Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shorting sump on my 5.3 pan..can it be done????

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shorting sump on my 5.3 pan..can it be done????

Just thinking.....could the sump on my 5.3 pan be cut for ground clearance on my g-body....
Old 08-17-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yes it can.. but you will need to modify the pickup also. oil will be down to about 5 qts or less depending on how much you cut. Its been done many times.. you might try just looking at the LH8 (Hummer) or the CTS-V pans
Old 08-17-2010, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Ya..i just was thinking if i could be done since i already have a 5.3 pan on my motor and it fits my g-body.The sump is just ot deep. I need it to be atlease even with the crossmember.Plus a frend of mine works at a alum fab shop..
Old 08-18-2010, 03:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did it on my rx7, I added a "kick out" on the passenger side to get more oil quantity, I cut around 2 inches off the bottom.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

I removed an inch, then shortened the pickup and dipstick accordingly. I still have 5 quart capacity. Saved a lot of money and no regrets.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

I shortened my truck pan so it was just a little taller than the filter and had the same oil capacity as an Fbody pan. I think that worked out to be a little more than an inch and a half.

The problem was that the cast pan is porous and the metal characteristics were not consistent all the way around. I put my pan through the dishwasher in the house a bunch of times and ground the metal back from the weld zone to try and minimize contamination.

I used a piece of 6061 aluminum plate for the bottom about .25" thick. I cut the oil drain bung out of the cast pan and welded it into the aluminum plate for a drain.

I didn't constrain the pan when I welded it and didn't have any problems with warping

The oil pickup is a bit of a PITA. I didn't like the approach of cutting a piece out of the tube to get the pickup in the rignt place, so I made a new pickup out of some tube and some washers and fitted a screen to it. You'll need to make sure it is clearanced properly to the bottom of the pan.

Looking back, if I could have bought a pan and pickup ready to use for less than a couple hundred bucks, I'd go that way.

Whatever approach you take, make damn sure the o-ring on the pickup tube is fresh and seated properly!

Quick Reply: shorting sump on my 5.3 pan..can it be done????