Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Powered 98 Toyota Tacoma (will update with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work!
Old 02-17-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome.
I'd like to see a 4X4 Taco with an LS1 in it.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Wow, I love I wanted a tacoma before, because I like they way they look..... Now I really want one!
Old 02-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Teching In

I"m almost doing the exact same thing. Except into a 4x4 T100.
Question though, are you trying to make it street legal? There's a lot of work going into making it look stock and keep it as your daily driver, but wont deleting the 02 sensors and other emissions stuff make it fail the inspection? Or is that just here in California?
Old 02-27-2011, 06:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DesertRat450
I"m almost doing the exact same thing. Except into a 4x4 T100.
Question though, are you trying to make it street legal? There's a lot of work going into making it look stock and keep it as your daily driver, but wont deleting the 02 sensors and other emissions stuff make it fail the inspection? Or is that just here in California?
Going to be an Arizona registered vehicle, no testing is done yet, by the time there is I should have all the emissions details worked out and it will pass.

I sent out my ECU to get reflashed for the deletes so the pesky VATS will quit doing its job, lol.

So I should have it up and running soon, then I will still need to work out the details like the AC function, wiring it up properly through the stock Toyota fuse/relay box, moving the center console and shifter cover back to coincide with the new shifter location, and work out all the little bugs. I am probably going to add another muffler to see if I can quiet it down bit as well so it isnt obvoius that I am packing a V8.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Got it up and running about a month ago, got the AC blowing Ice cold air, and everything else works like a charm, couldnt be happier, except an extra 100+ horsepower...

It fits like it belongs there, but it is tight in a couple of spots, but it is almost solid mounted so it moves very little.

I am currently working on a big brake kit for 1st gen Tacomas with Willwood components so the prototype should be on my truck later in the week.

I love the power however with my 3.14 rear gear it could use a bit more pep in the acceleration department so I am just going to eventually do heads and cam and see if that gets me where I want to be, and later I may even rebuild the motor and go with a big bore kit for an extra 50ci of displacement.

On the freeway I think my old Turbo 4cyl motor against the LS1 would be fairly even, but driveablility and towing with the LS1 would be far better as is the fuel mileage since this is my daily driver. I am curoius to see what my truck makes at the wheels on a Dyno just for ***** and giggles.

Here are some pics of it as a driver..

Name:  DSC00466.jpg
Views: 12489
Size:  166.5 KB

Name:  DSC00467.jpg
Views: 16666
Size:  190.9 KB

Name:  DSC00468.jpg
Views: 10449
Size:  147.7 KB

Name:  DSC00469.jpg
Views: 9034
Size:  111.4 KB

The exhaust comse out in the stock location, however it has an extra pipe..

I still need to build an aluminum cold air intake, clean up the wiring, and a few other things like add horsepower!!

Heres a pic of the brake kit I am working on..

Name:  DSC00464.jpg
Views: 9193
Size:  93.0 KB
Old 04-20-2011, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

OK so now it runs perfectly, ice cold AC, and I just put on some upgraded brakes so it stops very nicely now..

Now I want more power (that didnt take long, lol), however i think my main issue is gearing since I have a 3.14 in the rear, so something closer to the 3.43 would be nice, I am now thinking about picking up a Ford 8.8 for the rear with disks and an LSD, alhough I have LSD now..I would just change the gearing in my current 8.4 but in order to change the gearing higher (numerically) I would need to change the carrier and then the LSD goes away so thats getting pricey there..

Or I can just do something to the motor to get more power, still thinking FI but space is a major issue...now the quest for more speed!!!
Old 04-20-2011, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

It looks like you have space for a magnacharger. You should post some videos.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Launching!

Lets hear that exhaust and post up a vid
Old 04-20-2011, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Empatho
It looks like you have space for a magnacharger. You should post some videos.

I wish my wallet had space for that, those magnachargers are expensive!! I need to do something though, its just not fast enough yet...

