Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CTS-V mani's-01 Camaro A.I.R relocation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CTS-V mani's-01 Camaro A.I.R relocation?

OK, I've got an 2001 SS camaro LS1 and am using CTS-V stock exhaust manifolds.
Question:
Since I'm going to need California emissions in the future, how does the cts-v A.I.R hook in-since there are no fittings on the exhaust manifolds?

I know I'll need the Air Injection Reaction system, I just don't know how it's set upon the CTS-V, maybe there isn't one on the CTS-V and I can pass my engine off as an LS6?
Thanks.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't help you on your question on what the CTS-V LS6 equipement looks like. But wanted to ping in and let you know what your getting into if your in Sunny California !

Legally, You can not mix and match emission parts that were not originally on your Camaro. But if they still function the same, you can usually get by (maybe).

So, if the CTS-V manifolds do not you the ports for the F-body LS1 AIR system, it will not pass visual and functional inspection.

To pass as a LS6, you would need to put all of the LS6 / CTS-V emission equipement on and get it re-certificed as a CTS-V car. Which also includes the LS6 engine.

But, why are you using the CTS-V manifolds ? just asking.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply, I've heard mixed results from CARB attempts, some say if the parts are stock for a V8 with 2 cats and 4 o2 sensors and the sniffer is clean-you will pass- this makes logical/rational sense!
This is of course dependat upon the person doing the inspection.
I've also heard/read that some of the CARB inspection people are so **** that they will fail you if the transmission is not engine correct......a case of not being able to see the forest through the tree's.

If California were truly intrested in emission compliance a simple sniffer test would show them all that they need to see.....but alas the New car dealer/manufacturers/special intrest groups have paid off the politicians and they have decieded to make getting smog approval a rediculous, expensive PITA, please don't blame the libral hippies for it, the Bussiness/special interest groups took this regulation into the B.S catagory....

I can only hope the SMOG inspector is a reasonble intelligent person that understands the true spirit of C.A.R.B and not some one who goes by the letter.
Worst case senario, I just keep the reg'd in WA-where there is NO SMOG testing for a 1983 vehicle
If thats the case, I'm going to fabricate a set of long tube headers!
Old 04-02-2011, 02:08 AM
On The Tree

The Cts-v mani's are the best fit to route my steering shaft around. I'll still need a double u-joint and bearing to get around them. If I knew more about steering rack swaps I'd just go that route
Old 04-02-2011, 02:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The '04 - '07 CTS-V does not utilize an AIR system.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Scatillac, It looks like I might have to sell this thing as a CTS-V LS6 engine.

Quick Reply: CTS-V mani's-01 Camaro A.I.R relocation?