started disassembling them so they can be cleaned, dyed black, and have new inner window sweeps attached. The old sweeps were as hard as rocks and extremely brittle. It’s hard to believe they were actually rubber at one time. It’s no wonder my side glass is scratched up after being scraped by those things. Here’s some pics of one of the door panels in various states of disassembly.

Name:  IMG_8363.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  103.1 KB

Name:  IMG_8364.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  104.7 KB

Name:  IMG_8365.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  116.2 KB

Name:  IMG_8366.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  115.9 KB

And finally I started to modify my kick panels so that they can be installed with the cage in place. This meant having to chop the floor vent portion off of the passenger side one and just a little trimming on the back of the driver’s side panel since it’s blocked off on an AC car anyways. Both sides will have the vent holes in the car itself blocked off with sheet metal before the panels are reinstalled.

Name:  IMG_8367.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  91.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8368.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  79.2 KB

There’s lots of parts cleaning and dying in my future.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Bad back or not you are getting alot done!
Car stance looks so much better!
The beloved interior work, man I spent hours on mine and most of it was on my headliner. I did recover the back seat in the living room everything else was done away from civilization. Looking great keep us posted.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks man! Now its my "good" back that's my problem. Everything feels so great that I can't help but tackle some of these jobs. I just have to be real careful how I move when I'm on the floor and be sure to use only my arms when loosening or tightening bolts and such. Pulling on non-mobile objects from a poor body position is what got me into this mess in the first place.

I'm not a big fan of the interior work either, but its rewarding when its finished I guess. I was gonna work on my door panels today, but took the car for an alignment instead. Everything feels pretty good now but won't know for sure until I can open her up good at a track.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I’m getting a little bit closer to the car being race ready each day. But the next test and tune session at my local track isn’t until October 22nd . Yesterday I modified and installed my Pro-Touring F-Body (PTFB) driveshaft loop. I really liked this overall design idea of this thing because it’s designed to bolt into an existing location rather than bolting through the floor or welding to the frame or subframe connectors. There were a few mino things that I personally didn’t like for my application, but they were fixable with a little bit of modification.

So by design, this loop was meant to be sandwiched between the top of the transmission mount and the transmission itself. But doing this essentially shims the rear of the transmission up by an amount equivalent to the thickness of the mount plate (a touch over 1/4in with powder coat), and just wouldn’t work for my application. Plus, when I tried installing it in it's intended location, the loop hit the trans tunnel and would need to be bent downward to fit properly. Not a big deal...just a minor issue.

But I decided if I were going to have to bend it (and crack the powder coat) anyway, I may as well modify it completely to fix the trans shim issue as well. I personally thought it would be better suited bolted under the trans crossmember where it wouldn’t interfere with the transmission’s positioning, so I modified it to do just that.

Here is what I started with. The design is a pretty cool idea. But notice the wide bolt pattern that matches the bottom of the trans/top of the trans mount. This is the 1/4 inch piece that would be sandwiched between them.

Name:  IMG_8385.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  116.5 KB

The first modification I made was to trim the sides of the mounting tab so that it would fit on the bottom side of the trans crossmember mounting pad. I also drilled the mounting bolt holes 1 ½ on center to match the bolt pattern of the crossmember. I later oblonged these holes to give myself some front to rear adjustability.

Name:  IMG_8386.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  45.1 KB

Next, since I had lowered the loop’s mounting point a few inches from its originally intended location, I needed to put an upward dogleg bend in the extension piece to bring the hoop back to the proper height in the tunnel and to provide plenty of clearance above my x-pipe. This was pretty easily done with some heat, a vice and some persuasion, but I lost pretty much all of the powder coat on everything but the hoop itself.

Name:  IMG_8387.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  38.3 KB

Then I scuffed the remaining powder coat with some sand paper and hit it with some paint.

Name:  IMG_8389.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  101.5 KB

Name:  IMG_8390.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  104.6 KB

Here are some shots of it bolted in the car. This wasn’t the easiest thing to photograph, so you have to use your imagination a little bit. The first shot shows the loop’s clearance over my x-pipe.

Name:  IMG_8395.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  45.3 KB

And this shot is taken from the rear looking forward.

Name:  IMG_8399.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  63.4 KB

I know I also took a pic of where it bolts to the underside of the trans crossmember, but I must have accidentally deleted it.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

I like that loop better than my 4 piece Lakewood. Great job on the mods. You may have given me an idea for a future upgrade. I like the clean look of the one piece loop. Can't wait till this thing hits the track.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 594 Likes on 472 Posts

As always........ looks GREAT Gary. What gears did you end up going with?

thanks,,
Jim
Old 09-25-2011, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
As always........ looks GREAT Gary. What gears did you end up going with?

thanks,,
Jim

Thanks Jim. I'm running 4.11 gears (or 4.10; I always forget for some reason)
Old 10-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

The interior will be interesting to see how it turns out. It sucks that your local track doesnt have a test n tune session sooner. I think there are a few people including myself that would like to see how she runs! Keep us posted!
Old 10-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

NICE, looks great. Awesome job man.

Quick Reply: 1973 RS Camaro LSX Swap