I need to look into a used SC, but buying a used SC is a risky venture since it may need to be rebuilt..

I will check the Classifieds to see what they are going for.

I will post vids soon, just put the brake kit on but I think the machining on the caliper relocation brackets is causing a problem, I need to get some new ones machined since the other ones I got from a friend werent tapped striaight so the caliper wobbles under hard braking..not good.

If you know of anyplace to get a magna for a good price let me know, would love to have one, and it seems that I wont be able to fit a turbo so an SC is the only option other than just heads and cam..and an SC is my first choice.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

did you say as fast as the old 4cyl

im rocking a 95 taco as my DD now and it may be quick for a 2.4 or whatever, but its slower than my lt1 was...

im all for putting a blower on it, but is there some other issue there?
Old 05-27-2011, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Irish350
did you say as fast as the old 4cyl

im rocking a 95 taco as my DD now and it may be quick for a 2.4 or whatever, but its slower than my lt1 was...

im all for putting a blower on it, but is there some other issue there?
Haha, yeah, my old 4 cyl was a fully prepped turbo motor @25psi, thats why there is even a comparison, however the torque curve is much straighter in the LS1...

I am still hungry for power, probably going to build it into a 383 and do an H/C combo at the same time to add some ponies, that may be enough, or maybe I will still FI it...its never done.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

I'd vote for the axle swap before going too much further.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

holy crap thats a sweet build
Old 06-01-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

what hubs are those used for the brake pic?
Old 06-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Teching In

How long did it take you to do the conversion?? I have a 98 extended cab Tacoma as well. I was considering selling it but you've inspired me to do an LS1 conversion. Was it straightforward or did you have to do a lot of fabrication??
Old 06-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Teching In

wow interesting swap!
Old 07-31-2011, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TTLS1GP
what hubs are those used for the brake pic?
Those are the stock Tacoma hubs, I had the hats and brackets machined for me, the brakes are on and they work great! I will be releasing a BBK kit for the 95-2004 Tacomas within the next 6 months, stay tuned, lol.

Originally Posted by LarryYu
How long did it take you to do the conversion?? I have a 98 extended cab Tacoma as well. I was considering selling it but you've inspired me to do an LS1 conversion. Was it straightforward or did you have to do a lot of fabrication??
It took me about 2 months to get it to where it is now, well worth it as this motor is close to the same power as the turboed 4cyl I removed and its still stock, so its nice starting with 300+ horses and go up from there.

Originally Posted by battery1882
wow interesting swap!
Thanks!

SO now is the time to start making power, the issue first I believe is the 3.14 rear end gear ratio, seems to be killing the power quite a bit, so I will need to regear to 3.5X or 3.73 or somewhere in that area, I have the T56 so fuel mileage shouldnt be greatly affected.

I am also trying to make a plan for the motor as far as upping the power, so many options...thinking a remote turbo system, but I would rather have an SC for simplicity, but for the price of the SCs I have looked at it looks like a no go, I just am not willing to drop 6g+ on an SC when I can build a turbo system for much less since I can build the system myself.

FOr now its fun and has a lot of torque, but I am never satisfied. More, more!!
Old 04-01-2012, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

OK been driving the truck for about a year now with the LS1, I really like it, but now its time for more power...my plan:

TC72 or TC76 rear mount turbo with intercooler...and a way to get more rubber to the ground for traction, I am probably going to get some 10.5" wide rear wheels with wide rubber on them..

Now I need to see if I can save some cash on a used Turbowerx pump, some 60lb injectors, I already have HP Tuners Pro, and then go from there, I will post up all the pics of the work.

Talk about a sleeper! Cant wait till she is putting over 500hp to the wheels, and trust me its gonna happen, and yes I will build the internals and sort out the cooling issues to the rearmost cylinders before I push more than 7 psi, been doin my homework!
Old 04-02-2012, 09:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome. The only thing better might be 4WD!!!

Quick Reply: LS1 Powered 98 Toyota Tacoma (will update with pics)