Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Carb Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 Carb Conversion

I am in the middle of building a new crate LS6 with the Edelbrock performer intake and 800CFM carb. I am trying to figure out if and how to connect the stock ports on the right and left valve covers. I understand that the front passenger side was originally connected to the air cleaner intake housing. Don't know about the rear. I have the Edelbrock replacement valley cover so there is no longer a port comming out of the front of it. Edelbrock told me to connect the front port on the passenger valve cover to the base of the carb with an inline PCV valve???. Don't know if I am using the right terms but any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by 1932ls6; 09-01-2010 at 04:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-01-2010, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Edelbrock told me to connect the front port on the passenger valve cover to the base of the carb with an inline PCV valve???.

You can do what Edelbrock says. I put a "T" fitting in my manifold, one side goes to my passenger valve cover and the other goes to my power booster for my brakes. The drivers side I put to the large port at the base of the carb. Seems to work for me.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:42 AM

Default LS^ Carb Conversion

Thank you for the reply, did you add an inline PCV???
Old 09-02-2010, 06:44 AM
Teching In

I just run some little filters on both my valve covers. You can see one in the pic. There just a couple dollars at the parts store.
Attached Thumbnails LS6 Carb Conversion-halmotor.jpg  
Old 09-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1932ls6
Thank you for the reply, did you add an inline PCV???
the drivers side has a pcv valve, the passenger side does not, though it probably should
Old 09-02-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The whole purpose of the PCV system is to pull fresh air through the crankcase to eliminate the moisture from condensation and the other bad stuff that accumulates from blowby from the combustion process. The cars in past years usually had a breather on one valve cover and the PCV valve on the other valve cover. This allowed fresh filtered air to circulate completely throughout the engine. The hose fitting on the driver's side valve cover works well for a PCV valve that you can buy at most parts stores. I used a piece of vacuum hose to connect it to the fitting and then 3/8's hose to connect to the large fitting on the rear of my Holley carb. My friend's 5.3 engine had a PCV factory installed here. Makes a cleaner look. The other side needs a filter of some type. You could probably get by with using a small filter on that tube you mentioned but I would prefer a larger filter. It needs to be baffled to keep oil from the rockers from getting up in the filter or from working out and making a mess of your engine. I reworked the oil fill cap for a K&N filter that had a baffled tube. This setup has worked very well for me in my LS2 powered street rod. No oil film escapes even with many shifts at 6800 RPMs. Sorry to be so long winded. Good luck on your project. Ron
Old 09-02-2010, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are a couple of pictures of what I was trying to explain. For some reason, I could'nt get them to attach to the first post. Ron
Attached Thumbnails LS6 Carb Conversion-cp46.jpg   LS6 Carb Conversion-cp66.jpg  

Quick Reply: LS6 Carb Conversion