Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New CA smog law. Bad news!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 02:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevied916
you can use tuners to turn off check engine lights and codes but you cant make them pass readiness tests which is what they check for.
I think he's talking about replacing the entire ECU with an aftermarket one that can fake the tests.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gta3uzi
I think he's talking about replacing the entire ECU with an aftermarket one that can fake the tests.
No, he's talking about HP Tuners. And there is no way a aftermarket ECU like megasquirt would pass readiness tests.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was asking about reprogramming the stock ECU to output whatever you want it to output. There has to be a way to tell the stock ECU to pass all the tests no matter what. If HPTuners doesn't do it then they probably just don't want the problems it would bring. But if a user can overwrite code to change a fuel table or keep from throwing an error code when the rear O2's are deleted, then my guess is there is no technical reason why it can't overwrite readiness test results.

But now that you mention it megasquirt could probably do it. All one would have to do is hook up an OBDII port in the right place and output the expected bit sequence when requested. Most ECU's aren't visible. It would take a pretty dedicated tech to actually check for an aftermarket ECU. My guess is as long as his test box says things are good, then things are good.

Of course this is all just an academic discussion. I am in no way advocating breaking the law by disabling smog equipment. Gosh, that just wouldn't be right.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

there are lots of readiness tests that pass by default when you turn off the codes in a GM pcm.

Ryan
Old 08-23-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that sucks you guess have to pass emissons tests you guys should move to il a alot of countys out there you do not have to pass smog or if it is 96 or older no emissons either in all of ill
Old 08-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
It would take a pretty dedicated tech to actually check for an aftermarket ECU. My guess is as long as his test box says things are good, then things are good.

Just an FYI for everyone. I don't know if it's standard procedure or if I just got lucky, but the ref made me come back a second time because they couldnt read the part # on the computer in a swap I did 2 years ago. I had it mounted with the sticker facing up against the panel the ECU was mounted to. I passed everything else, but they failed me just for that. When I came back with the part # visible I had to run the entire test over again.

It was a toyota motor but I would think it would be the same.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Teching In

What if you have a cutout and you leave it capped for the inspection?
Old 08-26-2010, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by at1024
What if you have a cutout and you leave it capped for the inspection?
That won't fly if they look under the car.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

christ, you guys got it rough.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Irish350
christ, you guys got it rough.
The rest of the country seems to adopt our laws as models for their own. Whatever craphole ideas they come up with this year will be your guys' craphole laws eventually, too.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:55 AM
TECH Resident

Makes me like MO a little bit more. We don't have any smog and the only emissions are that are required is what came from the factory the year the car was built.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RossRinSD
The rest of the country seems to adopt our laws as models for their own. Whatever craphole ideas they come up with this year will be your guys' craphole laws eventually, too.
Haha, No... Not even close really.

We dont even have emissions testing where I live, visual only and that consists of checking all lights for proper function, and pulling two wheels off for brake inspection.

I personally would never live in cali, and if I did i wouldn't bitch on an internet forum about it, I would band together with SEMA and see if something could be done about it
Old 08-27-2010, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nysbadmk8

We dont even have emissions testing where I live, visual only and that consists of checking all lights for proper function, and pulling two wheels off for brake inspection.

I personally would never live in cali, and if I did i wouldn't bitch on an internet forum about it, I would band together with SEMA and see if something could be done about it
Good luck...there are way too many hippie tree huggers here. It only keeps getting stricter.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BlueMagicSS
I haven't heard of that law, nor did I see it in my BAR Newsletter that I just received in the mail. I'm not saying that it isn't true, but it doesn't say it in the Newsletter, I could've missed an ET Blast on the machine but I doubt it. Check with another station and see what they say
I just spoke to another test only station and he said the same thing. He claims the new law is only two weeks old. For 01 and newer your allowed 1 readiness monitor to be not set, and 96- 2000 are allowed to have two readines codes not set. This test only station claims many newish factory original cars are coming in and failing because of the new law.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I was asking about reprogramming the stock ECU to output whatever you want it to output. There has to be a way to tell the stock ECU to pass all the tests no matter what. .

"PCMs since 1996 have had these smog tests running, called I/M 240 ( Inspection/Maintance).
EPA finally said enough state(S) testing was done and mandated all states convert to these tests this year since it cannot be controled by who the test station is ( cheating).

Complete means PASS and incomplete means REJECT and new cars are only allowed 1 function to be in an incomplete state and older PCM models are allowed 2.

EPA tied I/M state to DTCs state, thus if you use a scanner and think you'll fool smog tests by deleting any error codes, the delete function is tied to all IM tests and by deleting DTCs forces ALL tests back to a incomplete state.
Some tests can take as many as 40 VALID drive cycles to get back to a complete state and thus you would not want to delete DTCs a few days before going in for smog testing.

Turning off these tests via ls1EDIT would prevent these tests from ever getting to a complete state, you coud turn off the DTC being flagged to PCM but I would not turn the tests off.

Always use the IM tests to see where the powertain is related to those tests ( If using Ease scanner just click on IM icon and it shows state of all IM functions and will be saved in reports)"

I found this here
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...-monitors.html
Old 08-27-2010, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hpbob1
This is tha main reason I just bought a pre 75 vehicle. I bought a 74 camaro and I am dropping my LQ4 into it with a turbo 400. It will be Street/strip car. It will also be fuel injected but with no cats or smog equipment etc.

I wasn't aware LQ4 was standard Equipment on a 74 Camaro. Its got to be original equipment for it to pass, other wise your in the same boat as everyone else. Cheers.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blackangel327
I wasn't aware LQ4 was standard Equipment on a 74 Camaro. Its got to be original equipment for it to pass, other wise your in the same boat as everyone else. Cheers.
In Cali,

legal or not, pre 75 aren't subject to the inspection and testing. You could however drop a new/different powertrain in an older vehicle and take the car to a state run referee. The ref will make sure everything is hooked up and that the car passes a tailpipe test and then, with the state's blessing, you'd be legal and registered.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nysbadmk8

Really? Where do you think all this crap started? Its been getting worse since the 70's as more and more states adopt CA and NY testing procedures. You may be okay now, but when your elected representatives get bored or aren't making enough money, they open CA's law books and copy, verbatim often, our laws and implement them. I didn't say it would happen overnight, I said eventually. And there is nothing to stop the federal government from devising a standardized test and subjecting all of us to it.

Nothing is guaranteed.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Born-again 7
I just spoke to another test only station and he said the same thing. He claims the new law is only two weeks old. For 01 and newer your allowed 1 readiness monitor to be not set, and 96- 2000 are allowed to have two readines codes not set. This test only station claims many newish factory original cars are coming in and failing because of the new law.
This has been in effect for a while, at least two years IIRC.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by joecar
This has been in effect for a while, at least two years IIRC.
Not according to the last two test only stations i spoke too. They claim last year, californians we allowed to up to have four readiness monitors not set and still pass smog.

Texas, and a few other states have been doing obd II testing for a while now. They have been requiring all but one readines monitors to be set for some time now. However these other states dont have to pass a visual inspection or have to pass the dyno/tail pipe test.

Quick Reply: New CA smog law. Bad news!