Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 headache

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 5.3 headache

Guys Im catching hell getting my engine to stay running. The engine is a 5.3 thats been bored to 5.7, custom cam, and a Powerdyne sc. At one point the engine was starting and running flawlessly. I attempted to install a set of Harland Sharpe 1.85 roller rockers and some hardened pushrods. the rr's were suppose to be a direct bolt on requiring no other modifications for installation. So I get the rr's and pr's installed and torqued to specs. Go to start and the engine starts acting like something is binding up, its not spinning properly and its igniting and flaming up in the passenger side header collector as if its a bbq grill. So I attempt to adjust the rockers to see if that helps, but no dice. So I go back to the stock rockers and pushrods, try to start the engine and the same problem exist. I scan the pcm for dtc but none are available. I then pull the passenger side cylinder head just to make sure I havent had any ptv issues. the head is checked out at the machine shop, they claim the valve stems were 5 thousandths too long but that it shouldnt have been causing the issues Im experiencing. So i reinstall the head along with the stock rockers and pushrods again, hoping that just maybe the problem would be gone, still no dice. I need help here as its becoming increasingly frustrating, ive already put a sledgehammer thru the rear window of the vehicle. Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Sorry for the long post.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

You already were advised that the .005 valve deal was bullshit.
The flaming pipe comment got some suggestions... Don't see that you have followed thru... Only knocked out a $100 window...
Pull the plugs, disconnect the inj harness, and see if it still "binds up" when you spin it over...
U R either injecting fuel at the wrong time, or lighting it at the wrong time....
Timing chain phucked up, putting the cam out of time?
Old 04-09-2011, 08:14 AM
TECH Regular

Is it possible that you got your ignition coil harness swapped bank to bank?
Old 04-09-2011, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the others. What harness are you running? If its a custom I would suspect the coils or injectors are miswired.

Also check that you have a ground strap from the engine to the frame. If the starters trying to ground through something other than a clean ground, it will ground through anything else engine mount, fuel line, etc resulting in something burning or just a slow crank.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:56 AM
TECH Resident

ignition coils arent crossed, injectors are where they need to be. Gonna pull plugs and injectors to see if it still binds, do a compression test and pull timing cover to inspect chain. Any chance cam sensor can be bad without throwing a dtc?

Quick Reply: 5.3 headache