Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock ls1 mounts on 68-72 gm a body

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 01:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock ls1 mounts on 68-72 gm a body

Im working on getting all the parts together to do my ls1 swap into my 72 olds cutlass. Ive already got my motor and trans of which is a 98 ls1 with 6 speed and still in the car and I plan to do the complete disc brake swap as well. My intentions for the car is for it to be drivable and reliable and enjoy it. Once I get more stuff together I will start a thread on my build. So on to my question....
Has anyone tried using the stock motor mount setup?
Ive searched and havent came across anything. If no one has tried I guess I will end up being the test dummy. I know with using the stock mounts it will most likely set the engine higher but could also give more ground clearance but I will also have to raise my tunnel even more but its got to be cut anyways.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1kbush
Im working on getting all the parts together to do my ls1 swap into my 72 olds cutlass. Ive already got my motor and trans of which is a 98 ls1 with 6 speed and still in the car and I plan to do the complete disc brake swap as well. My intentions for the car is for it to be drivable and reliable and enjoy it. Once I get more stuff together I will start a thread on my build. So on to my question....
Has anyone tried using the stock motor mount setup?
Ive searched and havent came across anything. If no one has tried I guess I will end up being the test dummy. I know with using the stock mounts it will most likely set the engine higher but could also give more ground clearance but I will also have to raise my tunnel even more but its got to be cut anyways.
iam getting ready to do it in about 2-3 weeks, i have searched as well with no luck. so we will see, i was thinking about cutting out 2 or 3" out of the stock purch. it all depends on how much i have to notch the frame for the a/c comp. (leaving it stock loc. as well) . i can send some pic when or if i get it to work, or like you wating for a little more stuff before i start my build.

sean
Old 10-25-2010, 07:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried using the stock mounts with the factory pedastals but couldnt get the motor to sit low enough with them.I used stock GM 3 bolt mounts and adapted them to the block...dont try to re-invent the wheel, it costs too much...
Old 10-25-2010, 09:01 AM
TECH Resident

The stock mounts worked perfect on my 65 cutlass. I simply cut down the oem f-body frame mounts and welded them to a new plate that bolted to my frame. Very easy to do or have done if you don't have a welder. You can see it in my build thread.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies. I was mainly looking at using the whole stock mount setup without modifying it. Just curious to how much higher it will sit and how the f body accesories fit within the frame and extra ground clearance.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1kbush
Thanks for the replies. I was mainly looking at using the whole stock mount setup without modifying it. Just curious to how much higher it will sit and how the f body accesories fit within the frame and extra ground clearance.
you cant use the whole pedastal mount in an A-Body
Old 10-25-2010, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Is there a reason that it wont work? Too tall or just in the wrong place? I just figured they might work since it all looks to sit in the frame as did older v8's did other than being a inch or so higher. The frame even looks to have the same angle.

Quick Reply: stock ls1 mounts on 68-72 gm a body