Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 LM7 harness Generator Battery Control Module - Delete

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 02:42 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 06 LM7 harness Generator Battery Control Module - Delete

I'm working on the harness off my 06 silverado and I've hit a small road block. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the Generator Battery Control Module. Here are some options, but with questions:

1. Keep it.
If I do end up having to use it, do I have to put it back near the battery or can I put it on the ground cable that goes from the motor to the frame? If I have to put it back near the battery then I'll have to run some additional wires back up to the front to hook back into the harness. As far as I'm concerned this is the **** option.

2. Get rid of it. Ok, how? I did a ton of searching on the forums tonight and I can't seem to find any definate answers. If I can get rid of it, how hard would it be to convert to a one wire alternator, and how do I get the factory volt gauge to work?

I did a ton of searching on the forums tonight and I can't seem to find any definative answers on deleting it. I have seen where some people take the brown and grey wire from the alternator to a switched 12v source with a resistor on one of the wires. But I can't find an answer on what to do about the rest of the wires. If I remember right, there are 7 wires that connect to the GBCM. 2 appear to be grounds (black w/white stripe), 2 feed into the under hood fuse box (red w/black stripe), 1 wire that appears to go back into the cab, possibly for the instrument cluster (orange w/black stripe) and then the brown and grey to the alternator.

My truck appears to be different than any year model before it as the research I've done shows the 05 and earlier trucks with the alt. wires going to the pcm. Mine don't.

I would appreciate some help on this, I sure its been done, I just haven't found anyone that knows how to do it.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Here's the schematic of how it's hooked up. If you delete or it fails , the alternator will charge normally, 13.8 V. I left mine on but not sure if it functions as it should without being connected to the serial data to the dash.

Here's what I've found to delete it.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:38 AM
8 Second Truck Club

That still doesn't answer my questions. I know where the wires go.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:58 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Damn, I'm really at a loss on this. I can't find any definative answers anywhere. Do you guys know of anyone I could call? I'm not hip to all the conversion stuff and shops that specialize in that, but I'm guessing that is going to be my best bet for an answer.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06
Damn, I'm really at a loss on this. I can't find any definative answers anywhere. Do you guys know of anyone I could call? I'm not hip to all the conversion stuff and shops that specialize in that, but I'm guessing that is going to be my best bet for an answer.
Have you ever found an answer on wiring this? I also have an 06 harness and computer and would like to keep the GBCM. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06
I'm working on the harness off my 06 silverado and I've hit a small road block. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the Generator Battery Control Module. Here are some options, but with questions:

1. Keep it.
If I do end up having to use it, do I have to put it back near the battery or can I put it on the ground cable that goes from the motor to the frame? If I have to put it back near the battery then I'll have to run some additional wires back up to the front to hook back into the harness. As far as I'm concerned this is the **** option.

2. Get rid of it. Ok, how? I did a ton of searching on the forums tonight and I can't seem to find any definate answers. If I can get rid of it, how hard would it be to convert to a one wire alternator, and how do I get the factory volt gauge to work?

I did a ton of searching on the forums tonight and I can't seem to find any definative answers on deleting it. I have seen where some people take the brown and grey wire from the alternator to a switched 12v source with a resistor on one of the wires. But I can't find an answer on what to do about the rest of the wires. If I remember right, there are 7 wires that connect to the GBCM. 2 appear to be grounds (black w/white stripe), 2 feed into the under hood fuse box (red w/black stripe), 1 wire that appears to go back into the cab, possibly for the instrument cluster (orange w/black stripe) and then the brown and grey to the alternator.

My truck appears to be different than any year model before it as the research I've done shows the 05 and earlier trucks with the alt. wires going to the pcm. Mine don't.

I would appreciate some help on this, I sure its been done, I just haven't found anyone that knows how to do it.
Did you ever get the GBCM tor work correctly?
Old 06-05-2018, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by aleks2505
Have you ever found an answer on wiring this? I also have an 06 harness and computer and would like to keep the GBCM. Thanks.
Have you tried hooking up the orange and black wire to the serial data port?
Old 06-05-2018, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sorry, I have not tried yet, but all indications point that this is where it should go! I am still about a month away from putting the motor in and wiring it all up. If you happen to get there before I, please share your experience. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by aleks2505
I am sorry, I have not tried yet, but all indications point that this is where it should go! I am still about a month away from putting the motor in and wiring it all up. If you happen to get there before I, please share your experience. Thanks.
2 wires to the alternator, 2 wires to the battery, 2 wires to ground, 1 wire to serial data port - BOOM!!, it works!!!!

Quick Reply: 06 LM7 harness Generator Battery Control Module - Delete